Drying out here in Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying out here in Houston

Came thru OK, with no issues, can't say the same for all our neighbors , for miles and miles I should add, gonna be a long cleanup. I watched the national news for the first time in days and from I see they are keeping y'all worried. What I also noticed was the coverage of "neighbors helping neighbors" that part they are getting spot on, It's just how we do things down here!
    Thanx for everyone's prayers and support.

John

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
    Came thru OK, with no issues, can't say the same for all our neighbors , for miles and miles I should add, gonna be a long cleanup. I watched the national news for the first time in days and from I see they are keeping y'all worried. What I also noticed was the coverage of "neighbors helping neighbors" that part they are getting spot on, It's just how we do things down here!

John
    I have a friend who is here in Colorado for work, but his house in The Woodlands had 6-1/2 feet of water in it - and that was Monday. I haven't heard from him since then. He is one of the 80% without flood insurance and was trying to find living arrangements for his wife who is still living in Houston and needs to get back to work. She evacuated to Waxahachie just before the storm hit and now has joined him in Colorado. They have no idea what they are going to find when they can get back in.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Water is not your friend... Thoughts and prayers with you all!
      Cheers,
      Bob
      Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

I cannot even image what the residents of Texas and Louisiana are going through... we have heard 36 to 50 plus inches of rain, those numbers are of biblical proportions. It is just hard to comprehend that amount of rain pouring from the sky...

I live in White House, TN which is roughly 30 miles north of Nashville. We had a storm in 2010 that put down roughly 10 to 14 inches of rain in just under 36 hours. The Cumberland river flows through Nashville and the flood stage is 40 feet, the river crested at almost 52 feet. It was just crazy, the damage, devastation and death that this amount of rain could cause. Looks like the remnants of Harvey has made it to Tennessee, it is pouring outside now... hopefully the rain has stopped for a while in Texas and Louisiana.

What I remember most about the flood in 2010 was the outpouring of help. It was great to be a part of the effort and to be able to help and watch people come together for one goal in mind... to help other people in need. It is amazing what can be done in the face of destruction when people come together and work for a common goal.

Good luck!
        Billy

Comment

I feel really sorry for the folks down in Houston (Texas). We have had an extremely wet spring and summer. A lot of folks on the Ontario/Quebec boarder lost their homes to flooding this spring. It was quite something to see all the water and boats in the streets. Water levels only reached the top of mailboxes (as seen on TV)...

We had a couple of days here where it rained hard all day and I had wondered when it was going to end. However, certainly small potatoes compared to what is going on south of the boarder.

I wondered about insurance and the claim process. It just seems that having insurance isn't like having assurance. You just pay, they take your money then flip you the bird when you make a claim...

God help all those people affected by this.

Robert:
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
            I feel really sorry for the folks down in Houston (Texas). We have had an extremely wet spring and summer. A lot of folks on the Ontario/Quebec boarder lost their homes to flooding this spring. It was quite something to see all the water and boats in the streets. Water levels only reached the top of mailboxes (as seen on TV)...

We had a couple of days here where it rained hard all day and I had wondered when it was going to end. However, certainly small potatoes compared to what is going on south of the boarder.

I wondered about insurance and the claim process. It just seems that having insurance isn't like having assurance. You just pay, they take your money then flip you the bird when you make a claim...

God help all those people affected by this.

Robert:
            In the US home flood coverage is not provided by your normal casualty insurance. It is a separate coverage through the government (NFIP), part of FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency). It is reported approximately 80% of the affected homes do not have flood coverage. Car insurance will usually cover flood, but homes in the US are a separate animal.

On top of that, according to what is reported, our National Flood Insurance Program is in debt and has only around $2 billion in reserve. It is currently authorized to borrow up to about another $6 billion. With the total damage expected to top $1 trillion, it is likely NFIP is going to need some help.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Randy, I'd venture to say that number without flood insurance is less than that even, been here 50 years and some of these neighborhoods have never seen water, then again Houston is not the same as it was 10-20 years ago.
              We are building in places that originally were gonna be part of the levy system but who knows why! I feel for your friend up in the Woodlands, we have a Pool Hall there on Sawdust Road but stayed dry some how, farther back off I-45 its really horrible.
              For some simple perspective imagine a big star with the Woodlands at the top, then you have Baytown and Beaumont on the right tip, and Galveston on the lower right tip, and Katy on the left tip, with Sugar Land, where I am right next to the Brazos River, on the lower left tip, each of these tips is at least 20 miles apart and maybe 50 miles across the star, ALL flooded somewhat with some just with unheard of heights. Now yes some of these areas always flood "separately I might add" and some have never, but for it all to go under, we were caught with our pants down literally. There is really no part of greater Houston that did not get affected by this, some places are just gonna take a long time, if ever, to get back to how they were. I was really lucky to not have any problems, other than stir crazy kids.
              I know we have some other members around the Houston area, let us know whats what.
              John

Comment

Thoughts and Prayers with you Jon and all there.

Have worked in The Woodlands, Houston, Beaumont and Tyler there.

Friendliest folks I have ever worked with.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

My mom is in The Woodlands and managed to stay dry. Water right up to her doorstep, but didn't come in. Lots of my friends in the area have major flooding. I'm down near Galveston in Bayou Vista and we stayed dry. Lots of my neighbors took their boats to Dickinson (next town over) for rescue operations.

John, if your pool hall on Sawdust is the one I'm thinking of, between me, my brother, and my sister we've spent quite a bit of time there. Nice place!
                  HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                  Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                  Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                  Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I don't know what this administration may end up doing, but this issue of flood insurance got VERY ugly in 2012. In that year, congress pushed through legislation that would remove the Federal subsidies from flood insurance. Look up The Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012. The issue was later changed by The Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014.

Hurricane Sandy victims saw beachfront property insurance premiums go upward as high as $35,000 per year. If you reside anywhere that even *might* be subject to flood, this would be a good thing to study up on.....

https://www.fema.gov/flood-insurance-reform-law
                    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                    Home Assistant 2024.3
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Same thing happened in Florida.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post

John
                        Glad to hear you're OK. Going to be flying down on one of our jump teams Tuesday to work either in the Houston Area or Louisiana. Not sure yet, probably won't know until Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                        X