JSON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JSON

I thought starting a separate thread would make it easier to consolidate JSON experiences, comments and questions.

As a first post, here's my issue.

I'm sending GET requests via an application. When I tested via a Web browser, this would do it:
    http://[HS IP&port]/JSON?request=controldevicebylabel&ref=15&label=Off

So I translated this for use within my application as :
    GET /JSON?request=controldevicebylabel&ref=15&label=Off[CrLf]

But this wouldn't work. It took me a few hours to realize that the above statement would need the mandatory HTTP version, so the following did work:
    GET /JSON?request=controldevicebylabel&ref=15&label=Off HTTP/1.0[CrLf]

This might be old news for Web programmers, but might be usefull for casual users.

Alternative to JSON

I had been using RedTechie's RESTful API and then HS's JSON showed up. I'm surprised very few people mentioned the RESTful API: it was the pioneer in externalizing HS.

My comments on JSON API (JSON) -vs- RedTechie's RESTful API (RESTful), as of November 1st 2014.

RESTful functions:

JSON's API:

In my opinion, JSON provides a few more functions (GetCounter, GetSetting, GetControl, GetSetting), while RESTful offers a simpler XML based reply format: when setting a status or value it will return True or False when the reply is not meant to have data content.

RESTful offers a bit more flexibility by allowing reference by name or Id on more functions.

In terms of response, I found both equally speedy.

Two points I'd like to make:
    1- not trying to pin RESTful against JSON, but for those looking at an XML response type, well, there is RESTful
    2- I would like to see JSON adopt some of the flexibility of RESTful (reference by name or Id on more functions) and a simpler response structure as in "my control command worked or not)

Comment

How to specify a delta dim in JSON?

How do I specify an Dim increment/decrement value on a dimmable device in a JSON controldevicebylabel?

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
        I had been using RedTechie's RESTful API and then HS's JSON showed up. I'm surprised very few people mentioned the RESTful API: it was the pioneer in externalizing HS.

My comments on JSON API (JSON) -vs- RedTechie's RESTful API (RESTful), as of November 1st 2014.

RESTful functions:

JSON's API:

In my opinion, JSON provides a few more functions (GetCounter, GetSetting, GetControl, GetSetting), while RESTful offers a simpler XML based reply format: when setting a status or value it will return True or False when the reply is not meant to have data content.

RESTful offers a bit more flexibility by allowing reference by name or Id on more functions.

In terms of response, I found both equally speedy.

Two points I'd like to make:
        1- not trying to pin RESTful against JSON, but for those looking at an XML response type, well, there is RESTful
        2- I would like to see JSON adopt some of the flexibility of RESTful (reference by name or Id on more functions) and a simpler response structure as in "my control command worked or not)
        FYI, users of the HT-Zee & HT-Pi cannot use the RESTful interface (as ASP.NET is not supported) so JSON is their only option.
        Jon

Comment

Jon,

I recall now... thanks for the reminder.

Comment

JSON parameters that include spaces

I tried no quotes and double quotes around parameters that include spaces, but still get an error.

What's the recipe?

Edit: I realized that this had nothing to do with JSON, but rather with the GET syntax. So the answer is: replace space with %20
            Last edited by claude; November 2, 2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

How do I specify an Dim increment/decrement value on a dimmable device in a JSON controldevicebylabel?
              Anybody?

Comment

Hi Claude, not sure if there is a way. There's nothing in the docs that mention if it's possible. You may have to read the current value first and then send a new value based on the current plus the delta.

Cheers
                Al
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  Hi Claude, not sure if there is a way. There's nothing in the docs that mention if it's possible. You may have to read the current value first and then send a new value based on the current plus the delta.

Cheers
                  Al
                  Thanks for the reply. It's pretty much what I figured. Insteon will accept programmatic +/-1 step dimming, but you have to go pretty low level programming, so way out of HomeSeer's range.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It's pretty much what I figured. Insteon will accept programmatic +/-1 step dimming, but you have to go pretty low level programming, so way out of HomeSeer's range.
                    Try sending a -8 and a -9 as the value. If that doesn't work, post a screen shot of the Status Graphics tab of the device and there may be something there that works.

Cheers
                    Al

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                      Try sending a -8 and a -9 as the value. If that doesn't work, post a screen shot of the Status Graphics tab of the device and there may be something there that works.

Cheers
                      Al
                      Already tried that one: returns "error". Here's the Graphics tab of the device:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Claude,

Which plugin created that device? You may want to discuss with the plugin author to add CAPI values that sends a Dim + and a Dim -.

Cheers
                        Al

Comment

Feedback after command is giving the old status

If I command Homeseer, the JSON string which is returned is giving me the old status instead of the new status. Is this by design?

Best regards,

DePampi

Comment

Originally posted by depampi View Post
                            If I command Homeseer, the JSON string which is returned is giving me the old status instead of the new status. Is this by design?

Best regards,

DePampi
                            See post #67 here where this was first being discussed. There isn't a solution for this at this time.
                            http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=170144
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Anybody?
                              Sounds like there is no solution?

I am finally playing with controlling my devices through my Zee with my Pebble. :-)

It is working. . .was just thinking it would be nice to be able to adjust the thermostat via JSON, but not sure if there is a way to go up one degree, etc instead of picking a static temperature.

Comment

Working...
                              X