X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 / HS3 automatic start from a cold boot

How to start HS3 from windows 10 automatically from a cold boot

I struggled for two days trying to get HS3 windows version to startup directly from a cold boot.

I had HS3 running as a service but from what I read it is not supported. Two issues I encountered running HS3 as a service were:

1. When closing the service down, log entries were lost and the home screen would not save which appliances were on/off correctly. (Devices from the main menu, would not save the state they were in)
    2. The speaker did not work

I wanted for my dedicated PC to boot and start HS3 as if I started it manually.
    Everything seems to work much better. Hopefully this will help you.

Here are the step by step instructions to start HS3 from windows 10.

Step 1 (You need to make your PC login automatically. If you have multiple user/profiles you will need to select one that has admin access.)

1. Right click on the windows button and select the “Run” command.
    2. Enter netplwiz <Enter>
    3. When the “User Accounts” dialog pops up click on the user you want to automatically login as.
    4. At the top “uncheck” users must enter a username and password to user the computer
    5. Now click apply
    6. You must enter a user name and password to use this computer. Click Apply
    Reboot the computer and watch it login by itself.

Step 2. (Add a new folder and task to the windows scheduler. This will bypass the dialog box when you start HS3.exe, you normally have to click OK. It's called User Account Control (UAC))
    Start the “Task Schedule” by clicking on the windows button and typing “Task Schedule”

1. In Task Scheduler, right-click "Task Scheduler Library" and select "New Folder" and name it “WhiteList”
    2. Select the new folder and click "Create Task" (not "Create Basic Task")
    3. Name it “Run HS3”. Click "Run with highest privileges," and select your OS under "Configure for."
    4. Under the Actions tab, select "Start a program" in the Action dropdown if it isn't already. Click Browse and find the HS3.exe file or Paste "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\HS3.exe" including the double quotes. Important: Start in (optional): C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\ must be added as well.
    Other settings… “Run only when the user is logged on” and “Run with highest privileges” should both be selected.
    5. (Laptops only) Under Conditions tab, deselect "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power."
    6. Go to the "Settings" tab and un-check "Stop this task if it runs longer then".

Step 3 - (Create a batch file)

1. On your desktop, right click and select New > Text Document
    2. Paste

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /RUN /TN "WhiteList\Run HS3"
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

into the batch file.

3. Rename the batchfile to “StartHS3.cmd”
    4. To test your work, double click on the StartHS3.cmd you just created, HS3 should start normally and then lock your screen. (If not, you have done something wrong)

Step 4 - (Copy the batch file to the windows startup folder)

Right click on the windows button and select the “Run” command.
    paste shell:startup then press <Enter>.
    Copy the shortcut you named “StartHS3.cmd” to the startup directory/folder that just opened.

Reboot
    Last edited by Rubber_Boot; January 26, 2017, 04:44 PM. Reason: Added step 2 #6.

As always, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same thing. I use a startup app (Startup Delayer) and it works just fine. One entry and done. It isn't rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
      As always, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same thing. I use a startup app (Startup Delayer) and it works just fine. One entry and done. It isn't rocket science.
      How does it handle logging you on first? (sorry if that's a dumb question)

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
        How does it handle logging you on first? (sorry if that's a dumb question)
        It doesn't. Many are using netplwiz.exe to set the server to login to a user at boot. That is how mine works. Login is automatic and startup delayer starts HS3. Mine has worked flawlessly for over 2 years using that method.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank you rubber boot for posting this information. I followed each step and tested my StartHS3.CMD from the desktop; it locked the screen and correctly started homeseer. However, when I reboot the computer, I end up on the desktop and Homeseer is not apparently running. If I try to start Homeseer, I get a message that says "HS3 is already running" though there is no indication on the desktop or task bar to support that. If I look in task manager, it does not appear as a running app, though it appears as a background process. If I delete that process, I am able to start Homeseer. What did I screw up?
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
          2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
          300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
          6 CT-100 tstats
          Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
          18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

Having tried unsuccessfully to do it myself, I much admire rubber boots solution. However, Racefern was correct about the simplicity of downloading the free R2 Delay Start program. It was easy to configure and worked perfectly. Thank you both.
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
            2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
            300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
            6 CT-100 tstats
            Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
            18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

The Windows "restart" issue can easily be solve by shutting down HS3 using the following.

It works in every type of shutdown I've tried.

1) Create a new .txt file and add this: "taskkill /IM HS3.exe"
              2) Save and rename with extension .cmd
              3) Using: gpedit.msc Navigate to User Configuration >> Windows Settings >> Scripts | (Logon/Logoff)
              4) Double click on Logoff and add the path of the .cmd file you created.

That's it. Windows will always logoff user(s) before restarting windows. and since HS3 will only start when a user logs on, problem solved.

I still find @Rubber_Boot' s solution the best native Windows solution we have, as it's the only solution that I've found that allows .aspx pages to be served up correctly.

NOTE: You will want to add this to Computer Configuration also.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ServiceXp; September 5, 2018, 05:50 PM.
              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Maybe this video will help.

I have been a customer of Homeseer for 4 years and I could not speak more highly of them. Their product is ultra-reliable and does not need to be connected to the internet to work. Since I wrote this posting Homeseer posted a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mmLKPrmXU to help you start from a cold boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubber_Boot View Post
                  Maybe this video will help.

I have been a customer of Homeseer for 4 years and I could not speak more highly of them. Their product is ultra-reliable and does not need to be connected to the internet to work. Since I wrote this posting Homeseer posted a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mmLKPrmXU to help you start from a cold boot.
                  Worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

I use autologon from Microsoft to log me in... then I dropped a shortcut for HS3 into the all users startup folder...
                    it works for me...and has been since hs3 came out...
                    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

How does this solution handle "reboots"..... of any kind?
                      RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                        How does this solution handle "reboots"..... of any kind?
                        Same solution that works for a cold-boot will work for any other (re)boot as well, especially those forced Windows Upgrades we all love

One thing to add to the existing guide is to launch "HSSentry.exe" as well with elevated privileges.

That way when OS/system is running fine, but HomeSeer becomes unresponsive, then after 7x 20sec timeout (check hs_sentry.log file) it will (re)start HomeSeer automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by RoChess View Post

Same solution that works for a cold-boot will work for any other (re)boot as well, especially those forced Windows Upgrades we all love

One thing to add to the existing guide is to launch "HSSentry.exe" as well with elevated privileges.

That way when OS/system is running fine, but HomeSeer becomes unresponsive, then after 7x 20sec timeout (check hs_sentry.log file) it will (re)start HomeSeer automatically.
                          There is a high probably of HS corruption if the OS performs a restart, especially from an auto-update. I have experienced this 4 time, unfortunately. I'm not sure what it is about my setup that is prone to HS reboot corruption, but I've only found one way to prevent it.
                          RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Corruption tends to occur when important data did not get written to storage, be it flat-file or database.

Do you have a lot of plugins running with SQLite backends? Default Windows settings to inform applications that the OS/System is restarting is often not sufficient in duration when many databases have to close.

Those settings can be adjusted though to match the specs of your system, or upgrade your system to a faster CPU or especially storage such as an SSD capable of >10k IOPS whereas a mechanical drive is often stuck at 100 or less.

One of the registry settings = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control and adjust "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" setting to allow threads more time.

Comment

Thanks for the info.. I don't think it's a CPU or Storage issue in my case. My HS3 instance is running on an i7-8700K with an 960 EVO SSD

EDIT: I should add that since implementing my solution above, I've not had any corruption from a reboot.. < Knock on wood>
                              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X