PCI voice modem vs Way2Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCI voice modem vs Way2Call

I'm not happy with the reliability of the Way2Call implementation in HS.

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the PCI voice modem compared to the Way2Call?

The Way2Call is a good modem and required if you are not running XP. The PCI modem is not supported on any OS newer than XP.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'll try and stick it out with the Way2Call a little longer. I've had one for many years but have never had the time to invest in trying to integrate it into my HomeSeer/Stargate system. I've got the time now and have been spending many hours trying to get it to do what I want. I've had to do a lot of digging and experimenting as the available documentation and the posts on the board are not very comprehensive.

I think I have got it working now for CID reporting and DTMF triggering. That's the only functions I need.

It seems to be very sensitive to some cordless phones. I have 3 cordless phone bases in the house and I believe that one of them might be causing the intermittent off hook problems. I am working through the elimination process to pin point which one or what is causing the problem.

I have been using Stargate for CID and DTMF control now for about 14 years and it has always worked flawlessly. Very solid and reliable. The problem is that more and more Stargate users are reporting that their IVR (phone board) is failing. They are not repairable so, I that's why I've been working toward getting the Way2Call going.

Comment

Per the phones. Rather than multiple cordless phones, it might be worth looking into one with a single base station and multiple handsets.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Due to WAF I had to look for a full sized wireless multiline wireless phone. So today I am on my third gen Panasonic. I had the same issue with getting a cell phone as she wanted something larger than a miniature cell phone. Not easy to find these days.

Initially for a time I did utilize the HS PCI modem; maybe 8 months or so. It was more of using external versus an internal PCI card that I went to the W2C box. I liked having everything hanging off of one USB port. The reponse times were similiar though between the two. I was also paranoid about a lightning strike; even with protection on the phone circuits; maybe lessening the changes of damaging the HS HW by going external?

The legacy NETCID though gets the CID the fastest for me; so I use that mostly just related to CID. I don't really using HSPhone; but have tested the control with the older style Panasonic phones to work pretty well. I have though the HAI panel and HSPhone "hearing" the tones; so its kind of mix of stuff there.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I think (I hope) the problem I've been having is with one of my 3 cordless phone bases. Time will tell. It's a big house with a lot of phones.

There are some things that I would like to be able to do as far as capturing telemarketing calls that I can't do with HSPhone. I'm evaluating other alternatives.

Comment

Lately here its been less telemarketers for just plain old junk and more political and charity type calls. The "unknown" or "private" calls go to the same bucket though.

I did talk to the bird's veterinarian about the "private" call stuff and her office does now call with her CID on.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by noopara View Post
                There are some things that I would like to be able to do as far as capturing telemarketing calls that I can't do with HSPhone. I'm evaluating other alternatives.
                Telemarketers get one chance here thanks to the Way2Call.
                Once I have the number, I add it to the address book with No Ring and "Hangup on this Caller" set.

You can also add a wild card to the Address book:
                This was a feature Rich added at my request several years ago. HS does a two pass search for match, looking for wildcards first.
                800* or 866*, etc. in the number field. Then send them right to voice mail with no ring. Once you confirm it's a telemarketer, add an entry for that number and they never bother you again.
                Sometimes, I let them have 7 rings (silent), then they get the FAX machine.
                I'm down to about one new call every couple of weeks. At one time it was every day.
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Some good ideas.

It's the calls about selling our timeshare that's driving us nuts.

I want to use HS to target those calls and answer them and read them a message and then hang up but I don't want any other calls answered. I haven't figured out how to make HSPhone do this selective answering. I'm going to look at snevlCID and see if it will do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X