Hub vs ISY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub vs ISY

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of having either the hub of the isy? I currently have the HUB and seem to keep losing the interface. I had to create an event to disable and enable the plugin ever half hour to ensure that all is working. Seems a little crazy.

Also, why can't I find the plugin, inside the plugin manager?

Which plugin?

I've had intermittent problems using the Mark Sandler plugin and a Hub.
    That combined with the lack of UK products is forcing me away from Insteon towards z-wave!

Comment

I can't comment on the HUB but I have an ISY and I have to say that's the most reliable thing in my system. I've never had crash or not work when sending a command to it.

Comment

Originally posted by freeon View Post
        I can't comment on the HUB but I have an ISY and I have to say that's the most reliable thing in my system. I've never had crash or not work when sending a command to it.
        I agree with the above (I have an ISY), however I am contemplating going to straight Insteon in Homeseer using Mark Sandler's plugin (No hub or ISY).

I do have 2 hubs here (version 1 I think) if you'd like one...I don't know what they are worth, but they are just taking up space. I've set one up to try it, but I didn't like that the ISY and the Hub didn't get changes from devices that were controlled by the other (Turning the light on via the Hub didn't report it in the ISY and vice versa). Granted, a person would likely only be using one or the other, not both.

Comment

What plugging do I need to use for the isy?

I have a hub and am not happy with it

Comment

I use the ISYInsteon plugin, rock solid. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=164310
            Mike

Comment

When and if I get the isy.. Do I have to reset all my insteon devices and start over? And does the isy update HS and vise versa?

Comment

Originally posted by cpd5899 View Post
                When and if I get the isy.. Do I have to reset all my insteon devices and start over? And does the isy update HS and vise versa?
                You will have to add the devices to the ISY. There is an option when you add to wipe all existing links. Since you have an existing network, I don't think you want to do this, however, since I started with an ISY, I don't know if the ISY will pick up all your programming that you've done without it.

As to the updates they are pretty much instantaneous for me. If I set up a notification based on an isy device change or event, I get almost instantaneous notification (and that is with it going over pushover.net)

I often use KPLs to turn on non-insteon devices via HS (Z-wave and Hue). The reaction time is more than acceptable and any lag that I notice is mostly if not all due to the z-wave devices not the ISY ->HS link.

Comment

I am an ISY user, and I've never regretted it. You can...
                  - Send texts or emails
                  - Use variables to store information, such as counters or a light's current brightness level
                  - Interface to a security system, thermostat (even non-Insteon), an Echo, etc.
                  - Create If / Then / Else programs to add a wealth of features to your SmartHouse
                  - Easily create/modify scenes
                  - Outstanding ISY customer support as well as forum support
                  - System is continuously being improved with new features

Some examples of what you can do...
                  If I arm the security system, and exit out the to the garage: Then automatically turn the garage lights on, and open the garage door so I can pull out.

If I'm away from home, and it's night: Then randomly turn on some lights for a random amount of time, to make the house appear occupied.

If I come home and it's dark, when I open the front door: Then turn the lights on for me. Also trigger HomeSeer to tell me if I have any new voicemail messages or missed calls.

If I double tap a light off when leaving the room: Then turn off all lights & devices in that room.

If the bathroom light is off, and I tap "off" on my SwitchLinc: Then gently fade the bathroom light on to half brightness so it doesn't blind me in the middle of the night.

Set variables as flags to enable house modes. Eg: "Automatic Lighting = 1" then allow all automated lighting programs to run (Eg, turn on accent lights at sunset, turn off all lights when leaving home, turn off outside lights at sunrise, turn lights on by motion, etc.). I also have a KeypadLinc button for "Quiet Mode". When I press the button, it tells HomeSeer not to speak trivial announcements such as "Mail is here" or "You have new email", but still can speak important announcements like, "Tornado Warning".

Track Occupancy with a variable. If an exterior door is opened, then set variable "Occupied" to 0. Then if a motion sensor, inside door or light is turned on, set "Occupied" to 1. Then if you don't want certain lights to turn on unless you're home (Occupied = 1), you can do that.

I currently have 126 ISY programs, which adds a tremendous amount of new features. The only thing HS is needed for is to speak, answer the phone, and act as my touchscreen controller (HS Touch). You can also run ISY programs or set variables from HomeSeer.

Comment

Thanks for that answer.... That was EXACTLY what I needed to make up my mind!!!!!

Comment

Now this might be a silly question, but when getting an ISY, is there any other equipment I need? Or does it come with a PLM to talk with my insteon devices?

Also, just curious, does it work with z-wave?

Comment

Take a look at the ISY manufacturer's (Universal Devices) web page. It says the ISY 994i now has an expansion slot to support Z-wave or ZigBee, in addition to X10 & Insteon.
                        https://www.universal-devices.com/re...sy994i-series/

Yes, you will need a PLM for Insteon. You can typically buy it with, or without, an Insteon PLM, depending on your needs. Here are some options at SmartHome:
                        http://home-automation.smarthome.com...iversaldevices

FYI! The ISY Insteon plugin for HomeSeer 3 is still in development (Alpha) and has been for quite some time (Since 2013). The HS2 plugin is complete. But honestly, it runs quite reliably, and supports most everything I need (And it's FREE while in development!) A few options are not yet supported, like ISY weather, thermostat support, and ISY Power Monitor (Flex your power works, as does ISY Energy Events). But I can't really think of anything that I can't do. HS3 can even see when ISY programs run (Is running True/False, Becomes True/False, starts/stops, and if a program is enabled/disabled). See below for some of the plug-in triggers...
                        http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=919
                        Attached Files

Comment

Another vote for ISY. Super stable and reliable. The Plug-in, even in beta form is equally reliable. Universal-Devices provides great support. It's the heart of my system.
                          My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Final question (for now... LOL) How is the learning curve? I'm not a programmer and it's taken me awhile to learn everything HS3 has to offer. Just don't want to be offline for a week or so until it's up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by CJVann View Post
                              A few options are not yet supported, like ISY weather, thermostat support, and ISY Power Monitor (Flex your power works, as does ISY Energy Events).
                              Just to clarify some of this. The ISY weather module is supported, all of the weather values are available in HS as devices. Insteon thermostats are supported also, there's a bug somewhere that prevents them from showing up as thermostats in the HSTouch interface. But they can be monitored and controlled. The Insteon iMeter energy monitors are supported as well.

The plug-in doesn't have support for the per device power information from the ISY.

Z-Wave device support is a bit thin, basic dimmer/switch type device and door lock devices work. Other devices may or may not work correctly.
                              --
                              Bob Paauwe
                              ISYInsteon Plug-in
                              http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Working...
                              X