Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermatic PE653RC MultiWave Z-wave Pool/Spa/Home Control

Hi,

Does this integrate nicely with Homeseer? What functions are available (just binary switches or temp too)?

Intermatic PE653RC MultiWave Z-wave Pool/Spa/Home Control

Thanks.

This is the first time I've ever seen or heard about this device. Let us know how this works with HomeSeer if you get one.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi,

I'm scared to hear that. I got one for Christmas from my wife. We want to automate the spa. I'm not sure how it will show up in Homeseer, especially the feature that let's you set the spa temperature (a thermostat perhaps?).

Will let you know once I hook it up. Maybe I'll try adding it to the zwave network first and then to the spa later.

Comment

Hi Again,

Well I hooked it all up. Connected the pe653 to homeseer and not too good. Basically, this device has 5 relays, a thermostat and possibly other stuff. I use it in spa mode only (not pool mode). Once imported into Homeseer using my Aeon Labs USB stick, the following showed up:

Child 27 Switch Binary Q18 Z-Wave Switch Binary
        Child 27 Switch Binary Inst 1 Q12 Z-Wave Switch Binary
        Child 27 Switch Binary Inst 2 Q13 Z-Wave Switch Binary
        Child 27 Switch Binary Inst 3 Q14 Z-Wave Switch Binary
        Child 27 Switch Binary Inst 4 Q15 Z-Wave Switch Binary
        Child 27 Switch Binary Inst 5 Q16 Z-Wave Switch Binary
        Child 27 Temperature Q17 Z-Wave Sensor Multilevel Temperature
        Temperature: 18.3C
        Setpoint (Off): Not Applicable
        Mode: Off
        Fan: Auto
        Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Root Device 27 Q11 (27) Z-Wave Root Device

At first glance it's all good. However, the Thermostat does not allow to set a set point. The reported temp is good though. There also seems to be an extra binary switch. As I mentioned, the box has 5 relays, which I assume are the 5 Inst ones above, not sure what the Q18 is. The biggest problem is that triggering any of the binary switches results in only the first relay responding. So if I trigger Inst 1, relay one triggers, if I trigger Inst 3, relay 1 again triggers, and so on, always relay 1.

If I program the pe653 with the remote controller that came with it, all works well. Their remote is also a zwave device.

I would appreciate any help or debugging possible. I've invested a lot into homeseer and really don't want to use other software. I've read that Verde has had some success with this device, but not sure, makes me think that it is possible. I got this pe653 as a gift this Christmas from my wife, so please don't post that I should have read prior to buying it :-)

Thanks.

Comment

Here is some additional information from Intermatic support:

Comment

If you can contact me via email and let me know who (or contact information) for Intermatic support that you got that answer from, I would appreciate it because most of what they wrote is pure bunk...

For one thing, we have been supporting multi-instance for years - our own HSM100 uses it - and support is wrong in that it is now called multi_channel. Secondly, there is no reduced functionality - you have all of the 5 relays, and the "extra" one is by THEIR design and is explained in more detail in this post.

As for the setpoint not being there, it would be present in the Z-Wave thermostat plug-in if the setpoint is indeed defined in the device. Some controllers will not allow you to change the setpoint via Z-Wave. If this is your first device that appears similar to a thermostat, then you may have to restart HomeSeer for the Thermostat plug-in to take effect - at startup, if there are thermostat devices, then the thermostat plug-in functionality for Z-Wave is enabled.

If you can email me the lines from the log from when you added this, OR send me the information displayed for this device in your ZWho page, then I can see if from that information I can tell if it has thermostat functionality or not. It may be that while HomeSeer does support multi_channel, that there are places where it is not fully supported such as the thermostat plug-in.

Oh and as a side note, Intermatic got out of the Z-Wave business, so how do they know what we do and do not work with?
            Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Hi, and thank you for replying. I am just asking the Intermatic folks if I can share their contact info and will contact you privately if they ok it.

Just to answer a couple of your questions. Yes, I do have other thermostats and they work fine in Homeseer with the plugin. The pe653 thermostat shows up, but gives and error.

