Zoneminder Ubuntu Server Installation with ZMXAP to use with HS MCSXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete,

More a status, not looking for a solution, since I think the issue is with my program that I use to attach Zoneminder to my Zmodo DVR.

I've been using my Zoneminder with the zmodopipe script for a while. Was really good. I had two pipes and it seemed to work well.

A month ago, I installed more cameras. I had 5 now. I told the zmodopipe to attached Zoneminder to all 5.

Now it gets wonky and I lose all cameras. *sigh*
    Maybe I'll have to instantiate a second copy of the Zoneminder Virtual Box. Run 2 cameras per? I'd hate to waste THAT many PC resources...although, knowing I'm going to attach only one or TWO cameras, maybe I can do a SUPER minimum resource count per VM?

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Dan,

The ZM box with the 8 port/8chip analog and the IP cameras is a core duo machine with 4 Gb of memory running Ubuntu 11.04 32bit. I am but haven't gone to the 64bit machine OS. My preference would be to change hardware, 8 or more Gb of memory on a newer box before I move to 64bit. I did at one time install ZM on a VM and it worked for the 2-3 IP SD cameras that I tried with it. That said though I didn't try a VM with the CCTV card nor the HD cameras.

BTW I had issues with the Foscam attaching to the ZM box with the Foscam indiscriminately going to a boot loop. One day I adjusted the ZM specific monitor buffers section for said camera down a bit. Since then the ZM box always is attached to the Foscam PT that I have in the garage.

Try this:

1 - open two SSH windows to your ZM box and a browser session to ZM. (3 windows)

2 - one type:
      tail -f /var/log/syslog
      Leave it on the side, disable all of your cameras and start to enable them one by one watching the syslog live.

Here is what you will see. BTW not sure where my error is coming from; could be from HS or some client streaming video.
      I do not see it affecting what I am doing with ZM right now.

Dec 6 09:40:11 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo6[26468]: INF [House-N: 1293000 - Capturing at 29.41 fps]
      Dec 6 09:40:11 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo1[26438]: INF [Front-Door: 1293000 - Capturing at 30.30 fps]
      Dec 6 09:40:23 ICS-ZM zms[14869]: INF [Debug Level = 0, Debug Log = <none>]
      Dec 6 09:40:23 ICS-ZM zms[14869]: ERR [Unable to authenticate user]
      Dec 6 09:40:23 ICS-ZM zms[14870]: INF [Debug Level = 0, Debug Log = <none>]
      Dec 6 09:40:23 ICS-ZM zms[14870]: ERR [Unable to authenticate user]
      Dec 6 09:40:29 ICS-ZM zma_m7[26472]: INF [House-N: 1293000 - Processing at 29.41 fps]
      Dec 6 09:40:32 ICS-ZM zmc_m13[26481]: INF [ICS-IPCAM-Weather-2: 1315000 - Capturing at 31.25 fps]
      Dec 6 09:40:32 ICS-ZM zma_m2[26440]: INF [Front-Door: 1293000 - Processing at 30.30 fps]
      Dec 6 09:40:38 ICS-ZM zms[14881]: INF [Debug Level = 0, Debug Log = <none>]
      Dec 6 09:40:38 ICS-ZM zms[14881]: ERR [Unable to authenticate user]
      Dec 6 09:40:38 ICS-ZM zms[14882]: INF [Debug Level = 0, Debug Log = <none>]
      Dec 6 09:40:38 ICS-ZM zms[14882]: ERR [Unable to authenticate user]
      Dec 6 09:40:40 ICS-ZM zmc_m14[9363]: INF [ICS-IPCAM-Weather-1: 132000 - Capturing at 29.41 fps]
      Dec 6 09:40:44 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo6[26468]: INF [House-N: 1294000 - Capturing at 30.30 fps]
      Dec 6 09:40:45 ICS-ZM zmc_dvideo1[26438]: INF [Front-Door: 1294000 - Capturing at 29.41 fps]
      Dec 6 09:40:47 ICS-ZM zmc_m9[2452]: INF [IP-Camera1-Basement: 20000 - Capturing at 1.93 fps]
      Dec 6 09:40:53 ICS-ZM zms[14887]: INF [Debug Level = 0, Debug Log = <none>]
      Dec 6 09:40:53 ICS-ZM zms[14887]: ERR [Unable to authenticate user]
      Dec 6 09:40:53 ICS-ZM zms[14888]: INF [Debug Level = 0, Debug Log = <none>]
      Dec 6 09:40:53 ICS-ZM zms[14888]: ERR [Unable to authenticate user]
      Dec 6 09:41:01 ICS-ZM CRON[14895]: (root) CMD (/etc/webmin/sysstats/sysstats.pl)
      Dec 6 09:41:02 ICS-ZM zma_m7[26472]: INF [House-N: 1294000 - Processing at 30.30 fps]
      Dec 6 09:41:05 ICS-ZM zmc_m13[26481]: INF [ICS-IPCAM-Weather-2: 1316000 - Capturing at 30.30 fps]
      2 - In the second SSH window do a show and play with your /etc/sysctl.conf and your kernel.shmmax and kernel.shmall values until you break it. You can't hurt anything.

