No announcement yet.

Including Aeotec Wallmote Quad (ZW130)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received the latest firmware (1.6) and found some problems. I have put in a fix, update to Z-Wave plugin 3.0.1.108 (in the beta section of the plugins page).

You will need to remove and then add back the Wallmote.

It now creates one device per button, then one device for central scene, and one battery device. One one central scene device is needed since you cannot hold down more than one button at a time. Scene 1 is button 1, scene 2 is button 2 etc. It now adds all the proper associations so the 4 devices are updated properly. The buttons no longer appear in the UI since there is nothing to control.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm excited to try the fix

I have also upgraded the Wallmotes to 1.6 (as provided by the mfr) but they still didn't add properly.

I'll try the beta z-wave plug in tonight and see if it works. I wanted to confirm though, this is my primary system and if I use the beta plug-in for the z-wave module, things should still work in the house, right?

Gotta keep the WAF close to 100% :-)

Comment

You never know with Beta stuff, but I am pretty confident that it should not harm any existing devices. There were some changes in regards to adding devices, so if there is an issue, it would be there. I have to add more devices to test that.

Just to be sure, back up your entire HS folder. If you see an issue, its easy to go back.

Originally posted by dmcentire View Post
        I have also upgraded the Wallmotes to 1.6 (as provided by the mfr) but they still didn't add properly.

I'll try the beta z-wave plug in tonight and see if it works. I wanted to confirm though, this is my primary system and if I use the beta plug-in for the z-wave module, things should still work in the house, right?

Comment

I don't have the Wallmotes, but I installed the beta. All seems to be fine on my system.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
            I received the latest firmware (1.6) and found some problems. I have put in a fix, update to Z-Wave plugin 3.0.1.108 (in the beta section of the plugins page).

You will need to remove and then add back the Wallmote.

It now creates one device per button, then one device for central scene, and one battery device. One one central scene device is needed since you cannot hold down more than one button at a time. Scene 1 is button 1, scene 2 is button 2 etc. It now adds all the proper associations so the 4 devices are updated properly. The buttons no longer appear in the UI since there is nothing to control.
            Hi all,

So, I have 2 of these wallmote guys, and have been lurking on this thread for a few weeks until I finally got ahold of them.

With wallmote 1 - app version 1.5:
            I added him as a secure node using Zwave plugin v102. Had a little bit of trouble, but eventually it added. Of course, I had the strange devices added in HS3 (latest build - v313), but it did work.

I upgraded to Zwave plugin v108, deleted all but the root device, then did a re-scan. It all worked! I got the devices as described in this thread with v108.

With plugin v102, I had the battery drain issue also. But with v108, it seems to be behaving normally.

With wallmote 2 - app version 1.5:
            I did not add him until after I upgraded to v108. I can't add securely; it gives the dreaded security scheme negation error. I've tried it 5 or 6 times. Yes, it's sitting right next to the ZNet.

Half the time, the add fails -- add object returned an error... sometimes the device will register itself as a node, but ZNet doesn't know anything about that node ID. Sometimes it gets past that point but then gives the security scheme error.

[rant]
            In general, the add process for any and all devices is so error-prone, with zwave plugin crashes/unresponsiveness/restarts and 'add object null/failed' and such that new devices give me simultaneous happiness and dread, since I know that adding it will be such a chore, often requiring an hour or more. (In this case, I'm up to maybe 3 hours on these 2 devices).
            [/rant]

So there's my feedback... I'd prefer to have both devices added as secure devices, so if there's a bug in the zwave plugin v108 with regard to adding these devices securely, I'd love to have that fixed.

Comment

Don't bother adding it securely, it will just eat up the battery and also run really slow. Add it non-secure.

Originally posted by hjk View Post
              Hi all,

So, I have 2 of these wallmote guys, and have been lurking on this thread for a few weeks until I finally got ahold of them.

With wallmote 1 - app version 1.5:
              I added him as a secure node using Zwave plugin v102. Had a little bit of trouble, but eventually it added. Of course, I had the strange devices added in HS3 (latest build - v313), but it did work.

