PC choice to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC choice to use

ok basement almost redone and I will be getting back to getting HS fully back up and running. need some thoughts and guidance...

Ok so I have been here for some time and if you recall I have gone through many machines finding the right setup for a SINGLE machine. Never cared of going green with an atom pc... just like a car.. if I want power I wont try and take a prius to the track (i just bought a prius and nope.. dont belong on a track).....

so anyway I was running XP then Server 2003 then WHS1.... various machines... etc...

my current setup is in my sig...
    Dell Optiplex Tower - Xeon - 8gb ram
    running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials (WHS 2012 basically)
    I also purchased stablebit drivepool. very nice app... and only $20...
    Boss is letting me use the msdn OS

so software im good.. HW im ok....but i have options...

so my long term goals

file server - host movies, music and data files

itunes for wife and kids to sync their iPxd devices (im an android guy)

redundancy - stablebit drivepool - so this should be considered complete

cameras - if you remember cctv cards only supported 32bit os and with ip cameras getting cheaper it maybe the way to go but I do still have 4 cctv cameras. Ebay now has 64bit OS cctv cards!!!!!!

Guidance needed here...
    1. what software to run on WHS2012 and allow client machines to interface for movies? mymovies seems like a good option but curious what is out there now....

2. server hardware - my biggest delema...
    • dell optiplex - leave how i have it
    • dell precision t3500 / xeon / 24gb ram / plenty of sata ports
    • dell optiplex 755 small form / 8gb ram / xeon / only 1 bay

i usually use my dell precision t3500 for running vmware hypervisor and running my virtual environment. WHS2012 does do virtualization with Hyper-v so maybe i can still have that all in 1...

so whatta ya think?
    my goal is to get situated this weekend and get my drop ceiling back together. Once it is done I can tackle the thoughts on what to run. I have a machine in place now so if i use my t3500 i can start slow and migrate my data over and go.

stuff to setup
    concord 4 alarm - already running on current setup and runs like a dream
    19 - ms13a motions
    15 - 23890w 2 way x10 light switches and companions for 3 way config
    2 - ha20c zwave switches
    10 - zwave outlets
    10 - x10 outlets
    5 - ds10a door sensors

so not a biggie but all that was setup in HS2.x when it was rock solid and man oh man did HS look sweet and perform superb. I was Mr OOBER GEEK!!!! and didnt have hstouch!

also checkout the mymovies page...
    http://www.mymovies.dk/products/home...ls-server.aspx
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Because I am cheap and want to keep my 24/7 energy footprint as small as possible, I run one machine. It is a Supermicro 1U server, a single Xeon E3-1270 processor and 32gb of ram. It is running WSE 2012 to support home wide backups, My Movies Database, music rips, a bunch of shared folders and a Hypervisor with two VMs. One VM for HomeSeer and another for my video surveillance. This server runs just shy of 50-watts full time. All of my DVD rips, Blu-ray ISOs and other video are on NAS devices that support WOL - as does My Movies. My Movies is great, been using it for years since WHS1.

You could consolidate your WSE, hypervisor and VMs for HomeSeer. Switching to a very fast SSD for the system disc and the VMs gives HomeSeer 95% of the speed of running on a physical machine. The only requisite is that all external interfaces must be IP as Hyper-v doesn't do USB natively. You can map serial, but it is less than perfect.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Im going to repurpose but not much of a difference on each machine. Dell t3500 is maxed with 24gb ram and my current machine cant go more than 8gb. I dont care about power. A computer uses power but not a huge amount..

I have been putting in led light bulbs and nowpark my 2013 gmc sierra rollin on 35s. Cost me 650 a month in gas. I bought a ...cough cough.. prius... now car payment.. gas.. and truck payment and i put 250 bucks in my pocket....

I am still undecided. May leave my current hw in and keep my virtual env seperate. It isnt powered on all the time....

More to come...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
      X