This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRTrans Infrared Plug-In Description

The IRTrans Infrared Plug-In is designed to provide native HomeSeer support for the IRTrans series of infrared devices.

You can find out more about this innovative product at the IRTrans web site.

This .net plug-in uses all managed code and is specifically targeted at HomeSeer v 2.2 or later.
    It is available for free download via the HomeSeer Updater.

Some Key Features:
    • Provides native HomeSeer support for the IRTrans devices
    • Supports IRTrans serial/USB, ethernet, LAN controller, and bus units
    • Supports multiple IRTrans units on multiple buses and zoned IR transmission
    • Supports individual emitter selection on devices that support multiple emitters such as the LAN controller
    • Monitors the IRTrans Server connection and automatically re-connects
    • Allows learning from any IRTrans device on any bus via web browser
    • Confirms learn success/failure
    • Supports detailed logging for debugging when necessary
    Feel free to take a look at the IRTrans Infrared Plug-In Guide as well.

Note: The current version is 1.2.15.0 released on 04-Jan-2009 which added support for individual emitter selection on devices that support multiple emitters. Also raised the maximum number of learned codes to 1,000. Also note that the "HomeSeer Zone to IRTrans Bus/Unit" mapping table has been changed. See the updated guide for details.
    Last edited by YoYo; January 5, 2009, 11:39 PM. Reason: version update

Very interesting, and perfectly timed! I have just fitted a new HVAC system and it is controlled via infrared - was looking for an inexpensive means of controlling it via Homeseer - Ocelot is far too expensive for what I need.

Would you mind answering a few questions please?

Hardware wise - is the "IRTrans Ethernet" module stand-alone? Can I just plug it into my LAN and start using it with your Plugin or do I need to purchase something else?

Will I be able to "learn" my remote codes via your plugin and then transmit them from HS events?

What sort of range does the unit have?

I have tried to download that pdf you mentioned but am not having much success - 20 minutes has netted me 45k so far!

Thanks

Comment

Thank you. I am interested in distributed IR controlled by/with HS. I looked at the web site and I didn't really get a good understanding of the topography. If I were to use a LAN-based approach (that cable already exists), can I use my home network (CAT5e, 100mb switched), or does this need it's own independent network?

If I went with a configuration with wiring independent from my home network wiring, what does that look like (wiring requirements, different devices, etc.).

I appreciate your help.

Joe

Comment

Hi Steve,

Originally posted by steve-l
        Ocelot is far too expensive for what I need.
        I'm not sure by the time you look at the whole picture that you'll find the IRTrans a cheaper alternative to the Ocelot, especially if you just consider the IR portion, just a lot better! The Ocelot's IR was the 2nd or 3rd IR system I tried and it just couldn't reliably learn and match codes for all of the devices I had. I tried everything from converting CCF codes, etc. Not until an engineering buddy of mine connected a DSO up did we figure out what the problems were... none of them solvable. So, I abandoned my Ocelot / Xantach setup and moved to the IRTrans. Things have been very good ever since.

Hardware wise - is the "IRTrans Ethernet" module stand-alone? Can I just plug it into my LAN and start using it with your Plugin or do I need to purchase something else?
        You are correct. Nothing else is needed. There are several flavors of the IRTrans devices; serial, USB, and ethernet. The plug-in works with all of them.

Will I be able to "learn" my remote codes via your plugin and then transmit them from HS events?
        Yes! The plug-in functions as a native IR interface to HomeSeer. That means that it uses the existing IR functionality that is already built-in to allow you to learn, transmit, receive, and build IR events. In fact because the user interface is web based, you can learn IR while sitting next to any IRTrans device using your notebook PC and a web browser, no need to be at the physical PC where HomeSeer runs.

What sort of range does the unit have?
        Very good. I no longer have to use any stick-on emitters placed on IR window of the devices being controlled. I just place the IRTrans unit next to the gear I want to control so that it will "see" the IR signals sent by any remotes. The IR blasters in the unit will pretty much flood the room with any IR signals you send from HomeSeer, or perhaps from another IRTrans device in another room. (I should also note that multiple units on the same bus have routing capability that works independant of HomeSeer.)
        If you need even more IR range, you can get a unit with the "Power-LED" option which provides extra high power IR LEDs for an additional $13.

