DLNA Manager Feature request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DLNA Manager Feature request

Use this thread to ask for features or comment on them. Find the latest help file here as well
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dcorsus; October 26, 2013, 05:31 PM.

Dirk

Not sure if this is driving off the road of your intentions for this or not.

One thing I had under xp for a number of years was an app called Cidero. It would sync multiple upnp players to a single unpnp source creatubg what is now called party mode. It wasn't perfect but it worked.

My desire for this functionality would be the ability to pick players, assign them to a source and pickup on whatever its playing.
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
      One thing I had under xp for a number of years was an app called Cidero. It would sync multiple upnp players to a single unpnp source creatubg what is now called party mode. It wasn't perfect but it worked.

My desire for this functionality would be the ability to pick players, assign them to a source and pickup on whatever its playing.
      Hi Paul, interesting proposal but that would not be the intent and actually not sure possible unless it gets built into the Server itself (think some form of multicasting) that then gets supported by the Renderers. The challenges one has in any form of "party mode" is that, unless the HW/Sw has specific support for it, it won't work because every device has a different latency from packet receipt to audio/video output. In fact, most will implement a buffering scheme which is somewhat correlated to quality of the network (think BW, jitter) between source and sink and therefore synching the actual output between devices, let alone between devices of different vendors is quite a challenge unless there is some standard protocol governing that. A quick Google search on Cidero seems to suggest that Cidero is a server/renderer combination that knows how to do "synced multicast" between the Cidero aps (??). I for sure can see an app like that, but that's not the intent of this plugin, it should actually be able to manage the app if it is UPNP compliant

Dirk

Comment

Fair enough, and thanks for considering it.
        Paul

Comment

Not sure if it is part of the DLNA specification or not, but it would be great to have an option to switch devices on/off (in/out of sleep mode).

General control of devices, such as changing channels/inputs/volume on TVs etc. woudl also be great if that is part of the DLNA standards?
          Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
            Not sure if it is part of the DLNA specification or not, but it would be great to have an option to switch devices on/off (in/out of sleep mode).
            Unfortunately, it won't. It is very vendor specific and so far none of the devices I've worked with has implemented an extension to turn the device on/off. In fact, in order to talk to it, it has to be on, at least it's Ethernet port and DLNA app need to be live. My Onkyo AV receiver actually can be set to remain in "listening" mode when you turn it off. My WD-TV live same, my Samsung TV not. What is going to be a challenge is how to kick these devices out of their "sleep" mode. As I wrote, there are no specific commands but I have the suspicion they come out of sleep mode if you tell them to play something, at least that's what I hope they are going to do. Haven't had the time to play around with that yet. Most likely this plugin will have some capability to send a trigger to another plugin that was developed to manage the renderer specifically, which in most cases will be through IR or Serial port, it seems that's how most of these devices still work today, I hope in the future vendors will make extension to have them turned on/off via UPnP.

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
            General control of devices, such as changing channels/inputs/volume on TVs etc. woudl also be great if that is part of the DLNA standards?
            Also here it was very disappointing to find that the devices ONLY implement the standard DLNA functions which is music/video/pictures, no device specific functions such as channel changes, on/off, input selection, you'll have to "encourage" another designer to write one for HS. The volume control is a bit hit and miss. For my Onkyo I can control it at any time, my Samsung TV only when it is doing something that the plugin told it to do. SO if you stream audio/video to it, it will allow volume control, if you are watching a regular TV channel it won't.

There is a reason why I love Sonos so much, it allows everything through its UPnP interface but it is all through proprietary extensions and very device specific, so without owning the device, there is zero chance to create support for it in a plug-in.

Sorry for all the bad news, when I began this project a number of weeks ago, it all started with the dreams to 100% control my samsung TV and I quickly realized that vendors don't support a lot via their UPnP interface, just the basic stuff so they can claim DLNA compliance. If you are looking for something to control your Samsung TV (C or D-series), download it here (http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=53). What I came to like is that you can pick any of your Servers as a source and start playing some content on any of your DLNA devices (provided it is power on and in some case in the right input mode), including a picture show.

Cheers,

Dirk

Comment

Dirk,
              I think you are going in the right direction.
              Let your plugin control where the files come from and where they go.