The loss in functionality with the binary switches is there. It always switches relay # 1, regardless of which switch I trigger (#1-#5). Not sure who's fault but i cannot trigger relays 2-5 with Homeseer.

As requested, here's the "who am I" info on this device (i'm sorry I don't know how to paste it nicer):

HTML Code:
              27	Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface Root Device 27	  	 Intermatic	 5045 H	 653 H	 True	 2.78 (ZDK Version 5.02 Patch 3) App: 3.1	Unknown (0)	 40.0Kbps	 Basic: ROUTING SLAVE
              Generic: SWITCH BINARY
               	 MANUFACTURER PROPRIETARY, POWERLEVEL, MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC, VERSION, CLOCK, MULTI INSTANCE, CONFIGURATION V2, ASSOCIATION V2, SWITCH BINARY, SWITCH ALL, THERMOSTAT SETPOINT, SENSOR
              Here's the log from when I added to the system:

HTML Code:
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~**********
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~********** Adding Z-Wave Device with Node ID of 27 Type GENERIC_TYPE_SWITCH_BINARY=10H **********
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~**********
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Contacting node 27 to get supported features
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Attempting to get manufacturer ID from device 27...
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Wave manufacturer ID: 5=5H (Intermatic), Type: 20549=5045H, ID: 1619=653H
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Device: Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface  (Node 27) supports class(es): COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_PROPRIETARY, COMMAND_CLASS_POWERLEVEL, COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC, COMMAND_CLASS_VERSION, COMMAND_CLASS_CLOCK, COMMAND_CLASS_MULTI_INSTANCE, COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION_V2, COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION_V2, COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_BINARY, COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_ALL, COMMAND_CLASS_THERMOSTAT_SETPOINT, COMMAND_CLASS_SENSOR_MULTILEVEL
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Z-Wave device 27 version: Lib: 2.78 App: 3.1
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Device supports 1 groups for associations
              09/01/2012 11:04:55 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~Enabling instant status for Z-Wave device Z-Wave Z-Wave Interface  (27)
              09/01/2012 11:04:57 PM ~!~Z-Wave~!~********** Done with Z-Wave Device with Node ID of 27 **********
              09/01/2012 11:04:58 PM ~!~ZWave Thermostats~!~Devices Updated for thermostat: Root Device 27
              09/01/2012 11:05:00 PM ~!~ZWave Thermostats~!~Setting Thermostat Heat setpoint to 18
              09/01/2012 11:05:04 PM ~!~ZWave Thermostats~!~2 Thermostats converted Successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentcossack View Post
                The pe653 thermostat shows up, but gives and error.
                Um, I need a little more detail... Gives an error when you try to control it? Gives an error in the log? (If so, what does it say?) Gives an error on the thermostat plug-in control page? (If so, what is the number?) - I have nothing to work with here.
                The loss in functionality with the binary switches is there. It always switches relay # 1, regardless of which switch I trigger (#1-#5). Not sure who's fault but i cannot trigger relays 2-5 with Homeseer.
                By "trigger" do you mean turn on and off, or trigger as in an event trigger?

MANUFACTURER PROPRIETARY
                This means that some commands are hidden from us unless Intermatic gives us the "secret sauce".

THERMOSTAT SETPOINT
                So the fact that thermostat mode, fan mode, and operating state are not there could very well be why there is an error in the Z-Wave Thermostat plug-in. Some changes were made to HomeSeer recently to address some of these situations where it is not a "full" thermostat, but those were intended to be a patch until HS3 where we are doing away with the Z-Wave Thermostat plug-in. I will definitely need to know more about the errors to know if we can do a quick fix.
                Regards,

Comment

Hi, thanks again for your input and help. Here are some details:

Um, I need a little more detail... Gives an error when you try to control it? Gives an error in the log? (If so, what does it say?) Gives an error on the thermostat plug-in control page? (If so, what is the number?) - I have nothing to work with here.
                  Error is shown when i got to the thermostat plugin page. Here's the screenshot:

http://www.box.com/s/o19u2uv87oplnua43kks

By "trigger" do you mean turn on and off, or trigger as in an event trigger?
                  Yes, I mean when I use the on/off buttons in the status page. Always switches the first relay, regardless of which one I actually press. However, if I manually trigger a relay on the device and after a refresh of the status page in homeseer, the status is properly reflected on the correct input.