I have tried to download that pdf you mentioned but am not having much success - 20 minutes has netted me 45k so far!
        Hmmm, I can e-mail it to you if that would work better. I'd attach it right to this message, but the board doesn't allow attachments any bigger than about 500K, and the manual is around 580K or so...
        Last edited by YoYo; August 20, 2006, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Originally posted by joeslat
          I am interested in distributed IR controlled by/with HS. I looked at the web site and I didn't really get a good understanding of the topography. If I were to use a LAN-based approach (that cable already exists), can I use my home network (CAT5e, 100mb switched), or does this need it's own independent network?
          I think you could take 2 approaches:

1. Buy a RS-232 ($109 ea) module and than as many Bus modules ($93 ea) as you need for the other rooms. You would use your existing Cat-5 wiring to make it work and it would be completely separate from your existing network.

2. Buy as many Ethernet modules as you need ($152 ea), place them where you need them, and connect them into your existing home network. Each unit will need an IP address.

If I went with a configuration with wiring independent from my home network wiring, what does that look like (wiring requirements, different devices, etc.).
          You would need 5 of the 8 Cat-5 wires to carry the serial interface to the first unit.

The bus units need 2 or 3 wires; 3 if you wish to power the bus unit without an external power supply. There is no required topology for the bus units, you can use a star, or a standard bus scheme where each unit just connects in.

You can get pin-outs and a detailed description by looking at the User's Manuals posted here.
          Last edited by YoYo; November 28, 2006, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YoYo
            I'm not sure by the time you look at the whole picture that you'll find the IRTrans a cheaper alternative to the Ocelot, especially if you just consider the IR portion, just a lot better! The Ocelot's IR was the 2nd or 3rd IR system I tried and it just couldn't reliably learn and match codes for all of the devices I had. I tried everything from converting CCF codes, etc. Not until an engineering buddy of mine connected a DSO up did we figure out what the problems were... none of them solvable. So, I abandoned my Ocelot / Xantach setup and moved to the IRTrans. Things have been very good ever since.
            Hmmm, I can e-mail it to you if that would work better. I'd attach it right to this message, but the board doesn't allow attachments any bigger than about 500K, and the manual is around 580K or so...
            Must have been a temporary problem as I've just downloaded it without a problem. Thanks for the offer though! I will have a good read of it now...

Comment

Irtrans 2.0 plugin

YoYo,

I would be interested in the 2.0 version as I don't dare to take the 2.1 plunge yet.

I am using an ethernet module and it's working beautifully. I am using the 1.7 version however in 2.0.2066 but had some inital issue that I managed to sort out with Marcus from IR trans. Unfortunately that meant manually editing the .ini file from HS2 to match up with the IR trans IR code files.

If your 2.0 plugin sorts that one, I am flying !

E-mail at evja78DOThotmail.com

Evja

Comment

Originally posted by evja78
                Unfortunately that meant manually editing the .ini file from HS2 to match up with the IR trans IR code files.
                Hi evja,

Yeah, that's what I ran into as well, plus a few other things, nothing show-stopping, but clearly a big problem for new users.

The new plug-in also fits the HS 2 paradigm of being completely web based, (like it or not...), and uses the HS2 IR functionality for learning, etc.

OK, back to business. I won't be able to e-mail it to you until later this evening. Also, it needs version 2.0.2066 or later of 2.0 because the IR stuff wasn't really done until that release, and I'm not sure that release was ever made public. Although you probably can cut and paste your existing IR codes out of the existing .rem file into the one this plug-in uses, it may be easier to re-learn them depending on how many you have. If you do cut and paste, don't forget to also grab the corresponding timing entries as well.

Also, the 2.0 version of the plug-in uses aspx for the configuration page so it looks a bit different than the one in docs posted above, but functionality is the same. I dropped aspx and just built the page in the plug-in for the 2.1 version because it was a lot of overhead just for a config page, and was messier to distribute.

Side note: I've been using 2.1, build 43 I believe, and it's been working just fine for me here, but I have a limited number of plug-ins involved; ACRF, ADIOcelot, HAI RC Thermostat, IM Connector, and of course the IRTrans. I also have a number of scripts as well. Maybe you should just backup and give it a try! You can always roll back.

