System transfer from Zee S2 to SEL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news Andrew!

I see that you were most concerned about the Z-Wave stuff / back up.

Here base lighting network is UPB (two HS3 boxes and OP2). Z-Wave connectivity is via the GPIO z-wave card on an RPi2 and the Leviton VRCOP (connected to the Omni Pro2). X-10 on two HS3 boxes and OP2. (also utilize Zigbee).

Main heartbeat of home automated events are on the OmniPro2. Granular stuff is on the two HS3 boxes. IE: if HS3 stops; lighting schedules and scenes continue to work.

Here primarily just back up the HS3 directories as I upgrade stuff; well and only issue to date has been the upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04 with the default of Mono going from 3.X to 4.X. (zee went from original zee to updated zee-2 and now moved over to using Ubuntu 16.04 server for the original Zee-2 HS3 software - maybe a bit overkill).
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Good news Andrew!

I see that you were most concerned about the Z-Wave stuff / back up.
      You are darn right I was!

BTW, HS just contacted me with advice that Grub needed to be updated in order to resolve the boot without HDMI problem. It was as simple as this.

1) Navigate to Tools > System > Linux Tools
      2) Login with the system password that you created when you first set up the device
      3) Download the update script using the following command, without quotes "sudo wget www.homeseer.com/linux/grubupdate.sh"
      4) Run the script "sudo sh grubupdate.sh"
      5) Restart the HT-SEL via Tools > System > Reboot System

And for others who are forced to do a System Restore, one more thing needs doing and that is to fix the Gmail certificate error problem, that is if you use Gmail. That info at least is at this sticky post ... http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180025

Comment

@Andrew...thank you for the posts relating to Grub.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

this is a bit unrelated but may help someone.
          A friend was having problems running remote desktop software like teamviewer on some headless minipcs that wanted/needed an HDMI connection, obviously typically there is no monitor on headless applications and he recommended this little product:
          https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-.../dp/B00FLZXGJ6

Comment

Originally posted by abwyatt View Post
            SUCCESS!!!!

All my nodes, events, devices, timers, counters and settings are in. No need to redo any of my events and no red text in the logs. Events all seem to be firing as normal. ... Phew!!!

The process was essentially the two steps that John (jhearty) had originally outlined at Post #6, but I'll fill in the gaps, expand and clarify the sequence for newbies. John's advice lacked sequencing info, and I took the wrong sequence which resulted in unnecessary work to manually transfer the network interface backup file (Post #12 above).

So, it goes like this.

1. Backup the Zee S2 Z-Wave Network Interface in the Z-Wave Controller Management. That will save a backup file containing your nodes. The file will reside in the Zee S2 file system - you cannot save it anywhere else. Rename the file before saving so you recognise it when you want to restore it.

2. Backup your Zee S2 configuration file in Tools>Setup. You'll save that to your desktop. It's a zip file and it contains all the devices, events, global variables, timers, counters and all the Setup settings. If you have a look inside the zip file you will also see that it contains the Network Interface backup file from Step 1.

3. Now we start working on the SEL. Start by going to Tools>Setup and restore the Zee S2 backup configuration file from Step 2. This will transfer everything in the Zip file including the network interface backup from Step 1. The SEL will reboot at the end of this process and you will be asked to enter your SEL licence ID and password since the SEL will reject the Zee S2 licence that is in the configuration file.

4. Now go to the Z-Wave Controller Manager and select the action 'Restore a Network to this Interface'. Now you get a drop down box to select the backup file and the list will include the Zee S2 interface backup file from Step 1. Select that and go through the process. After that, you may need to restart the interface or turn the plugin off then on.

5. Final step. Go to Z-Wave Controller Manager and do Optimise Network and Fully Optimise. Finally, for all your battery powered devices, you'll need to go around and wake them up one by one and do optimise and fully optimise from the respective root device.

That is it! You should have everything now and be operational. For those with X-10 devices, they also get transferred in the above process and all you have to do now is install the X-10 plugin to get your X10 devices working.

