No login

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No login

Suddenly my HomeTroller SEL won't let me log in.

In looking at similar messages, it appears that deleting users.cfg is recommended.

I do not know how to access the Ubuntu system and all options lead either to the login username/password prompt, a complete system restore or the GRUB prompt.

How do I delete users.cfg?

Try to connect keyboard and monitor to unit
    OR
    SSH to your ZEE by downloading PuTTY: http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/.../x86/putty.exe, on a machine that is on the same network (this is the windows install)

Login:
    Username: homeseer
    SystemPassword: hsthsths3 (unless you changed it)

Enter commands:
    Command: cd /usr/local/HomeSeer/Config
    Command: sudo rm users.cfg
    Command: sudo reboot
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have had a handful of times (can count on one hand) the SEL not automatically run HS, usually when it was not gracefully shut down.

The solution was to hook up a monitor and a keyboard to the box (HDMI monitor, USB keyboard). In every case, I just had to press enter, and everything worked. It was stuck on some prompt. Thereafter, HS would automatically start at restarts of the box no problems.

These days I keep the SEL on a somewhat beefy UPS, and we live in a place with pretty rock solid power (knock on wood), and haven't had this issue.

Comment

Thank you. I was able to log in and delete users.cfg. Then I could log in, but now I can't get past the command line prompt. When I enter startx the screen goes blank and nothing else happens. No web access either.

After Ubuntu boots, I get the message:
        hometrollerSEL login: [ 11.786403] intel_soc_dts_thermal: request_threshold_irq ret -22

Before yesterday, I hadn't logged into the SEL for more than a month, and I only tried to log in, nothing else. I don't have a clue what happened.

I'd appreciate any help in getting the system back.

Comment

Try this:
          1) Navigate to Tools > System > Linux Tools
          2) Login with the system password that you created when you first set up the device
          3) Download the update script using the following command, without quotes "sudo wget www.homeseer.com/linux/grubupdate.sh"
          4) Run the script "sudo sh grubupdate.sh"
          5) Restart the HT-SEL via Tools > System > Reboot System
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm not sure waht you mean by Navigate to .... i only have a command line.

when i sudo wget i get a wget unable to resolve host address 'www.homeseer.com'
            The unit is plugged into the network.

Comment

I was a bit impatient. At the command prompt, I entered 'startx' and got a blank screen, but a response came back on the command line about 20 minutes later. A picture of this is in the attachment. I would try to get the log, but I don't know how to access the system. (If I did, I would try to copy the grubupdate.sh file from a usb drive.)

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I do not know unix/Ubuntu and the system is dead.
              Attached Files

Comment

You could be having permissions problems. At the command line enter these commands:
                cd
                ls -l .Xauthority
                ls -ld

and post results.

The 1st command ensures you are in your home directory. 2nd lists permissions and ownership of .Xauthority file, which appears to be causing issues. 3rd command lists permissions & ownership of your home directory itself.
                Ownership of both the home directory and the .Xauthority file should be homeseer (the logged in user), which will show in the 3rd column of the listing (4th column is the group ownership which can be ignored for now).

Example (from a z-net; I'm not runnning X at home):
                Code:
                homeseer@Z-Net:~ $ ls -dl
                drwxr-xr-x 7 homeseer homeseer 4096 Dec 19 07:55 .

Comment

Working...
                X