I upgraded to Zwave plugin v108, deleted all but the root device, then did a re-scan. It all worked! I got the devices as described in this thread with v108.

With plugin v102, I had the battery drain issue also. But with v108, it seems to be behaving normally.

With wallmote 2 - app version 1.5:
              I did not add him until after I upgraded to v108. I can't add securely; it gives the dreaded security scheme negation error. I've tried it 5 or 6 times. Yes, it's sitting right next to the ZNet.

Half the time, the add fails -- add object returned an error... sometimes the device will register itself as a node, but ZNet doesn't know anything about that node ID. Sometimes it gets past that point but then gives the security scheme error.

[rant]
              In general, the add process for any and all devices is so error-prone, with zwave plugin crashes/unresponsiveness/restarts and 'add object null/failed' and such that new devices give me simultaneous happiness and dread, since I know that adding it will be such a chore, often requiring an hour or more. (In this case, I'm up to maybe 3 hours on these 2 devices).
              [/rant]

So there's my feedback... I'd prefer to have both devices added as secure devices, so if there's a bug in the zwave plugin v108 with regard to adding these devices securely, I'd love to have that fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                Don't bother adding it securely, it will just eat up the battery and also run really slow. Add it non-secure.
                Hi Rich -- I'm great with that. The user guide indicated that all sorts of goodness flowed from using the wallmote as a secure device -- "in order to take full advantage of all functionality the WallMote Quad..."

But, aside from having button devices and registering button presses, I'm not sure what else adds up to "all functionality."

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Comment

Final follow up

After upgrading the wallmotes to 1.6 (not trivial, if you ask me) and then the z-wave plug in to the beta version, they were added successfully as non-secure devices.

The wallmotes never end up blinking green after adding though (I thought it said it would in the manual) but after the amber led stops blinking the device is good to go.

I was confused at first because I only saw four buttons on the UI and tried to tie events to them but it wasn't clear how to do that. i.e. "When a device's value becomes... wallmote button 1... an exact value" but what values to use? Simple integers didn't work.

I'm glad I stumbled upon the "central scene wallmote" device as that's where all the magic happens. When selecting that device in an event all the options pop up (button 1 pressed, button 1 long pressed, etc.)

I wonder if the "swipe up to brighten and swipe down to dim" options will appear in a future driver update?

Thanks again for everyone's help and I can finally put these to use.

p.s. One nice thought, if it's at all possible, would be the ability to control the LED on/off/color status. That would be really, really cool as an indicator of something and also functioning as a scene controller.

Comment

Note, the device is a battery device so its normally sleeping, so there is no way for HS to send any commands to it to set the LED. They did not design it to accept commands, its only a transmitter.

After upgrading the wallmotes to 1.6 (not trivial, if you ask me) and then the z-wave plug in to the beta version, they were added successfully as non-secure devices.

The wallmotes never end up blinking green after adding though (I thought it said it would in the manual) but after the amber led stops blinking the device is good to go.

I was confused at first because I only saw four buttons on the UI and tried to tie events to them but it wasn't clear how to do that. i.e. "When a device's value becomes... wallmote button 1... an exact value" but what values to use? Simple integers didn't work.

I'm glad I stumbled upon the "central scene wallmote" device as that's where all the magic happens. When selecting that device in an event all the options pop up (button 1 pressed, button 1 long pressed, etc.)

I wonder if the "swipe up to brighten and swipe down to dim" options will appear in a future driver update?

Thanks again for everyone's help and I can finally put these to use.

p.s. One nice thought, if it's at all possible, would be the ability to control the LED on/off/color status. That would be really, really cool as an indicator of something and also functioning as a scene controller.

Comment

I got mine a few days ago but it's really really buggy.

Accessing the z-wave setting tab in HS keeps locking up the device and the only way to get it working again is to connect it to usb. And if it's working, it is only for a few hours (locking up or because of a power drain?), and again only comes to live after connecting it to usb.

Key response is also a hit or mis. My configurated response is the light and vibration with a key press but sometimes I only get the light.
                      When this happends the command is not send to HS.

Oh and the z-wave plugin is also very buggy.
                      Most of the time when including/excluding/change device setting the plugin stops working (question mark or red error icon).
                      Need to restart the plugin to get it back to work.

