X10 or HS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 or HS3?

I have continued to keep HS2 running to have a stable X10 environment. I have invested far too much in X10 over the years to simply abandon it. I would love to take advantage of HS3 and many of the new features, but have, and will continue to resist the move to HS3 without a stable X10 interface. I have read many posts in this forum about the problems experienced with the TI103, CM11 and CM15. Has anyone successfully made the move to HS3 and maintained a stable and robust X10 environment? I continue to be amazed by the short-sightedness of HomeSeer in their stubborn refusal to provide a robust X10 interface option for so many of the loyal customers that helped them grow this product from its humble beginnings.

I've been using the CM11 interface with HS3 for a few years and its been very reliable for me. I don't have a lot of devices, and don't have anything with extended codes but anything I use works all the time. I use more x10 during the holiday season and no issues for that either. YMMV.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks Al. I've also seen mention of the XTB-232 as a solid replacement for the CM11. Any comments on how well this works with HomeSeer?

Comment

Originally posted by MrX10 View Post
        Thanks Al. I've also seen mention of the XTB-232 as a solid replacement for the CM11. Any comments on how well this works with HomeSeer?
        As far as I know it works well.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Though I'm a newbie and certainly not a nerd, I've had X10 for years and just jumped into zwave and a Zee S2. After about three weeks, I just pulled the CM15A out the Zee and put it back to work on my mini PC with the Active Home Pro software.

Three times in the last two days the Zee said it couldn't find the CM15A. A restart of the Zee would find the CM15A right away and it would continue to function for a few hours, then boom!

It's almost like planned obsolescence.

Comment

Originally posted by MrX10 View Post
            I also made the move to HS3. I have an extensive X10 installation and it is working well. I use the XTB-232 as my power line interface. It is definitely an improvement over the anemic signal generated by the CM11A. In my experience, the major shortcoming of PLC X10 is the slow signal and lack of confirmation, not the implementation in HS.

Mark Fisher has posted several beta releases of the X10 plug-in to address some lingering technical problems, but from my perspective, X10 works quite well in HS3, even with the original released plug-in version. I'd avoid the CM15A interface, however. I don't think that plug-in performs as well as the one for CM11 and TI-103.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I too made the switch carrying my TI103 over to HS3. For me, it works well. There were some growing pains, but all in all I'm satisfied with X-10 on HS3. Saying that, I do have XTB-232 which I only used as test in HS2 available for sale. The TI103 works well enough for me to not bother changing it out.

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

X10 or HS3?

I also use the TI103 with HS3. It works the same for me as it did with HS2.

I will continue to use x10. I think the x10 wireless motion sensors and x10 door/window sensors work as well or better than z-wave. And they are half the price.

Steve Q

Addendum: Its ironic that a lot of the newer HA devices are using hubs that send radio signals to their connected devices. This is essentially the same technology that X10 wireless started back in the 70s. Yes, the newer devices are better, but there are still many many applications where the old stuff works just fine.

I think the future of home automation will continue to rely on a mix of multiple technologies. It is extremely unlikely that only one technology will emerge as the winner. As a home controller, HS3 with plugins for these technologies, is the most likely system to remain viable for years to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Steve Q; January 18, 2017, 10:35 AM.
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

TI103 under HS3 works fine for me.

tenholde
                  tenholde

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I'm going to give this a shot with the XTB-232.

Comment

XTB-232 and others

I did a fresh build of HS3 and it worked well with all three interfaces: CM11a, TI103 and XTB-232.

For the TI103 there is a configuration parameter that needs to be set to the default 300 (ms). Apparently the TI103 buffers incoming X10 commands. The plugin needs to periodically poll the TI103 to get the stored commands. That means with the TI103 your X10 response times will be no better than 1/3 of a second and more likely at least 2/3 of a second for a round trip - controller to HS3 and HS3 to device.

The XTB-232 for me works great and is a like replacement for the CM11a. The XTB-232 does not have the ability to do stand-alone schedules like the CM11a but we don't use that functionality in HS anyway.

I am running the 3.0.0.40 of the X10 plugin.

I have several of Jeff Volpe's XTB devices: XTB-232, the XTB-IIR whole house X10 repeater and two XTB-ANR active noise reducers.

I purchased several LED Tube Fluorescent replacements and they were spewing out noise on the power line and jamming all X10 traffic. I had to install XPPF filters on each fixture. After installing the two XTB-ANR active noise reducers my system worked fine even with the XPPF filters removed from the LED lamps.

Jeff makes great stuff! http://jvde.us

-Rick
                      Last edited by Archcantor; March 4, 2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Archcantor View Post
                        I have several of Jeff Volpe's XTB devices: XTB-232, the XTB-IIR whole house X10 repeater and two XTB-ANR active noise reducers. Jeff makes great stuff! http://jvde.us
                        Welcome to the HS Board.
                        I concur 100% on your assessment of Jeff Volp's products.
                        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Here still utilize Jeff's original XTB with my CM11A(s) and went to using the XTB-IIR for my Leviton OmniPro panel and secondary TW-523.

Just yesterday went to testing with the old Ocelot / TW523 combo and notice better response speeds with X10 over the CM11A connected to HS3.

That said I only continue to utilize X10 modules for Christmas lighting. Very fast to set up.

I also utilize wireless palm pads and other wireless X10 devices here with no issues.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Archcantor View Post
                            For the TI103 there is a configuration parameter that needs to be set to the default 300 (ms). Apparently the TI103 buffers incoming X10 commands. The plugin needs to periodically poll the TI103 to get the stored commands. That means with the TI103 your X10 response times will be no better than 1/3 of a second and more likely at least 2/3 of a second for a round trip - controller to HS3 and HS3 to device.
                            Just wanted to point out that X10 is a VERY SLOW protocol. Transmitting just an address (like B1) on the power line takes 0.42 seconds, and sending a full address-command, such as B1 BON, takes 0.83 seconds! This is the case for ALL X10 devices and it does not matter which interface you use (Ti103, CM11a, CM15a, XTB, etc.) the response times will never be better than this.

So setting the polling interval in the plugin for the Ti103 to 300 (0.300 seconds) means that the plugin will ask the Ti if it has received anything more frequently than the X10 protocol can send/receive data over the power line.

Also note that in the current beta versions of the X10 plugin (link to X10 plugin Betas), the polling interval is now defaulted to 300 rather than the previous default of 4000. If you are using a Ti103 please check this parameter to be sure it is set to 300.
                            Best regards,
                            -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                            Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
                            X