HS3 and X10 nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    A couple of days ago noticed that Digi has upgraded it's driver such that it updates the firmware on the Edgeport when it loads the new drivers. I do not recall now if you are using the Digi Edgeport.
    Yes still using the Digi Edgeport the USB multiport failed and although still there it has been replaced with a cheapo.

Thanks for post will attempt upgrade and see how much damage I can do. And as always thanks for you support.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Note here the older Digi Edgeport drivers and older firmware did work. I am amazed though that Digi now included an automatic firmware update to the Digi.

You want to see the console access relating to watching it load the X10 driver such that it would be recommended while testing to keep the developer mode on.

As it also enables you to view debug.

Debug / development mode is a diagnostic mode which is required right now in your situation.

The basic piece of the plugin is the hardware serial port connectivity. Without this hardware connectivity piece rest of the plugin pieces will not work.

The plugin does not do an automatic plug n play search for the correct serial port (as all serial / some USB connected plugins on Wintel or Linux).

Homeseer only sees the port. The Digi Edgeport is configured at the Hardware / OS level of you box (Digi Edgeport Drivers). It is easier than a direct serial port as the serial ports are defined by the Digi driver and will always match up with the numbers written on the Digi Box.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Note here the older Digi Edgeport drivers and older firmware did work. I am amazed though that Digi now included an automatic firmware update to the Digi.

You want to see the console access relating to watching it load the X10 driver such that it would be recommended while testing to keep the developer mode on.

As it also enables you to view debug.

Debug / development mode is a diagnostic mode which is required right now in your situation.

The basic piece of the plugin is the hardware serial port connectivity. Without this hardware connectivity piece rest of the plugin pieces will not work.

The plugin does not do an automatic plug n play search for the correct serial port (as all serial / some USB connected plugins on Wintel or Linux).

Homeseer only sees the port. The Digi Edgeport is configured at the Hardware / OS level of you box (Digi Edgeport Drivers). It is easier than a direct serial port as the serial ports are defined by the Digi driver and will always match up with the numbers written on the Digi Box.
        Hi Pete,

Tried upgrade as per your previos post, do not think it worked. email sent.
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I re updated and see the correct firmware and drivers. Only thing when i went to testing got disconnected from Teamviewer.

Next steps though will be to start homeseer and disable all of the drivers for a bit...

Then manually enable the x10 driver from a terminal window to see what is going on.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

OK so logged on to Gordon's PC via Teamviewer. The connection was a bit slow.

Noticed that all console windows are showing a waiting to initialize even though the plugins are loading correctly.

[ATTACH]60470[/ATTACH]

Enabled the x10 plugin and it says OK and no errors are seen.

[ATTACH]60471[/ATTACH]

Turned on and off the bathroom fan and it looks good and fast from across the big pond. No errors. No timeouts seen from here.

[ATTACH]60472[/ATTACH]

I dunno; maybe it was the updated Digi Driver?

Maybe it was related to shutting off the console window?

Note that on Linux I see the capi stuff in the logs.

Bathroom FAN ON

Apr-04 18:42:43 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 55. Seconds to send: 0.4375
            Apr-04 18:42:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Checksum OK, sending 0x00 to tell CM11a to transmit the data.
            Apr-04 18:42:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got checksum: D8
            Apr-04 18:42:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending: 6 D2 Size: 2
            Apr-04 18:42:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 55. Seconds to send: 0.890625
            Apr-04 18:42:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Checksum OK, sending 0x00 to tell CM11a to transmit the data.
            Apr-04 18:42:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending: 4 D4 Size: 2

Bathroom FAN OFF

Apr-04 18:49:43 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 55. Seconds to send: 0.046875
            Apr-04 18:49:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Checksum OK, sending 0x00 to tell CM11a to transmit the data.
            Apr-04 18:49:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got checksum: D9
            Apr-04 18:49:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending: 6 D3 Size: 2
            Apr-04 18:49:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 55. Seconds to send: 0.5
            Apr-04 18:49:41 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Checksum OK, sending 0x00 to tell CM11a to transmit the data.
            Apr-04 18:49:41 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got checksum: D8
            Apr-04 18:49:41 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending: 4 D4 Size: 2

Note that I shut off just about every plugin except for the X10 one (and HS Touch).
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

OK so logged on to Gordon's PC via Teamviewer. The connection was a bit slow.

