Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect over CAT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Over-R...8AAOSw5ZBWH8wu
    I have tried CAT6, CAT5E, Shielded and Unshielded cable.

Thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by smokeycoles; March 25, 2017, 07:02 AM.

I am wondering if these are USB 1.1, I have ordered another 2.0 StarTech Converter.

Comment

A while back when playing with the Mimo USB monitor went to using active USB extenders which worked fine.

The above said if you could run an active USB extender and power the kinect locally that would work.

Googling others have cut an active USB extender cable and used cat5e between the cut ends.

Checking out Amazon and it seems that folks are using these extenders with good luck.

AV Access USB 2.0 Extender 165ft over Cat5e/6, 4 USB2.0 port USB Extenders, Plug and Play,No Driver, Mounting Ear, for PC PS3 Conference,Two Web Camera Work Synchronous
      Attached Files
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete

I will give those a try.

Comment

Yeah here over the years have not had any issues extending RS-232 via catXX but always have had issues trying to extend USB over Cat5XX/Cat6XX.

My only Kinect experiences have been related to large touchscreen implementations for Homeseer plugins. I purchased a few Kinects / touchscreens for this purpose and only have tested one over the last couple of years. I was never much of a gamer. That said I did set up my son's bedroom with this stuff but it was all local to the television in one cabinet or area in his bedroom at the time.

Early Cat5/Cat6 USB extenders were ridiculously expensive for me. Well same as HDMI over Cat5/Cat6 extenders. I didn't want to beta test this stuff an it wasn't worth the expense for me even though I ran multiple catxx to the television sets. Today there is only the two of us in the home (wife and I) and more televisions than needed (so they are never really used much).
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just wanted to feedback, that this works well with the USB 2.0.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X