Caveats. I am not sure how reliable this process is because the first time I tried to do Step 3, I could not get back into the SEL after the reboot as reported at Post #12. Until now, I do not know what happened. I have a feeling something got corrupted. That necessitated me having to do a System Restore from the Ubuntu boot screen when I could not resolve the issue with Option 1 and 2 in the find.homeseer.com maintenance interface which is supposed to reset the settings (Option 1) or reinstall HS3 (Option 2). It just refused to boot.

After the System Restore, I had no problems with the above process, except for the too many registration lock out problem which I also reported. This second time, before Step 2, I removed the static IP and port forward that I had just to make sure I was not getting a problem with the router DHCP server. The registration problem was also a little mysterious because 2 days later I got a response from HS support to say that there did not appear to be a problem with the licence. That was last night, so I booted up the SEL and had no problems entering the licence.

One final word of caution, also reported earlier but unrelated to the transfer process itself. If you ever have to use the SEL System Restore, this results in the SEL not being able to boot up without a HDMI monitor plugged in. I know one other forum user, whom I have been having PMs with, also had the same experience. We have not yet had a response from HS on this issue, but I'll open another thread to see if a forum Linux guru can help.

Andrew

Just ordered a Hometroller SEL myself - and this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Looking forward to moving beyond the 5 plug-in limitation and trying more of these out.

Comment

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
              Just ordered a Hometroller SEL myself - and this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Looking forward to moving beyond the 5 plug-in limitation and trying more of these out.
              You'll enjoy the plugins galore, like I am
              Good luck with the transfer!

Comment

Good Helpful Post for Upgrading

Thank You for this post, I too, have just run into the Plug-In limitation with the HomeTroller Zee S2 and have upgraded to the SEL version to be able to use more Plug-Ins.

Kind Regards,
                BSoul

Originally posted by abwyatt View Post
                SUCCESS!!!!

All my nodes, events, devices, timers, counters and settings are in. No need to redo any of my events and no red text in the logs. Events all seem to be firing as normal. ... Phew!!!

The process was essentially the two steps that John (jhearty) had originally outlined at Post #6, but I'll fill in the gaps, expand and clarify the sequence for newbies. John's advice lacked sequencing info, and I took the wrong sequence which resulted in unnecessary work to manually transfer the network interface backup file (Post #12 above).

So, it goes like this.

1. Backup the Zee S2 Z-Wave Network Interface in the Z-Wave Controller Management. That will save a backup file containing your nodes. The file will reside in the Zee S2 file system - you cannot save it anywhere else. Rename the file before saving so you recognise it when you want to restore it.

2. Backup your Zee S2 configuration file in Tools>Setup. You'll save that to your desktop. It's a zip file and it contains all the devices, events, global variables, timers, counters and all the Setup settings. If you have a look inside the zip file you will also see that it contains the Network Interface backup file from Step 1.

3. Now we start working on the SEL. Start by going to Tools>Setup and restore the Zee S2 backup configuration file from Step 2. This will transfer everything in the Zip file including the network interface backup from Step 1. The SEL will reboot at the end of this process and you will be asked to enter your SEL licence ID and password since the SEL will reject the Zee S2 licence that is in the configuration file.

4. Now go to the Z-Wave Controller Manager and select the action 'Restore a Network to this Interface'. Now you get a drop down box to select the backup file and the list will include the Zee S2 interface backup file from Step 1. Select that and go through the process. After that, you may need to restart the interface or turn the plugin off then on.

5. Final step. Go to Z-Wave Controller Manager and do Optimise Network and Fully Optimise. Finally, for all your battery powered devices, you'll need to go around and wake them up one by one and do optimise and fully optimise from the respective root device.

That is it! You should have everything now and be operational. For those with X-10 devices, they also get transferred in the above process and all you have to do now is install the X-10 plugin to get your X10 devices working.

Caveats. I am not sure how reliable this process is because the first time I tried to do Step 3, I could not get back into the SEL after the reboot as reported at Post #12. Until now, I do not know what happened. I have a feeling something got corrupted. That necessitated me having to do a System Restore from the Ubuntu boot screen when I could not resolve the issue with Option 1 and 2 in the find.homeseer.com maintenance interface which is supposed to reset the settings (Option 1) or reinstall HS3 (Option 2). It just refused to boot.