Noticed that all console windows are showing a waiting to initialize even though the plugins are loading correctly.

[ATTACH]60470[/ATTACH]

Enabled the x10 plugin and it says OK and no errors are seen.

[ATTACH]60471[/ATTACH]

Turned on and off the bathroom fan and it looks good and fast from across the big pond. No errors. No timeouts seen from here.

[ATTACH]60472[/ATTACH]

I dunno; maybe it was the updated Digi Driver?

Maybe it was related to shutting off the console window?

Note that on Linux I see the capi stuff in the logs.

Bathroom FAN ON

Apr-04 18:42:43 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 55. Seconds to send: 0.4375
              Apr-04 18:42:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending: 6 D2 Size: 2
              Apr-04 18:42:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 55. Seconds to send: 0.890625
              Apr-04 18:42:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending: 4 D4 Size: 2

Bathroom FAN OFF

Apr-04 18:49:43 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 55. Seconds to send: 0.046875
              Apr-04 18:49:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Checksum OK, sending 0x00 to tell CM11a to transmit the data.
              Apr-04 18:49:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got checksum: D9
              Apr-04 18:49:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending: 6 D3 Size: 2
              Apr-04 18:49:42 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got ack of: 55. Seconds to send: 0.5
              Apr-04 18:49:41 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Checksum OK, sending 0x00 to tell CM11a to transmit the data.
              Apr-04 18:49:41 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Got checksum: D8
              Apr-04 18:49:41 X10 DEBUG CM11A.SendIt(): Sending: 4 D4 Size: 2

Note that I shut off just about every plugin except for the X10 one (and HS Touch).
              Pete thanks for taking a look, I watched some of the time. Do Not know what your last action was, but it crashed HS. Did you manage to upgrade the Digi?
              sigpic

Comment

Do Not know what your last action was, but it crashed HS. Did you manage to upgrade the Digi?

Mostly watching Gordon. I did update the Digi firmware (it happens automagically when you update the drivers). Look on the advanced tab.
                Yeah all I did was disable some plugins and did notice that script running stuff and Teamviewer disconnections.

After the upgrade to the Digi Edgeport driver, disabled all of the plugins except for Homeseer Touch and X10 plugin.

I kept noticing a java scripting error window which it saids to continue or stop or quit.

Not sure what the script that was running.

From here just shut off and on your bathroom X10 fan and then watched the Homeseer logs. From looking at the logs X10 plugin seemed to be working in a timely manner with no errors in the log.

Running Malwarebytes might be slowing down Homeseer? Might be easier or faster to browse from another PC on the network?

In a recap I saw no issues with the X10 plugin plugged in to the Digi Edgeport.

Just a few suggestions relating to your Foxconn D525 / 4 Gb of memory running XP SP3 / HS3 or go with W7 starter basic on the machine or
                W7 embedded maybe?

I was only on the machine a few minutes and mostly related to seeing the X10 plugin function and it did just fine.

1 - do not surf the internet with this machine for any reason.
                2 - remote to the HS3 GUI from another machine to do stuff in HS3
                3 - remove malwarebytes as you do not need it if you do not surf with this machine
                4 - I didn't see any AV running. Remove that too.
                5 - Try to lighten up the XP machine - google for this and go baby steps
                6 - run dynamic DNS stuff on the firewall rather than the computer if you can do that.
                7 - do not run HS2 while running HS3 (I cannot tell if you were; just saw HS2 on the computer)

or

Update the motherboard to a newer atom based CPU or low energy iSeries 3 and 8 Gb or more of memory.