This means that some commands are hidden from us unless Intermatic gives us the "secret sauce".
                  That's probably true, since their own zwave remote offers more options. In homeseer, controlling the 5 relays and seeing and setting the temperature is all that would be needed to fully use this device (at least for spa control).

So the fact that thermostat mode, fan mode, and operating state are not there could very well be why there is an error in the Z-Wave Thermostat plug-in. Some changes were made to HomeSeer recently to address some of these situations where it is not a "full" thermostat, but those were intended to be a patch until HS3 where we are doing away with the Z-Wave Thermostat plug-in. I will definitely need to know more about the errors to know if we can do a quick fix.
                  I would appreciate any patch or any other workarounds that you may suggest. Thank you.

Comment

OK, we can address these issues in HS3.
                    Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                      OK, we can address these issues in HS3.
                      Ok.

Is there an ETA on HS3? I'm guessing it will not be a free upgrade for HS2 users?

Thanks.

UPDATE: Never-mind, found my answers. ETA on HS3 is soon (maybe Beta any day now). Not free, likely similar price to the current upgrade from HS1.
                      Last edited by Silentcossack; January 10, 2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I know I'm annoying, but I have another question. If the problem with the thermostat is a bug in the thermostat plugin, can I use the Homeseer's API to send a command to the thermostat directly. I'm already doing that with my other thermostat and that's how I was planning to use it anyway.

Basically is the problem likely in the plugin UI, or somewhere deeper such that API calls will be affected too?

Thanks.

Comment

I know I'm annoying, but I have another question. If the problem with the thermostat is a bug in the thermostat plugin, can I use the Homeseer's API to send a command to the thermostat directly. I'm already doing that with my other thermostat and that's how I was planning to use it anyway.

Basically is the problem likely in the plugin UI, or somewhere deeper such that API calls will be affected too?

Thanks.
                          The Z-Wave procedures that send/receive Z-Wave are not accessible to plug-ins or scripts, so unfortunately you cannot. However, while I am not sure why the thermostat plug-in is not displaying a setpoint box, there is a command that should be accessible to you in the thermostat API which would allow the setpoint to be set. There is a thermostat enumeration and test script posted somewhere on this board (both .VB and .VBS versions) that exposes and tests thermostats handled by thermostat plug-ins. If you ran that and found that it worked with this device, then you could go on to use that as a basis for sending a setpoint command. I'll attach the scripts here to save you having to search (or at least I'll try) and if you want more details about the thermostat API, download and install the Plug-In SDK.
                          Attached Files
                          Regards,

Comment

Ok.

Is there an ETA on HS3? I'm guessing it will not be a free upgrade for HS2 users?

Thanks.

UPDATE: Never-mind, found my answers. ETA on HS3 is soon (maybe Beta any day now). Not free, likely similar price to the current upgrade from HS1.
                            We do not have an ETA for HS3 yet. Upgrade costs have not yet been determined. If you're on the mailing list, you'll be notified as to the upgrade details as soon as we release them.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks! I'm already using the plugin API for my other thermostat. I wrote a webservice in .net that I call from a custom UI and the webservice calls the thermostat plugin api to do setpoint and other available commands. What i'll do is try and tweak it to try a setpoint on the pe653 and report back. If that worked then I could potentially solve my issue with the temperature.

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
                              The Z-Wave procedures that send/receive Z-Wave are not accessible to plug-ins or scripts, so unfortunately you cannot. However, while I am not sure why the thermostat plug-in is not displaying a setpoint box, there is a command that should be accessible to you in the thermostat API which would allow the setpoint to be set. There is a thermostat enumeration and test script posted somewhere on this board (both .VB and .VBS versions) that exposes and tests thermostats handled by thermostat plug-ins. If you ran that and found that it worked with this device, then you could go on to use that as a basis for sending a setpoint command. I'll attach the scripts here to save you having to search (or at least I'll try) and if you want more details about the thermostat API, download and install the Plug-In SDK.

Comment

Working...
                              X