Events, Alexa, and Last Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Events, Alexa, and Last Level

If I ask Alexa to turn off my lamp, it changes from 254 to Off.
    If I ask it to turn on my lamp, Off to 254.
    All is well.

If an HS event triggers that turns off the lamp, 254 to Off.
    If I then ask Alexa to turn on my lamp, Off to 1.
    I then must say "Alexa set lamp to 100%".
    This only happens after the lamp is shut off by an HS event.

Process of elimination:
    -It can't be Alexa, it's just asking the bulb to come on at last level.
    -Hue bridge thinks the last level it was set at was 1 when it is shut off by an HS event. (No tricks in the event, just set device off.)
    -Hue bridge thinks the last level it was set at was 254 when it is shut off by Alexa.

So either:
    a. HS is doing this and you have no control over it, or
    b. There is maybe an opportunity to stop this?

Since Alexa can turn the bulb all the way off and have last level be remembered as 254, it is possible to do. It can also remember any other dimmed level.

Since your plugin is the code talking to the Hue Bridge, I'm hoping this is something you control and might be able to change.

Sleeve,

The Philips bridge uses a 0.4 second transition when switching lights off. After that the bridge will internally report the brightness of a light being 1. That is also what the plugin gets as report.

One way to circumvent this is setting the transition time in the configuration page of the plugin to 0. this should prevent the bridge reporting something different than the last brightness level?

Thanks,

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Thanks, Wim.

Unfortunately, this doesn't solve Alexa's confusion. The lights do turn on and off in a blink as I would expect. However, turning a light off from HomeSeer then asking Alexa to turn it on sets the light to 1. Given the choice, I'll take the gradual transitions and teach Alexa math to make my lights work.

Comment

Bringing this back to life. I'm still thoroughly stumped why HS Jowihue device off events set Last Level to 1 yet Alexa off commands leave last level what it was.

Again:
        - turn on with Alexa, 100%. Off with Alexa, and back on with Alexa, 100%.
        - turn on with Alexa, 100%. Off with event, and back on with Alexa, 1%.

Comment

sleeve,

Sorry, Alexa apperantly keeps its own table of last level. When Alexa does not know last level - because it did not perform the off itself- it uses the real level reported by the bridge. Cannot blame the plugin for this? The plugin is setting the light to off, the Hue bridge chooses to report dim level 1....

- turn on with Alexa, 100%. Off with Alexa, and back on with Alexa, 100%.
          - turn on with Alexa, 100%. Off with event, and back on with Alexa, 1%. ==== Alexa did not save last level as it did not perform off
          Last edited by w.vuyk; October 26, 2017, 04:54 AM.
          -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Working...
          X