It would be an easy swap out and you could continue to utilize all of the rest of the stuff inside including power supply.

Not sure about seeing the consoles just staying in initialization mode while the plugins continue to load and run. This is not what I see on the consoles in Linux HS3 so I cannot comment on this other than what I saw in the console windows. You can though shut them off as they do not offer any information at this time.
                Last edited by Pete; April 6, 2017, 10:06 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Wow! Pete thank you so much for logging into Gordon's machine and checking into this! I am very happy to see that you were able to get his X10 interface working. I am really curious to understand if this was due to the Edgeport upgrade or something else. I'm hard-pressed to see how the Edgeport would cause a delay in a single byte response from the XTB-232 only when the XTB was trying to transmit on the power line and not during the other command/response transactions - very odd.

Just a note about the console window, the behavior you describe is how it this has been for a long time, and how I rec'd the code. It pops up to display that it has successfully connected to HS3 and that it's waiting to be initialized, but currently does nothing else. Note that it must be left open - closing the console window will terminate the plugin! I suppose I could add debug messages to the console window but that seems a bit redundant as they are already being sent to the HS log when Developer Mode is enabled.

Thanks again for sorting this out!!!

Gordon, please let us know how your X10 system works over the next couple of weeks!!
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                  Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Yup; here have some 8 Digi Edgeport 8's and 1 combo Digi Edgeport 16 / 4 USB Hub 1U device and did not have any issues with using these devices in Windows server of old and Windows XP and W7. Thinking the updating of firmware relates mostly to Windows 10 these days.

Early on with HS3 for Linux HS3/Mono did not work with the Digi Edgeport devices. Rich did fix this way back.

Note the Ubuntu / Wheezy / Jessie build of the OS always did work just fine with the Digi Edgeports.

There is still something goofy with HS3 when using a Digi Edgeport in Linux.

I do not know what it is though. It is almost like HS3/Mono is caching the Digi driver or something similar.

Been testing and switching device and USB ports such that I will probably just statically assign the Digi USB ports as I have done with my RPI2 slave 1-Wire temp, Z-Wave, X-10 and UPB device in the attic.

It is easier to use the Digi Edgeport devices for multiple RS-232 devices over 1-2 legacy serial ports.

Relating to the console window I always test Linux plugins running them manually in a terminal window as I get the best detail relating to the plugin this way.
                    Last edited by Pete; April 5, 2017, 11:17 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

^^^ are you saying you wouldnt update? I have a few digi and after seeing the newer drivers update the firmware i thought about it but maybe i shouldnt...
                      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

are you saying you wouldn't update?

NO never wrote that.

You can only update the firmware with the newest Digi drivers and it does it automatically in Windows (any flavor).

Here connected all of my Digi boxes one by one to a Windows server and updated each Digi Edgeport with newest firmware. Well it did it automatically. They are all at the same firmware revisions. That said I didn't have any issues with them in Linux.

I see two different firmware revisions for my Digi Edgeports (older ones and newer ones). old ones have 16k of RAM and new ones have 32k of RAM

Just wanted to update wintel boxes here with current Digi drivers and noticed that it automatically updates firmware when installing drivers.
                        If you have no issues with your Edgeports / drivers you can leave it alone or update the drivers; it is up to you.

Here are some screen shots.

[ATTACH]60508[/ATTACH]

Note the difference between the old Digi 8's and the new Digi 8's. I have mostly newere ones in my collection of Digi 8's.

Way back did start with VSCom (from the EU) USB to serial devices. Well built and never failed me. These were only 4 port USB to serial devices.
                        Switched over to Digi in the early 2000's. I used Digi in the work environment in the 1990's.

Check you your firmware versions.

I am guessing they will be different if you have not upgraded the drivers maybe?

Relating to automation in general I would stay away mostly from cheap *** USB hubs (there are a lot of them out there) and cheap USB to serial devices.

Think about dependencies relating to automation and short cutting these dependencies with junk.
                        Last edited by Pete; April 7, 2017, 11:35 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                        X