No devices show in node map, just the controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No devices show in node map, just the controller

When I run Z-Seer+, whether from the local PC or another on my network, the only node identified on the node map is Node 1, the Z-wave controller, which is a Z-Net.

The node map does not show any of my numerous other Z-wave devices.

Any idea why this might be?

When I run Z-Seer+ from a network PC, the log section occasionally reports 'Cannot access HomeSeer: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' (Despite the fact that it has successfully located the Z-wave controller).

When I run Z-Seer+ from the PC that is running HomeSeer, neither the Log section nor the Actions section of the Z-Seer window are visible below the Search section, and the lower part of the window is not resizeable to allow those sections to be seen!!

System info:

Current Date/Time: 20/05/2018 20:21:18
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 1 Day 21 Hours 39 Minutes 45 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.14
    Number of Devices: 654
    Number of Events: 312
    Available Threads: 200
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 1
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: BullGuard Antivirus Windows Defender

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.54.0: BLBackup
    2.0.61.0: BLDSC
    2.0.54.0: BLOnkyo
    2.0.6.0: BLPlugins
    2.0.139.0: BLRadar
    1.0.3.0: BLShutdown
    2.0.5.0: BLTouchString
    2.0.22.0: BLUPS
    1.2.3.0: Device History
    3.0.0.14: NetCAM
    3.0.0.21: Sonos
    3.0.6551.16959: UltraGCIR3
    3.0.1.212: Z-Wave
    Attached Files

Do you have a firewall rule on the HS3 machine to allow connection?
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi zwolfpack and many thanks for the prompt reply.

I hadn't done anything with the firewall, because the Z-Seer+ installation instructions didn't mention anything about that, as far as I can see.

I can understand that firewall may be an issue when connecting over the LAN, but, when running Z-Seer+ on the machine which HomeSeer runs on, though, I would have presumed that was not affected by firewall issues, but it still didn't work.

Sorry I'm not very used to setting up exceptions manually.

Unfortunately it's not entirely clear to me how I should set up the firewall exception to allow Z-Seer. Is there any step-by-step guide to how to set this up correctly?

I notice you've used port 10400 - is that pre-defined somewhere or set by the user? Do you know what address to supply in 'Connection' - is it 'localhost' or the LAN IP Address?

Comment

You may be right, this may only be needed when running from a remote machine; I never installed z-seer on the local machine.

Port number 10400 is defined by HomeSeer, it's the port that plugins use to communicate with the main application.

Not sure where you are looking to set 'connection'.

I'm running HS3 on Windows 7, but here are approximate instructions for Windows 10 that should get you in the ballpark. This assumes you are using Windows firewall.

From the Windows 10 Desktop, search for 'firewall'
        Select result 'Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security'
        On ensuing pane, open 'Inbound Rules'
        Select 'New Rule',
        Select 'Port', Next->
        Select 'TCP', 'Specific local ports', enter 10400, Next->
        Select 'Allow the connection', Next->
        Check 'Private', uncheck 'Domain', 'Public', Next->
        Enter a name, i.e. 'Z-Seer+', a description if desired, Finish

Comment

Many thanks zwolfpack, that's brilliant.

I'll try that tonight.

The 'connection' I was talking about was the Edit/Connection option available from the Menu bar within Z-Seer+.

Comment

For Connection: when connecting from a different machine, use the IP address of the HS3 machine. When connecting from the same machine, localhost or the IP address should both work.

I found that with my firewall rule disabled, Z-Seer hangs up at the splash screen; never gets to the main window. So the issue you are seeing may be different.

Comment

Hi zwolfpack.

I've opened port 13400 via the Windows Firewall like you suggested, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've tried connecting to localhost from the PC running HomeSeer (on which i would assume the firewall settings are irrelevant), and to 192.168.1.14 from a different PC on my LAN.

The log on the latter just shows:
              Initializing connection to HomeSeer...
              Cannot access HomeSeer: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
              Cannot access HomeSeer: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
              Getting neighbor info for controller

Comment

I presume you meant 10400 rather than 13400.

Something is blocking it for sure. When it works, the Z-Seer+ log looks like this:
                Code:
                Initializing connection to HomeSeer...
                Getting neighbor info for controller
                Contacted node 6
                Contacted node 7
                Contacted node 8
                The only thing that shows in the HS3 log is:
                Code:
                May-23 07:58:04 InfoZ-Wave polling has been disabled by Z-Seer+
                And when Z-Seer exits,
                Code:
                May-23 08:02:22InfoZ-Wave polling has been re-enabled by Z-Seer+
                You're not running any firewall/virus programs other than Windows Defender by chance?

Comment

Hi zwolfpack

Sorry for the typo. I did mean 10400 not 13400.

I'm running Bullguard Premium Protection on top of Windows Defender firewall, but as i understand it, all the real firewall work is done by Windows Defender, and they are supposed to work together fine.

I contacted HomeSeer Support, and I've now got Z-Seer+ to work on the PC that HomeSeer is on (connectino='localhost'). The problem was that the Z-Seer+ exe file needs to be located in the same folder as the HS3 exe file!!!

So the only remaining issue on that PC is that neither the Log section nor the Actions section of the Z-Seer window are visible below the Search section, and the lower part of the window is not resizeable to allow those sections to be seen.

As yet, they have provided no advice on the problem with running Z-Seer+ on a different PC on my network.

Comment

Working...
                  X