This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your choice for release schedule

I have been working on the plugin quite a bit since HomeSeer 2 private beta came out. I have code for some additional features near completion. I would like to know what your preference for releases of the plugin would be. I understand that you can *chose* to update from the updater but some people don't seem to see it that way.

Jon
    Often - whenever a feature or bug fix is complete and tested
    90.91%
    Sometimes - whenever a larger set of features or bug fixes is complete and tested
    9.09%
    Rarely - only when a large number of new things or bug fixes have been added
    0.00%
    Never - leave me alone!
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

I'd vote for ... today Seriously, I'd be glad to Beta anything you have...

Comment

Originally posted by firtha
      I'd vote for ... today Seriously, I'd be glad to Beta anything you have...
      FYI:

A while back I went through a furious release cycle just assuming that everyone would want stuff as soon as it was done. There were a few people that voiced some criticism to that approach. I just want to know what the attitude of the folks are today.

Jon
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I voted for often. The faster I can get the updates, the better. I check for updates once a week.

Also, how do I pay for the new HS20 plugin for the W800RF and where do I go to activate it? The trial version is down to 15 days.

This thread answers the question -> http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=106008
        Thanks,
        Chris

Comment

I vote for often as well. That allows those that want to upgrade often to do so and those that don't want to upgrade can just wait and not upgrade every time.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone
          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I agree with often.

Comment

Let me just say ThankYou!

For the consideration and the best plugin around. I would follow whatever you come up with. Your one of the most forthright and out in the open developer's I have ever come across. Please Keep up the Great Work.

22v10

Comment

I voted for "Often, " however ,you can take a Jim Doolittle approach, and put the "larger set of features..." updates in the updater, and interim fixes/features as attachments on the message board, or linked to another site.

I agree, though, updating is entirely up to the end user, so if you post an update every week, then users can choose how ovten they update... For me, I usually only update if a bug I'm experiencing is fixed, or a new desireable feature is added, so I may only hit one out of ten "often" updates, but I'd like to have the choice.
                John
                Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

I vote for often, but I would personally only plan to update often if I was experiencing a problem that the update addressed, or there was new functionality that I wanted to test. Otherwise I would do it once a week or so.

Recognizing that putting out a release requires some effort, I would choose your own definition of "Often".

Comment

First, love the W800 and the plugin. Together they have made HS a reliable automation system. I echo 22v10's thanks!

And my $29 (or whatever) is yours whenever HS gets around to putting it up for sale.

As to releases:
                    I vote "often" but with one caveat. !! Not until after the documentation is updated !!

I've noticed documentation lag is rampant in this hobby/obsession. If it hasn't been documented, it's not ready for release - no matter how much people are begging for it. (Whew, that sounds a little pedantic. Ok, I'll behave.)

Also, especially if you do decide to release often, I would really appreciate if you would maintain a sticky with only version history (and maybe a link to the up-to-date manual ) at the top of this forum. That way, if I'm having a problem, I can see if it's been addressed before I update or post in the forum. It gets difficult to help troubleshoot someone's problem if you don't know whether or not a fix was made between version 2.0.12152 and 2.0.12157.

Thanks again for your great plugin.

Comment

Often is my vote as well. I would be happy to test the plugin for you.
                      Cheers,
                      Bob
                      Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Ditto

22V10, could not have said it better!
                        Thanks Jon
                        Voted for often.
                        Mike

Comment

Ditto..

Comment