APC UPS on Synology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APC UPS on Synology?

Has anyone gotten this monitoring the APC on a Synology NAS? Synology is supposed to support NUT.
    My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

I don't have a Synology, but if you enable debugging on the plugin we might be able to get a bit mode insight. Does it connect and can you post the HS3 log from the plugin when it poll the UPS for updates? Note the HS3 plugin is windows only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I like to connect to the NUT server running on my Synology as well. I already run WinNUT on the HS3 machine to make sure it shuts down properly, and that works. However, I had to add a username and password to the configuration file like this: MONITOR ups@192.168.1.111 1 monuser secret slave

monuser/secret are the default userid/pwd on the Synology NAS. Without this, WinNUT doesn't work. So I think I need to supply this info to the plugin as well, however I don't see where I can enter this info...

Any suggestions?
      stefxx

Comment

Never mind, it works now. Not that I changed anything... still wondering why it works without credentials...
        stefxx

Comment

I am trying this plugin and so far love having all the information. I have two UPS's - 1) an APC model connected directly to my HS3 machine via USB cable, and 2) a CyberPower that is connected to my Synology DS1515+. HS3 is running on Lubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS.

Monitoring the CyberPower "through" the Synology (over my home network) turned out to be simpler than it seemed at first. I thought I would have to be running both apcupsd (for the APC UPS) and NUT (for Synology / CyberPower) on my HS3 server, but Lubuntu / Ubuntu would not allow me to install them both. I had installed apcupsd to get the APC communication with the plugin, and didn't feel like throwing away the work done to get that configured. So, I just left apcupsd running to see what would happen when I asked the plugin to find a NUT device.

On the Synology, go to Control Panel > Hardware & Power and check "Enable network UPS server". Then click on the "Permitted DiskStation Devices" and enter the IP address of your HS3 machine. I know a computer running HS3 is not a "DiskStation Device", but from what I have read Synology runs NUT, and filling in this information just allows a remote client to access the NUT daemon running on the Synology.

In the HS2 APCUPSD plugin > Configuration, create a new instance. For Host, fill in the IP address of your Synology; the Port value is 3493 (standard port for NUT). Select NUT as the Monitoring type. I didn't see a way of providing a name - it just defaults to "ups".

That's it - the plugin picked up the info and both UPS' appear to be monitored.

Regards,
          BBB

Comment

As I think about this more, I think I'm better with my original solution.

When my power goes out, I have a portable generator that I use to power (most of) the house. Many times, I don't realize when power is restored, because my main breaker is turned off while the generator is on. With the original solution, I'll be able to get a notice when power is restored so I can go out to the garage to turn off the generator and go back to utility power.

Comment

Working...
            X