The control of the playback device should be separate plugins.
              I would rather have a specific plugin like the PioneerReceivers plugin to control the Receiver than to have an ever growing plugin that tries to control every TV, Blu-Ray, AV Receiver, Sat TV, etc that has DLNA rendering built in.

As to being able to control other plugins, I am currently doing that in my HSTV plugin so if you would like to discuss it sometime, let me know.
              I have it setup to where I don't have to make any changes to the HSTV plugin to add new plugins and functions.
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone
              My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
              Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
                The control of the playback device should be separate plugins.
                I would rather have a specific plugin like the PioneerReceivers plugin to control the Receiver than to have an ever growing plugin that tries to control every TV, Blu-Ray, AV Receiver, Sat TV, etc that has DLNA rendering built in.
                Thanks Jeff, my view as well, not sure everybody will agree

As to being able to control other plugins, I am currently doing that in my HSTV plugin so if you would like to discuss it sometime, let me know.
                I have it setup to where I don't have to make any changes to the HSTV plugin to add new plugins and functions.
                May have to take you up on that at one point in time, still far away from prime time. Haven't coded up the configuration settings and trigger/actions although the plugin should already be generating the right triggers

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
                  Thanks Jeff, my view as well, not sure everybody will agree

May have to take you up on that at one point in time, still far away from prime time. Haven't coded up the configuration settings and trigger/actions although the plugin should already be generating the right triggers

Dirk
                  Actually, when you think about it, if you can call another plugin to control a device, you, technically, are controlling the device.

Last week I finally got around to digging in and learning how to add actions to plugins.

Are you going to expose some functions as public so they can be called from a script? hs.plugin("DLNA").function(parms, etc)
                  That will make it easier for me to add your plugin to the ones I can control with HSTV.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone
                  My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                  Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Not a request just posting a log.

There seems to be lots or red in the log attached, this was the 1st startup after installing.. does it look right?

TrOjAn
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post

There seems to be lots or red in the log attached, this was the 1st startup after installing.. does it look right?

TrOjAn
                      Same problem as Mr Happy, I think there are no devices on your LAN that are UPNP enabled. Make sure they are powered up when you activate the Plug-in so they can be discovered .... if that's not the case, then there is some bug. Also read the other postings, make sure SSDP and UPNP services are turned on. What OS are you running this on?

Dirk

Comment

Are you going to expose some functions as public so they can be called from a script? hs.plugin("DLNA").function(parms, etc)
                        That will make it easier for me to add your plugin to the ones I can control with HSTV.
                        Absolutely. I'll publish the APIs once I get to writing the help doc.
                        Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post

TrOjAn
                          Posted new Beta (v.06) which should take care of these errors. Thanks for reporting them.

Dirk

Comment

Dirk,

I don't know if it is a limitation of the specification, but maybe you can answer this. I love photography and miss on dlna devices a function to randomly show pictures from folders. All I can find is a radom wander in te folder you selected, not the folders under it.

Is it possible with DLNA, and is it possible to add this in your plugin? That would be a great addon for me

Wim
                            -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
                              Dirk,

I don't know if it is a limitation of the specification, but maybe you can answer this. I love photography and miss on dlna devices a function to randomly show pictures from folders. All I can find is a radom wander in te folder you selected, not the folders under it.

Is it possible with DLNA, and is it possible to add this in your plugin? That would be a great addon for me

Wim
                              Hi Wim,

I see 2 questions here. Can devices that use DLNA to discover content play things at random? They could. It has nothing to do with the DLNA protocol, it is limited by the effort they put in this to support a proper queue that can be managed. I believe a lot of device indeed don't allow you to create queues.

Your second question is whether the plugin can do. So the plugin has a queue concept, so you can drag anything you want into the queue, save the queues under different names and then randomly play anything from queue. The question that wasn't asked, is can this plugin control your device. I have yet to come across a picture frame that has a full implementation to be controlled from a DLNA control point. I saw some postings here but nobody responded to my questions whether it actually worked.

If you were to stream something to a flat screen TV/Monitor, I can highly recommend the Sony Media Player (100$ range) which nicely shows the pictures and it has additional benefit that you can pre-load the next item which makes for great transition from one picture (or music or video) to the next. Sure there are plenty of other devices out there that support it but I don't think there is any way to find out unless you buy them or people start posting their experiences here.

Hope this helps

Dirk

Comment

Working...
                              X