IE: as you enable the monitors in part #1; watch the live syslog. As it starts to break the streams then increase your shmmax and shmall numbers.

Really if you break it the back off a bit until you hit the sweet spot.
      Last edited by Pete; December 6, 2012, 01:05 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

what does this shmmem do? Do you think it is borking because I might not have allocated enough memory to the OS?

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Yes.

How much memory do you have allocated for the ZM VB build?

What does a 'Can't shmget: Invalid argument' error in my logs mean?

and my cameras won't display video at higher resolutions.

This error is discussed in the README in the following excerpt:- ...this is caused by an attempt to allocate an amount of shared memory greater than your system can handle. The size it requests is based on the following formula, ring buffer size x image width x image height x 3 (for 24 bit images) + a bit of overhead.

So, for example:

384x288 capture resolution, that makes: 110 592 pixels
          in 24 bit color that's x24 = 2 654 208 bits per frame
          by 80 frames ring buffer x80 = 212 336 640 bits per camera
          by 4 cameras x4 = 849 346 560 bits.

Plus 10% overhead = 934 281 216 bits

That's 116 785 152 bytes, and
          = 114 048 kB, respectively 111.38 MB.

If my shared memory is set to 134 217 728, which is exactly 128MB,
          that means I shouldn't have any problem.

(Note that 1 byte = 8 bits and 1kbyte = 1024bytes, 1MB = 1024 kB)
          If for instance you were using 24bit 640x480 then this would come to about 92Mb if you are using the default buffer size of 100. If this is too large then you can either reduce the image or buffer sizes or increase the maximum amount of shared memory available.

If you are using RedHat then you can get details on how to change these settings at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/d...resources.html .

You should be able to use a similar procedure with other distributions to modify the shared memory pool without kernel recompilations though in some cases this may be necessary.

Note, this error also sometimes occurs if you have an old shared memory segment lying around from a previous run that is too small. Use the ipcs and ipcrm system commands to check and remove it if necessary.'"

You can often find out how many 4KB shared memory pages are available by typing the following :-

# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmall

2097152In recent kernels the shmall is set to 2097152 memory pages multiplied by 4096 bytes per page for a total of 8 GB of shared memory available. You only need to increase the shmall value if you have a computer with more than 8GB of memory and wish to use more of it for shared memory usage, such as large databases.

The most shared memory bytes you can allocate in one go :-

# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

33554432In recent kernels the shmmax is set to 3354432 bytes for only 32 MB of maximum shared memory allocatable at a time, hardly enough for ZoneMinder to go above 320 x 240 x 24-bit resolution at 40 frames in the buffer if it is using the /dev/shm shared memory device, so this value needs to be increased. If you are using ZoneMinder with the memory mapped (mmap) compile time option then this doesn't affect you.

To change the value to 128 MB temporarily during this kernel execution type (for example) :-

echo 536870912 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmaxBe sure to restart ZoneMinder after this.

However be aware that sometimes you will only need to change the shmmax value as shmall is often large enough. Also changing these values in this way is only effective until your machine is rebooted.

To change them permanently you will need to edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the following lines (for example) :-

kernel.shmmax = 536870912Or if your distribution has the /etc/sysctl.d/ folder you can create a file in this folder without modifying the /etc/sysctl.d so you won't lose the changes during distro upgrades :-

echo kernel.shmmax = 536870912 >/etc/sysctl.d/60-kernel-shm.conf

To load these settings in the sysctl.conf file type:

sysctl -p

To check your shared memory settings type:

ipcs -lNote that with Megapixel cameras like the Axis 207mw becoming cheaper and more attractive, the above memory settings are not adequate.

To get Zoneminder working with a full 1280x1024 resolution camera in full color, increase 134217728 (128 MB) to, for example, 268435456 (256 MB) and multiple this value by each camera.

These changes will now also be set the next time your machine is restarted.

Versions 1.24.x of ZoneMinder also allows you to use an alternate method of shared memory allocation, mapped memory.

This requires less configuration and can be simpler to use. Mapped memory allows you to use a special type of file as the placeholder for your memory and this file is 'mapped' into memory space for easy and fast access.

To enable mapped memory in ZoneMinder you need add add the
          --enable--mmap=yes switch to your configure line.

By default mapped memory files are created in /dev/shm which on most distributions is a dedicated pseudo-partition containing memory formatted as a filesystem.

If your system uses a different path then this can be changed in ZoneMinder in Options->paths->PATH_MAP. It uses a filesystem type called tmpfs. If you type 'df' you should see this area and the size of memory it currently allows. It is important that you do not use a disk based filesystem for your memory mapped files as this will cause memory access to be extremely slow.

