Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintenance

Hello Summerguy,

How are you using the Monitoring Plugin?

I have this crazy idea of say if the system has been running for x number of days, then perform an auto update then reboot system ====> My questions are :
    Would it be best practice for HomeSeer to warn you by Pushover, Email, Speech ====> this could be missed,............etc ? ====> This is to have better control of the system in question of the update!

But what if it was a remote system (region), would you trust things to take effect blindly with fingers crossed?

What's your take on this?

REF : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoWeeklyUpdateHowTo

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Hello Eman,

I just read your comment in the other thread, and now I'm afraid I did not catch your point with this post.

It was my first understanding that you were asking for a position regarding a "periodic system auto-update after x days". On my side, I prefer "manually" control when the system updates. Updates are sometimes buggy, so it's better to wait positive feedback before updating, especially for a system that controls your home). So I don't think I will ever let it updates automatically.

With your post in the other thread, I understood that you were asking for a way to do it. Am I correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shodan View Post
      Hello Eman,

I just read your comment in the other thread, and now I'm afraid I did not catch your point with this post.

It was my first understanding that you were asking for a position regarding a "periodic system auto-update after x days". On my side, I prefer "manually" control when the system updates. Updates are sometimes buggy, so it's better to wait positive feedback before updating, especially for a system that controls your home). So I don't think I will ever let it updates automatically.

With your post in the other thread, I understood that you were asking for a way to do it. Am I correct ?
      Yes correct,
      But now you have scared me of doing it automatically, it's not worth the effort.

Eman.

Comment

Well sorry for that, it was not my intention ...

Anyway, if you want to try (just for your experience and knowledge), why don't you just call this linux script from a HS3 event ("Run another program or process") :

#!/bin/bash
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get upgrade -y
        sudo reboot

Do not forget to give execution rights, let's say your script name is update.sh : chmod +x update.sh

Comment

Originally posted by Shodan View Post
          Well sorry for that, it was not my intention ...

Anyway, if you want to try (just for your experience and knowledge), why don't you just call this linux script from a HS3 event ("Run another program or process") :

#!/bin/bash
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get upgrade -y
          sudo reboot

Do not forget to give execution rights, let's say your script name is update.sh : chmod +x update.sh

Nice!
          I will do that on the other systems without MONO but leave the HomeSeer one alone.

And thanks again.

Eman

Comment

Surely a lot pf preparation need to be taken to have. Security feling .

As Shodan said, this seem a bery good lernong exercise, but i would try it on a VM or a cloned hdd for like 1 years before trying it on the target pc.

Comment

I will read the link you provided. That seems a nice thing to try

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
                I will read the link you provided. That seems a nice thing to try

When I posted it I did not read through it but after having had a look at it again looks interesting! Like Shodan posted how a script can be run from within HomeSeer, It's a matter of creating an event with the combination of the Jeedom Monitoring plugin and do away with the cron thing!

Worthy a try! I have few PIs doing different stuff and all need to be managed somehow and thus becoming a burden.

Eman.

Comment

Working...
                X