Wallmote Quad EU Firmware 1.5
                      Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.110

Comment

Make sure you have the device on USB when attempting to add/remove or change any settings on it. When on USB it will stay awake so you can work with it. When on batteries, it keeps going to sleep which causes HS to keep timing out on sends and if those buffer up, it will lock up the plugin.

In the limited time I tried using the device, I did see that touch recognition was hit or miss. That part does not have anything to do with HS.

Originally posted by ddg View Post
                        I got mine a few days ago but it's really really buggy.

Accessing the z-wave setting tab in HS keeps locking up the device and the only way to get it working again is to connect it to usb. And if it's working, it is only for a few hours (locking up or because of a power drain?), and again only comes to live after connecting it to usb.

Key response is also a hit or mis. My configurated response is the light and vibration with a key press but sometimes I only get the light.
                        When this happends the command is not send to HS.

Oh and the z-wave plugin is also very buggy.
                        Most of the time when including/excluding/change device setting the plugin stops working (question mark or red error icon).
                        Need to restart the plugin to get it back to work.

Wallmote Quad EU Firmware 1.5
                        Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.110

Comment

Couple of ideas...

I recommend upgrading the firmware to 1.6 as it pairs much easier with HS and seems to work better overall. You'll need to open a support ticket with Aeotec and they'll provide you with a link to the software. But for me, I had to use a USB z-wave stick on my Windows laptop to do the upgrade. There might be other ways to do the upgrade but that process worked for me.

Also, once you add the device you'll need to find the central scene controller as that's the ONLY device you'll use in events. It has events like "button 1 pressed" and "button 3 long press", etc.

Finally, when you hold the button on the back for about 3 seconds the unit beeps and a yellow led will flash. The unit is awake and will stay that way for about 5 minutes, maybe longer, and you can use that time to change parameters, etc.

Note: I had bad luck using them as touch on/off controllers until I changed parameter 3 to 0 which disables the "slide option to dim" touch panel feature. I noticed the controllers sometimes didn't work for my wife and when I watched she was quickly sliding her finger down on the glass instead of just pressing in place. Once I disabled the dimmer option the wallmotes work a lot better and are more responsive.

Here's what I have for my devices & plugin:

Wallmote - Firmware: 1.6 Hardware: 130
                          Z-wave plugin - 3.0.1.108 (note that this is a beta version that includes the wallmote controller compatibility)

I was hesitant to install a beta driver but it works fine with my whole system (about 60 devices).

Comment

[QUOTE=dmcentire;1298919]After upgrading the wallmotes to 1.6 (not trivial, if you ask me) and then the z-wave plug in to the beta version, they were added successfully as non-secure devices.
                            [...]
                            [QUOTE]

Hi,
                            Could you share how did you manage to upgrade wallmotes firmware?
                            I was searching aeotec website (and their zendesk help website) for newer firmware and I culdn't find anything.

Comment

WOW I don't recommend these to anyone!

So after using these two units for about 30+ days (unfortunately past my 30 day return window - darn it) I have to say these are the most unreliable remotes I've used.

Most of the time they start blinking blue and don't work. Here's a link to the video (as requested by the manufacturer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6znLVPGmno

They do this about half the time, making them really unusable. We don't rely on them any more so we end up not really using them.

If anyone has had better success with them and wants to make me an offer for two of them, please let me know.

At this point stick with the MiniMotes as they are 100% more reliable than these are.

Comment

Similar story here. I have upgraded WallMote to firmware 1.6.

Huge battery drain has stopped (2 days from 100% to dead battery). Now it is just a big battery drain (5 days from 100% to 60%).

However, in my case remotes acts like everything is ok (single blue blink and haptic feedback [beep is disbled] after pressing a button), but the status of central scene and each button child node updates only 70% of time.
                                There are times when everything works just like it supposed to, and other times when I must press the same button 2 to 8 times till it is registered in Homeseer.

There seems to be no distinct condition making it that way. Sometimes it just works, other times the only thing it does is driving WAF level very low.
                                In current state avoid this remote.

Comment

Working...
                                X