Control over LAN without allowing receiver to use Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if anyone has had to deal with this but...

I have a satellite internet connection that meters my use. Since connecting
    my new DirecTV, my use has gone through the roof.

I have no need for it to connect to the internet. Is there a setting on my receiver that will do this?

Thanks
    Don

Any ideas?
    Don

Comment

I don't know of any way within the receivers to restrict DirecTV from talking to the Internet if it is connected to the LAN. There might be a way within your router to restrict Internet access on an IP or MAC basis. Here is one example. You can block it for specific times as in the example or block it for all times. I don't know if DirecTV will complain if it is connected to a network without Internet access. That thread seems to indicate it will not.

You can also call DirecTV technical assistance and let them know you are on a metered connection. Maybe there is a setting that can limit the chatter.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks Randy; will investigate your suggestions.
        Don

Comment

Yep, I agree with randy, network equipment is the way to go. parental controls on soho routers could be used to stop all Internet access. If you get into entry level enterprise equipment you could also do this, but there is a good amount of knowledge needed to do this.

On the cheap, you could see if it is possible to statically assign an IP address to the DVRs. If this is possible you could opt to not assign a Default Gateway to the DVR. This would mean that the DVR has no way to send packets outside of the local LAN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am also on satellite internet (Excede) so I get your problem. I have Dish for TV. On my DVR, it is not connected to my local lan ethernet. Also, it has not been configured with my wifi SSID or PASSWD so it can't connect via wifi. The Dish system uses zero of my internet monthly data.

As a result, I can't do any On Demand searching or viewing. I have a 1TB DVR so I really don't need On Demand. I always have things to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
              I am also on satellite internet (Excede) so I get your problem. I have Dish for TV. On my DVR, it is not connected to my local lan ethernet. Also, it has not been configured with my wifi SSID or PASSWD so it can't connect via wifi. The Dish system uses zero of my internet monthly data.

As a result, I can't do any On Demand searching or viewing. I have a 1TB DVR so I really don't need On Demand. I always have things to watch.
              This would also work with DirecTV, but this thread is in a forum for a DirecTV plug-in which would be rendered inoperative if the receivers aren't connected to the LAN. On a Genie, there is a single point of network connection that could just be unplugged. This is also true of the previous generation SWiM system. Before that each receiver had a connection.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Appreciate all the input. I've slowed the usage down somewhat while still being able to control the unit by disabling and reenabling the internet connection. When the unit asks to reconnect to the internet, I ignore the request.

By no means a happy solution, but my router is closed to me, so it's the best I can do. Hughes is suppose to be upgrading my service today, and I will see what's possible with the new stuff.
                Don

Comment

I just reread this thread, and must have missed this. I did assign the receiver a static IP. <bang in the head>. I'll try this as soon as the dust settles around here. Great idea.

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                  On the cheap, you could see if it is possible to statically assign an IP address to the DVRs. If this is possible you could opt to not assign a Default Gateway to the DVR.
                  Don

Comment

Working...
                  X