Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open source garage door controller - plugin development

Hi All,

I'm creator of Garadget - open source smart garage door controller, reaching out to home automation communities to see if there is interest in developing the integration.
    Garadget uses well documented REST/oAuth protocols and comes with variety of development tools.

Our vibrant community already made significant progress with HA integrations and it would be awesome to add HomeSeer to the growing list.

@blade @spud @?

I'll be happy to provide dev unit, test account, resource files etc.

I've done a fair bit with my Particle device (it's still in use reporting sensors in my shed) so know how to get it working with HS and have used the web hooks talking to the MyHS service. I've had a look and can't see any mention of an API in the link you sent, just the firmware (and nice to see the open source). Are you expecting firmware to be updated for each use case or am I missing something?

If you wanted to send it to the UK (understand if you don't want to) I could make you a plugin (I don't write paid plugins) but guess would need to know whether or not you were expecting to have the Particle code written also.

Comment

@mrhappy,
      Thanks for your quick reply. The github link has Garadget specific protocol described below the links to the firmware source files (variables, functions, events). I'm maintaining the firmware and there is no need to program anything on the device end of the cloud.

If you're comfortable talking to stock Photon's from your HomeSeer setup, then you'll be right at home with Garadget, because that's what it is. I'll send you a unit as soon as you confirm you have a liftoff with the test account (details in PM).

Comment

Nice job! I like the simplicity of this. When do you plan to have them on sale? I'd offer to write a plugin, but it looks like mrhappy beat me to it.
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Thanks @reidfo,
          Garadget is already available for sale from stock (indiegogo, ebay, amazon, tindie).

In the spirit of the open source multiple versions/forks of plugins and collaboration are welcomed. I'll send you the details for the dev account.
          Last edited by garadget; December 31, 2016, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Can this device be controlled locally, or only through the cloud?

Comment

Great question, @aptalca. It's a popular request.
              The hardware is capable of it, but the current firmware only supports the cloud based connection. Allowing the device to serve the incoming connections comes with a serious security implications so this is not the kind of feature that I want rushed. We'll get there though.

Comment

For anyone interested I have started a plugin and got most of it working mainly just the visual stuff to finish and the OAuth stuff to sort out with HS. I'll start a new thread when I have the unit and it is ready for beta testing.

Comment

Thanks Adam!

I'm happy to offer Garadget discount to Home Seer owners interested in helping with the plugin testing. Please PM for arrangements.

Comment

If anyone is interested in doing a bit of testing for me and has a unit if they could send me a PM it would be great, the plugin is now in the updater under the 'Security' section.

Documentation attached here.

There will be no HS4 version of this plugin, it is HS3 only - however it might probably work with HS4 with some limitations.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by mrhappy; January 18, 2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks to a tester I've found a bug but fixed it in version .2 that I have posted in the updater.

Unfortunately due to some constraints within HSTouch you won't be able to get this showing up in the default locks screen, it is fixed to Z-Wave devices only and has a very specific expectations around labels/values for devices. It will however just work through the device chooser as any other device would.

Comment

I'm interested in this device, especially since there is a nice looking plugin. I think the idea and implementation look great. I have some reservations though about the cloud aspect from a startup. If I were to buy into the hardware what would happen to it should the startup be forced to shutdown? Also, the cloudiness/startupness of it all makes me nervous from a security standpoint. No track record, no insurance to back up the security are not great features for a security device. I'd love to hear some discussion on why/how this device/plugin are safe.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                        Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                        Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                          I'm interested in this device, especially since there is a nice looking plugin. I think the idea and implementation look great. I have some reservations though about the cloud aspect from a startup. If I were to buy into the hardware what would happen to it should the startup be forced to shutdown? Also, the cloudiness/startupness of it all makes me nervous from a security standpoint. No track record, no insurance to back up the security are not great features for a security device. I'd love to hear some discussion on why/how this device/plugin are safe.
                          Particle who are responsible for the cloud side of things for this device have their modules in all sorts of devices, the Luna smart bed, their Particle devices and anything else embedded in various products (I know one HA hub uses it)...I don't know how many devices but I'd estimate many hundreds of thousands worldwide if not higher.

Particle advertise that all communication is encrypted and OAuth is also implemented so I would say the security is greater than if you were to expose your HS system to the outside world on an open port (because AFAIK that only supports basic authentication, MyHS/SSL would be different), https://www.particle.io/pricing is the information on it. The plugin has an OAuth token given to it when you enter your details and then it retains that token and that is stored locally, it is only sent when you either request the status of the unit or try and control it which is a fairly standard method.

If Garadget were to close as a business my understanding is that the device would continue to function as the device communicates with the Particle servers (well I know this to be the case, none of the URL calls are to anything to or from Garadget). I don't know if the device is claimed by Garadget for contract purposes with Particle (if you look on their pricing structure they have some sort of contract type arrangement but I don't know the ins and outs).

Particle are partners with IFTTT, Microsoft, Google Cloud etc so I don't imagine they will go just overnight as a lot of devices will be dead not just this unit.

Comment

@jlrichar, you voice some legitimate concerns. There are serveral ways in which I try to address them:

1. the device is an opens source, so there can not be any back doors sneaked into it, also the openness allows community members to publish non-official firmware version not relying on the cloud or relying on different service provider. Unlike the proprietary cloud based products, if you buy Garadget, it's yours to do whatever you want with it, including reprogramming it to your liking.

2. the company offering the device is a small one (pretty much myself and few contractors), which on one hand doesn't sound reassuring, but consider the fact that with the very lean operation the viability of the service doesn't depend on the product becoming and remaining a sales hit. Pebble had very impressive sales, but even that wasn't enough to sustain their growing expenses. Now they're no more.

3. the primary functions of Garadget are riding on Particle's cloud and the cost of the service is pre-paid for the life of the device with their module inside of the controller. This means that the base cloud service will continue for as long as Particle is around. Things such as web interface and notifications can be implemented on the side (IFTTT and other options).

4. Cloud-less options for Garadget are in the works. Currently it's MQTT, more likely to follow.

5. At the cost of a couple of home automation switches, Garadget is not a huge investment considering the daily convenience it brings. If you want to stretch your buck even more, consider these options.

Thanks for your thoughtful questions.
                            Last edited by garadget; February 6, 2017, 04:29 PM. Reason: Sales offer added.

Comment

Thanks for explaining the relationship with particle. I know that was mentioned early on, but it did not register. This device and plugin looks better and better the more I look at it.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                              Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                              Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Working...
                              X