This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
    Yup. But every time you change that file don't forget to rvmsudo siriproxy update . (Notice the period).
    Indeed I saw that and took note of these important little things

as you mentioned before, with Siriproxy the possibilities are endless....

I will start doing in-depth testing and scripting. So far this is looking great.

Thanks again
    Sylvain

Comment

Originally posted by Raven_ View Post
      Indeed I saw that and took note of these important little things

as you mentioned before, with Siriproxy the possibilities are endless....

I will start doing in-depth testing and scripting. So far this is looking great.

Thanks again
      Sylvain
      Should be in rb file. I think you need to read the sections about customizing abd adding plugins in part 1 carefully

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
      HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
      2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
      USB UIRT
      Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
      WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
      HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
      HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
      2GIG Thermostat
      BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
      BLUPS
      UltraLog (SQL2008)
      Jon00 Plugins
      Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
      Global Cache IP2IR
      Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
        Should be in rb file. I think you need to read the sections about customizing abd adding plugins in part 1 carefully
        Hi Mark,

Will do. I'm just starting now to play around with the first events and scripts.

Thanks again for all your amazing work on this.

Sylvain

Comment

Hi Mark,

Will do. I'm just starting now to play around with the first events and scripts.

Thanks again for all your amazing work on this.

Sylvain

Before playing with events and scripts I'd just get it to respond to some phrases, so at least you can verify the basics are working and you know how to configure and rebuild the proxy

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
          USB UIRT
          HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
          2GIG Thermostat
          BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
          BLUPS
          UltraLog (SQL2008)
          Jon00 Plugins
          Global Cache IP2IR
          Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Great to see others getting this up and running. I wanted to add that I have Virtualbox running on my 27" iMac quad core 2.7 Ghz with 12 gig ram. I have been using win7 in Virtualbox for an older MS money program. Wish a windows box could run Win7 as fast as Virtualbox does. It is possible to use the VMware image Mark provided in Virtual box with no modifications and it's smokin fast!

Ok so then I cloned it in Virtualbox. When you do this the clone uses the same MAC address. If you run the original and clone at the same time you get an Ip conflict. To solve this I did a little reading on how to change the MAC address in the clone. Then reserved both Mac addresses in my Apple time capsule with their own IP address.

So what good is this? I can now have both running with my wife's iPad pointing to the clone with the example file in the clone customized for her.

This may not interest anyone but I just wanted to post my lasts week progress and maybe interest others as well.

Joe

Comment

Got Siri Working with HomeSeer!

Originally posted by X10joe View Post
              Great to see others getting this up and running. I wanted to add that I have Virtualbox running on my 27" iMac quad core 2.7 Ghz with 12 gig ram. I have been using win7 in Virtualbox for an older MS money program. Wish a windows box could run Win7 as fast as Virtualbox does. It is possible to use the VMware image Mark provided in Virtual box with no modifications and it's smokin fast!

Ok so then I cloned it in Virtualbox. When you do this the clone uses the same MAC address. If you run the original and clone at the same time you get an Ip conflict. To solve this I did a little reading on how to change the MAC address in the clone. Then reserved both Mac addresses in my Apple time capsule with their own IP address.

So what good is this? I can now have both running with my wife's iPad pointing to the clone with the example file in the clone customized for her.

This may not interest anyone but I just wanted to post my lasts week progress and maybe interest others as well.

Joe
              Forgive me but what is the point of having 2 running? Can't you just change the example file on one to suit both your and her needs?

Comment

Originally posted by jayman13 View Post
                Forgive me but what is the point of having 2 running? Can't you just change the example file on one to suit both your and her needs?
                I believe this was a learning exercise for me wanting to learn my way around the command line side of Ubuntu. It also let me have a set of voice commands that my wife can use with out fear of her turning something on when I am not home that she would not know or forgot the voice command to turn off. Keeping WAF a positive experience really helps!
                Last edited by X10joe; February 15, 2013, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Before playing with events and scripts I'd just get it to respond to some phrases, so at least you can verify the basics are working and you know how to configure and rebuild the proxy
                  Hi Mark,

I am happy to report that everything is working so far. I did some simple message commands and then I did my 1st simple event action and my siri command went though without a hitch and I saw my overhead fireplace lights come on...yes!!!

