Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to set the status of a virtual device on the status change of multiple devices

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to set the status of a virtual device on the status change of multiple devices

Here is what I would like to do...

My end goal is to have a Virtual Device that has either a status of "Door Open" or "All Doors Closed". This virtual device would be based on any of my 5 devices that represent my doors. So that if all of the individual doors are closed the virtual device shows "All Doors Closed". If any one of the individual door devices is violated, then the virtual device would show Door Open.

I can think of a couple of ways to do this, but none are easy or elegant...

Ideally, I could have a location grouping called "doors" and if any device within this location became violated, then the virtual device would also become violated. And it would be great if the virtual device would actually list which doors were open, but that would be step 2 since I'm not exactly how I would enumerate the status of door in a single device....so this isn't a requirement, just a nice to have.

Any ideas? I can do basic scripting if necessary.

I do something similar with devices being on or off in rooms. I am no good at scripting so I did it with events.
    Attached Files
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Thanks Marty, I thought of using conditions, but my understanding is that if you use a condition only trigger, there is no instant status updates and the virtual device would only be updated about once a minute.

That is OKAY and may be what I end up doing, but I was hoping for instant status updates if possible...

Comment

Originally posted by scott12v View Post
        Thanks Marty, I thought of using conditions, but my understanding is that if you use a condition only trigger, there is no instant status updates and the virtual device would only be updated about once a minute.

That is OKAY and may be what I end up doing, but I was hoping for instant status updates if possible...
        Scott,

I use conditions a lot myself. They do respond mostly within seconds, not minutes. Try and you might be surprised

Wim
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

I can't say I ever timed it but it's always been as quick as I needed, i've never seen it take a minute it's usually close enough to instant that it didn't matter.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Okay...tried this just using conditions. Works OK, but not great. The first time I tried, it took about 30 seconds to update my virtual device.

Not terrible, but not as quick as I would like. For windows, it should be good enough, for doors, I might try separate events for each door.

What would really be nice is if Homeseer had a trigger that would fire if any device in a particular grouping chaned status. That would make it very easy to say for any Window that has a status change, run a particular script.

Thanks for the replies.

Scott

Comment

Working...
            X