What RF Receiver to Use with this Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What RF Receiver to Use with this Plugin

I am thinking of getting a weather station (not sure what brand here either) and I am not sure what receiver to use. I see the RFXrec433 mentioned. I also have some acurite transmitters I would like to use.

Can anyone give me ideas on what works the best or works for them. thanks

Anyone out there that uses a weather station? I see AcuRite, Ambient Weather, La Crosse and Oregon Scientific as a few.

I found the RFXres433E but is it available local (US)? Any help is appreciated in all areas. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
      Anyone out there that uses a weather station? I see AcuRite, Ambient Weather, La Crosse and Oregon Scientific as a few.

I found the RFXres433E but is it available local (US)? Any help is appreciated in all areas. thanks
      I am no expert on Weather Stations nor RF receivers. I have a Vanguard Pro Weather Station that I have used for 9+ years. Very low maintenance, good support, great function. Not the least cost alternative out there, but considering the reliability and function that I have experienced, I wouldn't have anything else. Just me though. The Vanguard has its own communications built-in so a receiver just for that purpose is not used/required.

Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary. I will take a look at them. I think having it's own built-in communication is good. I guess if more rf devices were added down the road a receiver would be necessary but if only a weather station is all you want then it would work.

How does it connect to homeseer? Via?

Comment

I bought the RFXTRX433 from rfxcom.com directly. Reasonably quick shipping across the pond. Careful, because the description tends to make you think it also sees 310Mhz. It doesn't.

Although I'm inclined to think you're better off getting a weather station that your PC can communicate with directly or as others have done, have your PWS upload to wunderground.com for example. Then have a plug-in download the data from that same site.

That way you get the hardware you want and only need a plug-in.

Comment

Thanks racerfern. I have seen it on that website but was wondering about the shipping. I think it said it was coming from slovenia. But if you and others have purchased from there then it should be fine.

I have seen the systems that connect to the pc and agree. I also read about the wundergound too. I think that is the way to go. thanks

Comment

It definitely came from England. After conversion to USD, shipping and credit card fee, the grand total was $138.48. It will vary slightly based on the conversion rate.

Plan on having the receiver in the midst of what you're trying to capture. Some devices are extremely low power and the signal doesn't travel far. My challenge is I can pick up some of my neighbor's "stuff" but struggle to pick up the front doorbell button being pressed.

Comment

Your a hoot racerfern! Sounds like I will try the other way you mentioned. thanks again.

Comment

Last comment on this: I've always had trouble searching the forum for compound words and then rprade showed how it's done. Maybe you know this already, maybe not.

Go to google.com and type in the address bar:
                  site: forums.homeseer.com weather station OR
                  site: forums.homeseer.com "weather station" with quotes
                  site: forums.homeseer.com weather+station

Sorry, I don't remember exactly what the differences are but try a couple of variations of weather station or weather data or whatever. Soon enough you'll find some excellent info.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
                    Last comment on this: I've always had trouble searching the forum for compound words and then rprade showed how it's done. Maybe you know this already, maybe not.

Go to google.com and type in the address bar:
                    site: forums.homeseer.com weather station OR
                    site: forums.homeseer.com "weather station" with quotes
                    site: forums.homeseer.com weather+station

Sorry, I don't remember exactly what the differences are but try a couple of variations of weather station or weather data or whatever. Soon enough you'll find some excellent info.
                    That makes a huge difference in searching. I have found quite a few threads that give a lot of suggestions. Thanks again.

Comment

I am thinking of getting a weather station (not sure what brand here either) and I am not sure what receiver to use. I see the RFXrec433 mentioned. I also have some acurite transmitters I would like to use.

Can anyone give me ideas on what works the best or works for them. thanks
                      The RFXCOM plug-in supports the RFXtrx433, RFXrec433, RFXtrx315, RFXtrx868 and W800RF32

A large list of weather sensors are supported by the RFXtrx433 and RFXrec433.
                      For supported weather stations please see chapter 2 in the RFXtrx User Guide which is available at:
                      http://www.rfxcom.com/epages/7816546...ries/Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
                        The RFXCOM plug-in supports the RFXtrx433, RFXrec433, RFXtrx315, RFXtrx868 and W800RF32

A large list of weather sensors are supported by the RFXtrx433 and RFXrec433.
                        For supported weather stations please see chapter 2 in the RFXtrx User Guide which is available at:
                        http://www.rfxcom.com/epages/7816546...ries/Downloads
                        Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the user guide.

Comment

How does it connect to homeseer? Via?
                          I use a wireless Envoy (also from Davis), that connects to my HS PC via USB. That device picks up the weather signals from the wireless Vantage Pro2. Weather data is then downloaded from the Envoy to the PC via software. In my case I use Virtual Weather Station (VWS). VWS does a couple things. First it up-loads the data to Weather Underground, making it available on the web, and second, it saves a comma delimited file with select data values where HS can pick it up. Those values then are read by mcsSprinklers plugin and a home-grown script that sets HS device values. Good luck in your research.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
                            I use a wireless Envoy (also from Davis), that connects to my HS PC via USB. That device picks up the weather signals from the wireless Vantage Pro2. Weather data is then downloaded from the Envoy to the PC via software. In my case I use Virtual Weather Station (VWS). VWS does a couple things. First it up-loads the data to Weather Underground, making it available on the web, and second, it saves a comma delimited file with select data values where HS can pick it up. Those values then are read by mcsSprinklers plugin and a home-grown script that sets HS device values. Good luck in your research.

Gary
                            Thanks Gary. I was looking at the stations by Davis but they are a little beyond my price range...but nice. I was looking at a couple of them by ambient weather and they connect through a receiver unit and ethernet to router. Might give one of them a try.

Comment

Working...
                            X