Now the real fun begins creating all the extensive scripts. Last year when I first saw some youtube videos about siri controlling automation lights I danced for joy until I heard this was running with ruby scripts and linux for which I had no experience with. Your VM image made my life SO much easier since I can manage with the rest. Thanks alot for all your work and support. Having Siri controlling the house is something out of the jetsons (well almost)

I don't even think that other more expensive off-the-shelf voice controlled systems can even match this.

Cheers
                  Sylvain

Comment

Last year when I first saw some youtube videos about siri controlling automation lights I danced for joy until I heard this was running with ruby scripts and linux for which I had no experience with. Your VM image made my life SO much easier since I can manage with the rest. Thanks alot for all your work and support. Having Siri controlling the house is something out of the jetsons (well almost)
                    I tried it last year and failed. Got tons of Ruby errors while trying to install. Wasted a LOT of time on it and gave up. I think the problem is that the installation is different depending on the Linux distro/version you have. So unless you start from the same point as the person who wrote the instructions, there's lots of oppotunity for errors. To make matters worse, I know nothing about Ruby, knew nothing about the package manager (apt-get) at the time and haven't used Unix for a long time, so really had no idea where the problems were. I started playing with MythTV some weeks ago, so got to understand stuff like package manager and other Linux things, so I was able to overcome all errors I encountered.

Starting from a working version (or an exact base) clearly makes the whole process easier.

Glad you're up and running and looking forward to hearing how you use it.

I use it a lot more than I thought it would as it's easier to press and hold the home button and speak than swipe, click HomeSeer, wait for it to connect/reconnect, etc. Using the App is probably quicker from swipe to the event completing, but the human involvment is much longer than saying "Living Room Lights Up" for example.

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                    USB UIRT
                    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                    2GIG Thermostat
                    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                    BLUPS
                    UltraLog (SQL2008)
                    Jon00 Plugins
                    Global Cache IP2IR
                    Foscam FI8918W

Comment

I tried it last year and failed. Got tons of Ruby errors while trying to install. Wasted a LOT of time on it and gave up. I think the problem is that the installation is different depending on the Linux distro/version you have. So unless you start from the same point as the person who wrote the instructions, there's lots of oppotunity for errors. To make matters worse, I know nothing about Ruby, knew nothing about the package manager (apt-get) at the time and haven't used Unix for a long time, so really had no idea where the problems were. I started playing with MythTV some weeks ago, so got to understand stuff like package manager and other Linux things, so I was able to overcome all errors I encountered.

Starting from a working version (or an exact base) clearly makes the whole process easier.

Glad you're up and running and looking forward to hearing how you use it.

I use it a lot more than I thought it would as it's easier to press and hold the home button and speak than swipe, click HomeSeer, wait for it to connect/reconnect, etc. Using the App is probably quicker from swipe to the event completing, but the human involvment is much longer than saying "Living Room Lights Up" for example.
                      wow. I can imagine the huge number of hours you went through. I would have given up way before. Your right that having the same base to work with makes all this much more feasible.

Like you I will use this alot more than opening up HS and going through the options. I don't have the mobile HS version running on my iPhone 5 so everytime I have to zoom in on the desktop version with my phone which is ridiculous and the icons are so small. Using spoken commands is going to be ideal.

Cheers

Comment

Concerning the thermostat siriproxy script, does this work with a Venstar stat? I am currently using the sage thermostat plugin for HS

http://www.sage-software.com/index.p...n-for-homeseer

I noticed in the instructions that your stat had an IP but my stat has an INSTEON address.

