Samsung TV Remote Control Plug-IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Function is now available under HS3

An HS3 version that includes the Samsung Remote function was released here (http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...90&postcount=1) today.

Dirk

Comment

Just entered the 21st century with a Samsung H6400 smart TV. (NICE!)

On a search, found this plugin and downloaded. I have yet to install it (HS2) as I don't like to needlessly shut down HS (going for a record uptime.. 54+ days).

- Is this P/I going to work for me using BlueTooth or does it operate over LAN?
      If BT, I'm going to need to install a Bluetooth on my HS machine, which is another headache.
      I've checked and the TV is discoverable from another PC which has BT already.
      I'm mainly interested in using this PI to turn off the TV via HS when there's been no motion in the room for a period of time. I may add other functions later on. This leads me to my final question... Is this the P/I to use or is there a more suitable solution?
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
        - Is this P/I going to work for me using BlueTooth or does it operate over LAN?
        Ethernet LAN

I'm mainly interested in using this PI to turn off the TV via HS when there's been no motion in the room for a period of time.
        Samsung changes YoY what they support and on which model, you'll have to try it to know it. Power off most likely will work, power on is another matter. Older Samsungs (C-series) would not support Power-on at all, then they started supporting it via BT only (I think as of D-series), not sure whether the latest models keep their Ethernet port on while in stand-by, the latter becoming more of the standard as it allows 3rd party apps to launch from your phone and "swing over" to your TV.

Is this the P/I to use or is there a more suitable solution?
        Let others comment

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
          Ethernet LAN

Samsung changes YoY what they support and on which model, you'll have to try it to know it. Power off most likely will work, power on is another matter. Older Samsungs (C-series) would not support Power-on at all, then they started supporting it via BT only (I think as of D-series), not sure whether the latest models keep their Ethernet port on while in stand-by, the latter becoming more of the standard as it allows 3rd party apps to launch from your phone and "swing over" to your TV.

Let others comment
          LAN is good. BT under XP has always been a PITA for me. I've spent all day getting a dongle to work on another XP computer.
          It's a 2014 model TV (Model UN50H6400AFXZC) and should be the latest. The remote control is BT as is the optional keyboard (which I'm going out now to buy... need more toys, camera later, but I digress) and the set can be configured to accept updates thru LAN/WLAN while off.
          Either way it'll be a crap shoot.
          This PI would just make things easier than my old method of sensing current on the power cord and controlling via IR.

Thanks.
          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Older Samsungs (C-series) would not support Power-on at all, then they started supporting it via BT only (I think as of D-series)
            I was able to get my C-Series to come on by sending this Hex command:
            0x08 0x22 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x02 0xd4
            via a special cable to the Serial ("ExLink") port.

There are also some other basic commands available through that connection, but none of the smart tv controls, so I had to use that in combo with your plugin.

Will try and give the MediaController PI a try on HS3 Linux (or remotely from a Win machine if that doesn't work)
            cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
              Will try and give the MediaController PI a try on HS3 Linux (or remotely from a Win machine if that doesn't work)
              I'd be interested how that goes on HS3 Linux, would be a little miracle if it worked right out of the chute.

Dirk

Comment

This PI would just make things easier than my old method of sensing current on the power cord and controlling via IR.

Thanks.
                The HS3 version of this PI (MediaManager) has events/conditions for on-line/off-line checks for devices. Can't remember whether I had it in the HS2 version (not in front of my development PC). Of course if the Ethernet port remains up, the PI wouldn't sense it being on-line / off-line so I would have to rethink that. I had a WOL (Wake On Lan) feature in the HS2 DLNA-Manager version but found out that either devices power down their Ethernet port and the WOL was useless, or they leave it on and then you could use the embedded remote control functions.

Going on a tangent here, the new Samsung TVs actually have a lot of features that they make available via UPnP. I believe the E-series and up (and within the series, the Smart TVs which I would think are versions 6xxx and up) support readable objects so you can know what source input is currently in use, DIAL (DIscovery And Launch) protocols allows you to start-up Netflix remotely etc. Of course volume settings from the PI should work with any Samsung TV that supports UPNP. Unfortunately, I don't have a new Samsung TV so I can't play and develop. I was thinking of some "special debug" modes in the HS3 MediaManager version to capture as much as possible that would help me figure out what capabilities it has and add that.

Any takers? This is ONLY in the MediaManager PI though!

Dirk

Comment

I'd be interested how that goes on HS3 Linux, would be a little miracle if it worked right out of the chute.

Dirk

Well, better than we might have imagined. Was able to discover/add 7 different physical devices which created 40+ HS3 devices, including Samsung C8000 controls. Ran out of steam, before exploring what works, but definitely a promising start.
                  cheeryfool

Comment

Just noticed a very minor issue. The status graphics weren't working so I drilled in to the images directory and found them in the same location but with slightly different names. Eg it was looking for NOKBtn.png but the file is NOKBtn-Small.png. I modified the file name in the status graphics panel and now all OK.
                    cheeryfool

Comment

Is this plugin still alive? Does anyone know if it works with a Samsung JS8500 Smart TV.
                      I'm looking to integrate TV control with Alexa. One option is to go IR with the Global cache IR blaster... but if it can be done with DLNA then this might be a better option. I know there's a new Global cache PI but am not sure what it provides...

Robert
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                        Is this plugin still alive? Does anyone know if it works with a Samsung JS8500 Smart TV.
                        I'm looking to integrate TV control with Alexa. One option is to go IR with the Global cache IR blaster... but if it can be done with DLNA then this might be a better option. I know there's a new Global cache PI but am not sure what it provides...

Robert
                        if you are referring to the remote control extension for your Samsung than the answer is NO. As of 2015 (or around that year), there seems to be no way to control Samsung (J series and newer) via Ethernet unless you know how. The protocol is completely encrypted and I haven't found a single soul who has been able to decrypt it, including myself (have UN55JS8500).

Dirk

Comment

Thanks Dirk! I guess I'll go with the GC IR and the Global Cache PRO PI...

Have you tried that route?

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Thanks Dirk! I guess I'll go with the GC IR and the Global Cache PRO PI...

Have you tried that route?

Robert
                            No I haven't

Dirk

Comment

Robert
                              A latest version was posted in the BETA section of the updater. It should work for JS series Samsungs BUT it is not working for Linux (yet?)

Comment

So now the question is - can the plugin be made to control an AppleTV 4K? I am happy to help. I previously made plugins for AppleTV over IR and ROKU over REST API before Meiku did.

Comment

Working...
                                X