Comment

IR trans

Thanks YoYo,

Sounds good to me. IR trans is my most vital plugin, so if that one works in 2.1 (your version) I may take the plunge into HS 2.1 after all.

let me know please when you can share the plugin with me. Much appreciated.

Evja

Comment

Hi Evja,

Not sure what you're asking... If you want the plug-in for 2.1 it's already available via the Updater. Just install it as you would any other plug-in.

If you want the plug-in for 2.0 (1.1 .net framework), you need to be running build 2066 or later and I'll have to e-mail it to you.

Does that answer your question/request?

Comment

IR Trans capability

Originally posted by YoYo
                      The IRTrans Infrared Plug-In is designed to provide native HomeSeer support for the IRTrans series of Infrared devices.

You can find out more about this innovative product at the IRTrans web site.

This .net plug-in uses all managed code and is specifically targeted at HomeSeer v 2.1 or later. It is available for free download via the Updater.

Some Key Features:

• Provides native HomeSeer support for the IRTrans devices
                      • Supports multiple IRTrans units on a single bus and zoned IR transmission
                      • Monitors the IRTrans Server connection and automatically re-connects
                      • Allows learning from any IRTrans device on the bus via web browser
                      • Confirms learn success/failure
                      • Supports detailed logging for debugging when necessary
                      Feel free to take a look at the IRTrans Infrared Plug-In Guide as well.

I should also note that I do have a version suitable for HS 2.0.2066 or later (although it is not in the Updater), and the product actually ships with a plug-in for HS 1.7.
                      Quick question about this product: I have a number of devices that need to be controlled by IR, and they are all stacked vertically in a rack. Is the output fomr IRTrans strong enough that I could put it at the top of the rack and it would still manage to control all the devices, or is it like most IR devices in that it needs more or less line of sight paths to the IR receivers on each device it will control?

Comment

Originally posted by jerny
                        Quick question about this product: I have a number of devices that need to be controlled by IR, and they are all stacked vertically in a rack. Is the output fomr IRTrans strong enough that I could put it at the top of the rack and it would still manage to control all the devices, or is it like most IR devices in that it needs more or less line of sight paths to the IR receivers on each device it will control?
                        So far, I have yet to see a situation where it cannot be placed pretty much anywhere in the room and not work. Keep in mind, that all my units were ordered with the higher power IR array on them though. Marcus tells me this is now standard on the ethernet modules, (and may be on the others as well...).

I ditched all of the stick-on emitters I used to have to use since switching to this product.

Comment

Compatiility with Other Wired IR distribution

I already have a wired IR distribution system in house.

I have tried USB-UIRT product to interface whole-house IR with Homeseer, but I have not been able to get USB-UIRT to learn most of my codes. In 70% of the time, it stops learning before the code is entered.

I'm considereing IRtrans. My homeseer PC is close to my wired IR hub. I know I can use an IR blaster from the IR hub to send IR signials (and learn?) to the IRtrans. How do I get IR transmissions from IRtrans to my IR hub? Can I attach a wired IR blaster? Can I direct-wire from IRtrans to my IR hub?

Ed
                          tenholde

Comment

Hi Ed,

If the hub you're using is Xantech or Xantech compatible, then you'll need a simple circuit to adapt the output of the IRTrans over to something that is safe for the Xantech stuff. I'd post it right now, but I'm on the road and do not have access to the diagram right now. You may want to visit the IRTrans web site and e-mail them with the specifics of your situation for the most accurate information on this.

As far as recieving IR goes, I am not aware of a direct-wire solution, but the IRTrans seems to be very, very sensitive so I never actually direct-wired them together for IR reception.

Having said all of the above, I had a pretty complete Xantech distribution system in my house before the IRTrans, and I did use them together for a time. Eventually, I purchased an additional IRTrans bus module for each room I wanted bi-directional IR in, and no longer use any of the Xantech stuff which simplified things a great deal; No hubs, emitters, receivers, etc.

Comment

.net plug-in uses all managed code and is specifically targeted at HomeSeer v 2.1 or later. It is available for free download via the Updater.

I have been using Irtrans with v1.x for some years very sucesfully ut after purchasing v2 (2.0.2041) i cant get it to work correctly. has there never been a updated plugin for the current version 2.0 . I dont really want to run a beta version in my live system but if that is the only way then i would however i can't see how to get the beta versions from the web site. Can you help please.

Nick.

Comment

Working...
                              X