I was able to create events to set Heat or Cool mode and then specify a temperature but obviously I don't get feedback as far as what is the temperature inside the house, etc. - hence just a one-way comm
                        Last edited by Raven_; February 15, 2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Got Siri Working with HomeSeer!

Concerning the thermostat siriproxy script, does this work with a Venstar stat? I am currently using the sage thermostat plugin for HS

http://www.sage-software.com/index.p...n-for-homeseer

I noticed in the instructions that your stat had an IP but my stat has an INSTEON address.

I was able to create events to set Heat or Cool mode and then specify a temperature but obviously I don't get feedback as far as what is the temperature inside the house, etc. - hence just a one-way comm
                          No, I believe that is specific to the api on that particular brand. Ie., if not 3M it wouldn't work.

Comment

Multiple subnets at home

You'd need VPN connection for it to work from outside
                            How will/can this work if my iPhone is on a different subnet than my HS server and/or Siriproxy?

I haven't started yet, but have started reading and planning. Right now, my HS server is on (let's say) subnet 192.168.6.x and my iOS devices connect to subnet 192.168.7.x. So, from Internet, it goes...

INTERNET >> 192.168.6.x (this is where HS lives) >> 192.168.7.x (this is where iOS and rest of my internal network lives).

I have no trouble getting to the .6.x subnet from .7.x, but there is no path back. So, where would/should the Siriproxy go? I was thinking of running a VM on the same machine as HS Server on the .6.x subnet, but am open to other options. Would this work? Would I need to open a port through the .7.x subnet's router to allow the Siriproxy to talk back to the iPhone? Or, can/should the Siriproxy be on the internal .7.x subnet where the iOS devices are? In that case, the Siriproxy should have no problem communicating to HS, but does HS need to talk back to Siriproxy?

Comment

In case this helps anyone getting started in setting this up, here is a list of my commands so far. I am very much a novice with Regex and was getting a lot of false matches when I started out, using \b makes all the difference :-) The following shows building up various phrases so that Siri feels more natural rather than only ever matching a single exact phrase for a specific command.

listen_for /\b(random lights on|turn( the)? random lights on)\b/i do
                              say "Turning random lights on"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh Activate Random Lights}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(random lights off|turn( the)? random lights off)\b/i do
                              say "Turning random lights off"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh Disable random lights}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(heat boost|send heat boost|heating on|turn on ( the)? heating|turn( the)? heating on)\b/i do
                              say "Turning the heating on"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh siri_heat_boost}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(hot water|turn on( the)?( hot)? water|hot water on|turn( the)?( hot)? water on)\b/i do
                              say "Turning hot water on"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh siri_hot water}
                              request_completed
                              end

listen_for /\b(bedroom Air conditioning on|Turn on( the)? bedroom Air Conditioning|Switch on( the)? bedroom air conditioning|bedroom room Air conditioning on|Turn on( the)? bedroom room Air Conditioning|Switch on( the)? bedroom room air conditioning)\b/i do
                              say "Turning bedroom Aircon On"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh bedroom_aircon_on}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(bedroom Air conditioning off|Turn off( the)? bedroom Air Conditioning|Switch off( the)? bedroom air conditioning|bedroom room Air conditioning off|Turn off( the)? bedroom room Air Conditioning|Switch off( the)? bedroom room air conditioning)\b/i do
                              say "Turning bedroom Aircon Off"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh bedroom_aircon_off}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(lounge Air conditioning on|Turn on( the)? lounge Air Conditioning|Switch on( the)? lounge air conditioning|living room Air conditioning on|Turn on( the)? living room Air Conditioning|Switch on( the)? living room air conditioning)\b/i do
                              say "Turning lounge Aircon On"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh lounge_aircon_on}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(lounge Air conditioning off|Turn off( the)? lounge Air Conditioning|Switch off( the)? lounge air conditioning|living room Air conditioning off|Turn off( the)? living room Air Conditioning|Switch off( the)? living room air conditioning)\b/i do
                              say "Turning lounge Aircon Off"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh lounge_aircon_off}
                              request_completed
                              end

