Cable Recommendations for PoE Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable Recommendations for PoE Cameras

I am going to be opening up some walls for another reason, and I would like to run some wire for future IP camera use. What type of ethernet cable should I be looking for? Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6? Is a special grade of cable required for PoE? Also is UTP or STP better?

My plan is to run one ethernet wire from my main switch to a location in the garage, where the PoE switch will be located. The cameras will be wired to that PoE switch. Is this an acceptable way to wire it? Also, if I wanted cameras in another area of the house, could I use a second PoE switch there?

Thanks for the help.

Just get some CAT 6 patch cables from Monoprice and call it a day. And yes, you can have an other POE switch further down the line.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Agree - CAT6
      Depending on the location you can get POE switches that are powered by POE. Of course the 'master' POE switch has to have enough power to begin with. I would choose a switch with a higher power budget than you think you will use.

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
        Agree - CAT6
        Depending on the location you can get POE switches that are powered by POE. Of course the 'master' POE switch has to have enough power to begin with. I would choose a switch with a higher power budget than you think you will use.

Thanks. so any CAT6 will work? CAT6 PoE is nothing different? Is UTP OK?

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
          The cameras are all likely to to be 100BASE-TX Ethernet, so you can use CAT5 CAT5e or CAT6 without issue. POE will work with any of them, as long as all 4 pairs are used. POE generally uses 2 pairs (the "spare" pairs on 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX), but some newer implementations use all 4. UTP stands for Unshielded Twisted Pair which is fine. You could also use one of the two shielded types, but it would be overkill. CAT6 UTP would (mostly) futureproof.

Here is a Belden blog post describing the different types.
          Last edited by randy; May 25, 2018, 07:27 PM.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

What distances are we talking about? The different standards are mainly about how much bandwidth can be carried over certain distances. To get 1Gb Ethernet to 300(350?)ft you'd have to use cat6 yada yada.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
              What distances are we talking about? The different standards are mainly about how much bandwidth can be carried over certain distances. To get 1Gb Ethernet to 300(350?)ft you'd have to use cat6 yada yada.

Maybe 50 feet from the main switch to the PoE switch, and then another 20-50 feet to each camera.

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
                When using cat cables for data there are 2 unused strands of wire. POE utilises these.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                  This is patently false. Category 5E supports 1Gb/s to 100M, the standard Ethernet maximum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                    This is patently false. Category 5E supports 1Gb/s to 100M, the standard Ethernet maximum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I believe that CAT 6 is for 100 M of 10GBE. That said all sorts of people report being able to make CAT 5E work with shorter runs for 10 GBE. But the cost difference, if there is any, between a CAT 5E and CAT 6 patch cable is negligible.
                    Originally posted by rprade
                    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                      I believe that CAT 6 is for 100 M of 10GBE. That said all sorts of people report being able to make CAT 5E work with shorter runs for 10 GBE. But the cost difference, if there is any, between a CAT 5E and CAT 6 patch cable is negligible.
                      Thanks for more information, there are a few bits of incorrect information in this thread
                      • CAT5 is good for 10 or 100mb with a rating of 100MHZ
                      • CAT5E is good for GB Ethernet with a rating of 100MHZ
                      • CAT6 is good for 10GB ethernet with a rating of 250mhz for reduced crosstalk and support of 100 meters at 10GB. CAT6 cable is slightly thicker than CAT5 and CAT5E and is a little more difficult to run.
                      • CAT6A has an increased bandwidth of 500MHZ to further reduce crosstalk. It is good for 10GB at the full 100 meter length
                      • All of the cables are good for 100 meters at their rated speed except for CAT 6. At 10GB it is good for runs of about 150-200 feet in most environments
                      • All 4 are good for POE (12.95-watts) . CAT6 is recommended for long runs at 1GB when using POE+ (25.5-watts)
                      • 10 and 100MB speeds are transmitted on 2 of the 4 twisted pairs
                      • 1GB and 10GB use all 4 twisted pairs
                      • Since cameras have fairly low bandwidth requirements, they usually only have 100MB Ethernet interfaces. Any of the 4 categories are good for 100 meters at 100MB
                      • All categories of cable are backward compatible with lower categories. All cables can exceed their rated bandwidth on shorter runs
                      • CAT5E should be adequate for any normal household with a maximum run of 328 feet and a maximum speed of 1GB
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                      X