No announcement yet.

PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Bob_Linux_User, I know you have been searching too so you have seen a lot of what is available. Could you give us your opinion of the machine and the deal?
    The box as configured meets all of the requirements to have a really good firewall. The price point is also very good. If the size of the box does not cause a problem, it would be hard to beat. If you are seeking low wattage and small foot print, it is more difficult to find.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
      I have also been looking at available pfsense appliances for this cause. I have found two possible candidates. One refurbished and one new. Also different price points.

The first is a refurbished micro without a HDD or SSD but the same seller has the same box with pfsense preloaded and a 2GB SSD for a few dollars more. This box has dual Intel NIC ports. It also only has 2GB RAM which would work fine if you do not plan to use Squid (Proxy Server). It is not AES-NI capable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Intel-A...3D322595456533

The second is a really good choice and has every thing in a small package but is $349.00 plus shipping. It is an Intel i5 with AES-NI and has dual Intel NIC ports. This would be a good long term appliance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i...oAAOSw7ThUg-j4

Bob
      Bob,

I looked at both of those. Here are my feelings.

I am wanting 4 physical networks. One for WAN and 3 for LAN. Internal LAN will consist of trusted, guest, and untrusted zones. Each of those will have a low dollar router strictly managing that single network. pfSense will be able to control all traffic between the nodes on the LAN as well as what each of the networks can do in terms of the WAN. The untrusted network is where all my IOT devices will go. Cameras, wemo, and arduino type devices. All of mine and my wife's devices will be on the trusted network. Segregated wifi too of course.

On the second link to the Intel I5 machine, it looks powerful. As far as the 320GB disk, that is a lot. But it is not SSD. On the pfSense machine, all I am expecting I will need in terms of big storage is when I run a capture for a period of time. That will be seldom once I reach steady state. At that time, I wouldn't want to be paying for the power to spin that disk. For that reason, I'm thinking SSD is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
        The box as configured meets all of the requirements to have a really good firewall. The price point is also very good. If the size of the box does not cause a problem, it would be hard to beat. If you are seeking low wattage and small foot print, it is more difficult to find.

Bob
        Size (from my searching) seems to be:

Size - Width 22 cm
        Size - Depth 6.5 cm
        Size - Height 24 cm

Comment

Size (from my searching) seems to be:

Size - Width 22 cm
          Size - Depth 6.5 cm
          Size - Height 24 cm
          I am currently using a similar computer now. It is a re purposed Asus that was a media server sometime back. As you see from the screen shots below it is way overkill as far as disk space. I personally only needed two ethernet ports but I am sure many will want to run subnets.

Bob
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes here current PFSense box is using a BCM mITX motherboard with two Intel Nics on board plus a pcie riser with 4 Intel NICs. Foot print is mITX media server case. Low profile and multimedia like. Nothing fancy and it does the job. I am using failover on the two WAN ports and utilize the extra LAN ports mostly for testing stuff.

It doesn't work hard at all.

Really all you need is a 16Gb or 32Gb SSD or even a USB stick will work. With 4-8 Gb of RAM PFSense can run in memory.

My wishes for a small footprint 4 port mini box are still there. (getting difficult in my search).

My last group buy many many years ago I just purchased a bunch of micro pcs (which were a great deal at the time) which worked great at the time for touchscreen computers. I simply divided the spend by the number of computers I purchased and added the USPS shipping costs making that all the same for each box (used USPS shipping boxes).

I do no know what sort of interest we can get for the spend of close to $200 per box.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, you are right. At a fair market value of $200, not everybody jumps at it nearly as fast as we did at $100. I'm hoping you find that $100 perfect item. If you can get great availability, you should have a winner. Nothing near what you describe for $100 on Aliexpress, eBay, or Amazon. I can't even reason out how the components could be sourced for that amount. The 16GB SSD alone in a reasonable quality is about $25. The 4 port Intel network card is about $25. Doesn't take long to exhaust $100. Much harder still to cover all costs.

I've decided to take my own route so unfortunately, I have to ask you to take my name off the list for the first round. Now, if you are able to put together what you have described, and deliver with good results, I'd be interested in second round. I have a second location that will ultimately get reworked too.

Watching this thread closely.

Robert

Comment

Thank you Robert and understood.

Here have updated my PFSense box based on an mITX multiple NIC card three times. You can purchase today a refurb mITX multiple NIC motherboard and case very cheap these days.

Current BCM mother board was a "lot" purchase of new old stock - ~8 motherboards. My favorite current mITX was the same purchased two cases (boxes) of multiple cases. Small footprint 2U boxes but not 2U wide.

First PFSense rendention started with a D525 mITX board. (90's-2000's it started as hand me down desktops - IBM/Compaq - didn't build any of these because I got them for free).

Laptops refurbished with i5's are now around $100. But it's only one NIC.

Recently a Lenova i540 dropped on my lap (for free). The design sucks and that is why Lenova is losing the contract with said company. For free though it doesn't bug me as I am updating the keypad and keyboard. (still like my HP better though).

IE: a refurbished SFF Dell i5 with 4Gb and 320Gb hard drive for $79 USD would make a nice PFSense box with added pcie multiple NIC cards (2 or 4).

OK so now venturing to new territory here with a new device and old MFG company...NOT based in mainlan China.

Design is based on the nano ITX board above mentioned with 4 NICs and 1 Serial port except not using a J1900 rather now using one of the two available new Intel CPUs. This would be a standout device and most likely first of it's kind. Current dialog is sort of like having a restaurant menu and a la carting your meal. The wish list is on a drawing board and really relates to best deal for the buck. It is actually for two products (firewalls).

1 -

2 -

The list on the OP is interest in mostly for a $100 small nITX based firewall using up to 15watts which is what I am looking for.

The market price is tight for these boxes.
                Last edited by Pete; July 25, 2017, 07:35 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hey Pete, maybe just source something out that is as close to the price as possible and take another poll. Personally I am ok with paying a bit more to get a proper unit and right now just need a device to start my project.

Comment

Thank you Wayne...

I am sort of right doing that now....still trying to get a new as ordered built for best price...with that newer price may start a new poll or quit trying....

...dialog has gone now to MFG (no distributor or no middle manager no ebay, no amazon, no aliexpress - rather direct dialog with owner of mfg company ) and a back and forth wish list...whole endeavor now though is not to use a J1900...old mfg company ....think of it like an automated dynamic mfg company.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Looked at a proposed new 4 port motherboard with above mentioned chip sets from an established MFG today.

Too big...mITX board...
                      But is based on Intel Atom C3000 SoC / 16core Denverton SoC / up to 128 Gb of DDR4 memory, 2 Gb and 2 10Gb ports and 8 SATA ports plus .m2 drive. It is a combo NAS and 4 port motherboard.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

I'm okay spending more because I value the effort and expertise you bring to this endeavor.
                        Michael

Comment

Full disclosure, I ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am sure it will be overkill for the near future
                          cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post

4 ports is pretty sweet. That proc is probably overkill but the AES-NI Support is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post

That's really nice! Are you going to load it with USB?

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                                That's really nice! Are you going to load it with USB?

Load it via USB but a full SSD install I think. I also noticed today that AES-NI will be available in the upcoming 2.4 release, although not mandatory until 2.5.
                                cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                                X