listen_for /\b(turn on( the)? bedroom tv|turn on( the)? bedroom television|turn( the)? bedroom television on|bedroom tv on)\b/i do
                              say "turning bedroom tv on"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh siri_bedroom_tv_on}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(turn off( the)? bedroom tv|turn( the)? bedroom tv off|turn off( the)? bedroom television|turn( the)? bedroom television off|bedroom tv off)\b/i do
                              say "Turning bedroom tv off"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh siri_bedroom_tv_off}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(turn on lounge tv|turn( the)? lounge tv on|turn on( the)? lounge television|turn( the)? lounge television on|lounge tv on|turn on( the)? living room tv|turn( the)? living room tv on|turn on( the)? living room television|turn( the)? living room television on|living room tv on)\b/i do
                              say "turning lounge tv on"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh siri_lounge_tv_on}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(turn off( the)? lounge tv|turn( the)? lounge tv off|turn off( the)? lounge television|turn( the)? lounge television off|lounge tv off|turn off( the)? living room tv|turn( the)? living room tv off|turn off( the)? living room television|turn( the)? living room television off|living room tv off)\b/i do
                              say "Turning lounge tv off"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh siri_lounge_tv_off}
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(turn all( the)? lights off|switch all( the)? lights off)\b/i do
                              response = ask "Are you sure you want to turn all lights off?"
                              if (response=~ /yes/i)
                              say "OK. Turning all lights off"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh all lights off}
                              else
                              say "Ok, request cancelled"
                              end
                              request_completed
                              end
                              listen_for /\b(set( the)? alarm|change( the)? alarm|modify( the)? alarm|amend( the)? alarm)\b/i do
                              response = ask "Which mode would you like the alarm set to? Day mode, All on, All off, or timer?"
                              case
                              when (response =~ /day mode/i)
                              say "OK, setting alarm to day mode."
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh siri_alarm_day}
                              when (response =~ /all on/i)
                              say "OK, setting alarm to all on"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh siri_alarm_allon}
                              when (response =~ /all off/i)
                              say "OK, setting alarm to all off"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh siri_alarm_alloff}
                              when (response =~ /timer/i)
                              say "OK, setting alarm to timer"
                              puts %x{/home/siri/SiriProxy/TriggerEvent.sh alarm timed on 5 min}
                              else
                              say "Invalid mode. System arming aborted"
                              end
                              request_completed
                              end

Comment

Originally posted by greyt View Post
                                In case this helps anyone getting started in setting this up, here is a list of my commands so far. I am very much a novice with Regex and was getting a lot of false matches when I started out, using \b makes all the difference :-) The following shows building up various phrases so that Siri feels more natural rather than only ever matching a single exact phrase for a specific command.
                                Thanks this looks great. Can you explain what each different 'listen' does in relation to the regex you defined? I'm still learning regex and would love to know in more laymen terms what the conditions mean.

example:

listen_for /\b(heat boost|send heat boost|heating on|turn on ( the)? heating|turn( the)? heating on)\b/i do

listen_for /\b(set( the)? alarm|change( the)? alarm|modify( the)? alarm|amend( the)? alarm)\b/i do
                                response = ask "Which mode would you like the alarm set to? Day mode, All on, All off, or timer?"

listen_for /\b(bedroom Air conditioning on|Turn on( the)? bedroom Air Conditioning|Switch on( the)? bedroom air conditioning|bedroom room Air conditioning on|Turn on( the)? bedroom room Air Conditioning|Switch on( the)? bedroom room air conditioning)\b/i do

I am also looking for way to make Siri more natural than just saying the exact command.

Thanks
                                Sylvain

Comment

Working...
                                X