No announcement yet.

Computer Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete, think it will work for a headless HS3 platform?

It will work fine.

Historically ran HS2 and currently run HS3 headless.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Pete, think it will work for a headless HS3 platform?

It will work fine.

Historically ran HS2 and currently run HS3 headless.

Thanks for the input, time to crack it open and figure out how to move my install

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
        All great suggestions! Going to give the following a try unless anyone says run away... figured it is pretty light weight and uses minimal power. Fingers crossed it works out.

Now I get to figure out how to move the HS3 installation...
        I just ordered the same pc for my HS3 Pro install. It was delivered today. Hope to get it up and running next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Macrosill View Post
          I just ordered the same pc for my HS3 Pro install. It was delivered today. Hope to get it up and running next week.
          we will be in it together... going to crack it open tonight I think and start checking it out.

Comment

Should have waited to open it... it is now 1:20 in the morning and just getting through windows updates... I hate new computers sometimes

Comment

So far so good, got the entire install moved over to the new comp. Works better headless than trying to do stuff directly on the machine. I forgot how much work it takes to set up a new computer, especially with lower processing. Overall though we have it set up to power on automatically and launch homeseer but not speaker or browser to save resources. The worst part was updating all of the Windows updates... all seems to be ok right now, will post as we continue to put some miles on it.

Comment

I should really be sleeping but I am like a kid with a new toy.

I have the machine up and running. Installed and activated HS3.

Auto login, launch HS3 and auto lock is all set.

I did have an issue with Auto On upon power restore. I had to update the bios for it to work.
                http://www.minixforum.com/threads/re...-update.16421/

In the next couple days I will start installing devices and events.

Comment

Overall though we have it set up to power on automatically and launch homeseer but not speaker or browser to save resources. The worst part was updating all of the Windows updates... all seems to be ok right now, will post as we continue to put some miles on it.
                  How did you set HS3 up to not use the speaker? Did you also somehow prevent HSTouch from invoking the speaker? My interest is that I want to totally disable speaker access. I am fighting a situation where my audio 'bubble pops' from time to time. I think it is related to HS3 speaker use. I don't use speakers for HS3 or HSTouch.

Comment

I should really be sleeping but I am like a kid with a new toy.

I have the machine up and running. Installed and activated HS3.

Auto login, launch HS3 and auto lock is all set.

I did have an issue with Auto On upon power restore. I had to update the bios for it to work.
                    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/re...-update.16421/

In the next couple days I will start installing devices and events.
                    Guilty of staying up to late as well. Overall the systems seem decent. Are you getting gigabit ethernet on yours? Mine looks like it is 10baseT but plenty for what I am using it for.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                      How did you set HS3 up to not use the speaker? Did you also somehow prevent HSTouch from invoking the speaker? My interest is that I want to totally disable speaker access. I am fighting a situation where my audio 'bubble pops' from time to time. I think it is related to HS3 speaker use. I don't use speakers for HS3 or HSTouch.
                      I clicked or unchecked as the case would be to run speaker on startup under the options. I have HSTouch server running on the main unit but not an HSTouch client. Not sure if that makes the difference.

Comment

Guilty of staying up to late as well. Overall the systems seem decent. Are you getting gigabit ethernet on yours? Mine looks like it is 10baseT but plenty for what I am using it for.
                        I have not checked it. I run it wifi, 5Ghz. Gives me 150mb.

I did run into another issue. Windows 10 was set to go to sleep after 10 minutes and also shut the screen off after 10 minutes. It drove me crazy that I could not access the pc remotely. I finally figured it out. I run it headless and access it via Teamviewer since RD access is not available in the Home version of Windows.

I have it all set now, LOL.

I have X10 and Z-Wave working with my W800USB and Smart Stick. Now to add more stuff.

Comment

I run it headless and access it via Teamviewer since RD access is not available in the Home version of Windows.
                          I also run Win 10 Home and I use VNC for remote console. Works great.

Comment

I have not checked it. I run it wifi, 5Ghz. Gives me 150mb.

I did run into another issue. Windows 10 was set to go to sleep after 10 minutes and also shut the screen off after 10 minutes. It drove me crazy that I could not access the pc remotely. I finally figured it out. I run it headless and access it via Teamviewer since RD access is not available in the Home version of Windows.

I have it all set now, LOL.

I have X10 and Z-Wave working with my W800USB and Smart Stick. Now to add more stuff.
                            How you fixed that, in Control panel - Power Option?
                            I also plan on just leaving the Minix hidden away and not connected to any monitor.
                            So I assume I would have to setup all here in the Studio room before moving it to the permanent kitchen location as that is the most centralized location for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Inxider View Post
                              I also plan on just leaving the Minix hidden away and not connected to any monitor.
                              So I assume I would have to setup all here in the Studio room before moving it to the permanent kitchen location as that is the most centralized location for it.
                              I turned off sleep settings under the power settings on mine. I didn't care if the display went to sleep so I left that alone. I had it hooked up to a monitor for setup and made sure to adjust the bios to turn back on after a power outage --> login automatically and start Homeseer. I also tried to turn off/uninstall as much windows crap as possible that I wouldn't be using and update the system fully.

After that, I had Homeseer up and running and accessible on my network. Unplugged the monitor and accessed my Homeseer install via ip and port number. The only thing I can't do remotely as I didn't install any sort of client on the machine is access windows directly. For me, not a big deal as I am only using it to run Homeseer and if I need to tweak a setting I can always plug a monitor in for a few minutes to make the change.

Comment

Originally posted by Inxider View Post
                                In the power options of Windows I set the computer to NEVER go to sleep and the monitor to NEVER turn off. The monitor turning off was causing issues with Teamviewer for some reason. Once Windows is set and Homeseer is set to run on its own you should be able to do anything Homeseer related via the browser on your local PC and not touch the MiniX at all, unless there is a hardware install needed.

I set up the MiniX with a keyboard, mouse and monitor until it was all setup with software and my interfaces configured, Smart Stick and W800USB.

Comment

Working...
                                X