After the System Restore, I had no problems with the above process, except for the too many registration lock out problem which I also reported. This second time, before Step 2, I removed the static IP and port forward that I had just to make sure I was not getting a problem with the router DHCP server. The registration problem was also a little mysterious because 2 days later I got a response from HS support to say that there did not appear to be a problem with the licence. That was last night, so I booted up the SEL and had no problems entering the licence.

One final word of caution, also reported earlier but unrelated to the transfer process itself. If you ever have to use the SEL System Restore, this results in the SEL not being able to boot up without a HDMI monitor plugged in. I know one other forum user, whom I have been having PMs with, also had the same experience. We have not yet had a response from HS on this issue, but I'll open another thread to see if a forum Linux guru can help.

Andrew

Comment

Transfer from zee to sel

When you did transfer. What do you remove from set up in zee before copying.

Any other tips would be helpful.

I too can't log into my sel after moving back-up to the sel.

Comment

Originally posted by metzgermark View Post
                    When you did transfer. What do you remove from set up in zee before copying.

Any other tips would be helpful.

I too can't log into my sel after moving back-up to the sel.
                    What I was referring to, if I read your query correctly, was to remove any port forwards that you may have setup in the Zee S2 before making the Zee S2 backup and then installing in the SEL. That refers to both the Zee S2 settings and the router settings. This all assumes that you were using a port forward for remote access on the Zee S2. I don't trust MyHS to be reliable enough for my remote access.

If you weren't using a port forward, then try to search and access by using http://find.homeseer.com/findhomeseer/

If the given system link does not get you in, then try the maintenance link. Once you get in, try Option 1 first, and then Option 2. Both Options will retain your events and devices. Option 2 will just mean that you have to reenter the Setup settings, but that is not such a big deal.

Let us know if this helps.

Comment

I am trying to upgrade from my ZeeS2 to my new SEL.
                      I have created all the backups and have the new SEL up and running (completed Steps 1-3).
                      I am confused when I get to step 4. When i enable the new smart stick+ and try to restore the backup, I don't have a file in the drop down to pick from. Here is a screen shot of what I see right now.
                      Why do I have 2 networks showing up and how to get get to the MRDHome network to restore it?
                      In step 3 do I have to restore all 4 zip files that were generated on the ZeeS2? I choose only the config.zip to restore.
                      I'm sure I missing a simple step here but am not sure what that step is that I am missing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 3.44.47 PM.png
Views:	344
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	1315681

Attached Files

Comment

The SmartStick initially has a new HomeID, DC424CB7. Once you successfully restore your previous network to it, it will have your previous HomeID and the extra network will disappear.

When you did the Z-Wave network backup on the ZeeS2, it should have created the backup file in /usr/HomeSeer/Data/Z-Wave/<name>.ZWave. Then this gets packaged up and written to the same place on the SEL during the Backup Config / Restore Config process. Look in /usr/local/HomeSeer/Data/Z-Wave and see if there are any *.ZWave files. If so, perhaps a stop/restart of the Z-Wave plugin will allow them to show up in the file chooser.

Comment

There are not any *.ZWave files in that folder on the SEL.
                          There is a "backup" folder with multiple .db flies in it.
                          There is a .bin file and a Z-wave2.db file in the folder.

I was able to locate the backup files in the zip files from the ZeeS2. It was in the Data zip file from the backup (data -> z-wave folder).

Comment

Those files "should" have been copied as part of the restore process... but apparently didn't for some reason. You'll have to move them over manually. WinSCP or a USB stick.

Comment

Is there other stuff that didn't move over correctly I should check for or do you think that will do it?
                              I also though maybe I should do a factory reset and start the process over again.
                              In the transition should I install the smart stick+ before I do the restore from the setup menu?

Comment

Hard to say... the restore I did was from Windows to HS3-Std running on a Raspberry Pi. Those *.ZWave files came over just fine. The only thing I remember that didn't make it over was a sub-directory of the scripts directory.

I think you should be fine if you can get the newest *.ZWave from the backup config zip over to the SEL. Then try the Z-Wave restore and see how far that gets you.

Comment

Working...
                                X