ZoneMinder creates files called .zm.mmap.<monitor id> in the mapped memory filesystem.

Mapped memory is subject to the same limitations in terms of total memory as using more traditional shared memory but does not require any configuration per allocation or chunk. In future versions of ZoneMinder this will be the default shared memory storage method.
          http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index...ras_in_mind.29
          Last edited by Pete; December 6, 2012, 12:51 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

I've not run any commands yet, but I have assigned 4 processors and 1GB of RAM. I recently (early X-mas?) was able to up my system from 4Gb to 16GB of ram. So, I wouldn't mind bumping that up. I'm not sure how this will affect the Linux configuration.

I had it so low before, because I was sitting at 50-60% of my RAM sitting on the hard drive in swap space. With the extra memory I now have 4GB free and almost 0 activity on the swap file.

--Dan

Comment

Dan,

The previous gen of ZM was running on a Pentium D with 1 then 2 Gb of memory.

It did fine with just the 8 feeds from the CCTV card.

Try the shmall and shmmax tweaks first to see if that fixes your stuff. Write or back up your two values to notepad or something; then just do a copy and paste; update and watch your feeds. This alone helped me a great deal when I went from black and white to color cameras. Think it was one color camera was the same as 2-3 black and white cameras. I utilize Winscp or Nano or Joe when I edit files.

Today's Linux is much more resilient and plugnplay. If or when you tweak your base OS memory; a reboot is all that is required.

Here I have been modding the camera video a bit. I installed an HAI video hub. With that I also installed a 1 to 4 port analog amp per video port.

So the video goes to either HSTouch (ZM) or HAI TS clients via the video hub and it left me with two free video feeds per amp. I had to "build" another wall panel though with electric et al.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, Makes sense. I had 3 cameras on Zoneminder. 2 were BW, the rest were color. The 2 BW were IP (Http MJPEG), the other was zmodo. When I switched to the "5", I basically added more Color cameras and put the 2 BW on the Zmodo.

So, 2 BW and 3 Color, all over the zmodo "pipes". I can see if memory was an issue, it would "drop out" as it is. Basically, I get video streaming, then it just goes BLACK and stops. Then it cascades through the other cameras and they all go black. The only way I've been able to restore was to actually "re-image" the Virtual machine from a backup. The backup was the original configuration with 2BW on IP and 1 Zmodo.

Although, I have not tried to delete cameras and see if that helps.

--Dan

Comment

Dan,

I never delete the cameras typically I just disable them. Odd thing about ZM is that if you delete camera 4 of 5; then add it back as a new camera it will not be added as camera 4 but instead it will be camera 6. You can fix that by editing the ZM SQL DB; but its a PITA. Yup; typically when you run out of memory the screen goes black; and when the picture doesn't sync or you disconnect the wire the screen goes blue. If you have the specific monitor recording motion events then you can actually see this happening in vivo; via a recorded event.

Even though most of the changes in the Options are dynamic I will typically stop and start Zoneminder after I make my changes.

Sometimes via the ZM GUI and other times via the SSH session (IE: service zoneminder stop and service apache2 stop; then starting the two services).
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I got antsy last night, I probably should NOT have done this, but I did the "update me to V12" of Ubuntu.

At least I can restore to where I was. I also edited the VM to allow 4GB of RAM.

Will have to check all the other things you mentioned as well. Thanks for letting me know that, THAT is why I was losing my picture. As a stop-gap, I installed the IP Cam viewer from the market.

Thanks again for all your help!

--Dan

Comment

Betcha it took all of 10 minutes to update to Ubuntu 12.x eh?

Did you go to the 64bit version?

Kind of looking in the direction of using the touch clients to manually record and play back video events, playback specific video events and compilied video events.

That in itself would provide some neat and functional CCTV functionality to Homeseer/HSTouch clients.
                      Last edited by Pete; December 7, 2012, 12:11 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I'm not sure how long it took. I was remoting into the VM during commercials. It kept stopping to ask questions. During lunch I just reverted to my last VM snapshot so I can be consistent with your instructions and my webmin/zoneminder configs. I knew it used to work that way. So, if I can get the memory fixed, that might be all I need to care about.

--Dan

Comment

Personally I have used my ZM DIY as a reference to my own builds.
                          Early on and many years ago learned that was one of my primary issues. It was totally different though because you had to build some drivers at the time; so it wasn't really that plug n play.

Everytime I find something odd or a patch or a fix I have been adding it to the original DIY.

I have seen that all of the cameras look better at night in black and white. ZM will colorize a camera at night. That said I will put in instructions such that the camera configs switch to black and white at night.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

April 18, 2014 - Upgrading Zoneminder via PPA

https://launchpad.net/~iconnor/+archive/zoneminder

You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:iconnor/zoneminder to your system's Software Sources.
                            Code:
                            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder
                            sudo apt-get update
                            This updated my stuff to Version 1.27 of Zoneminder

Before updating both boxes upgraded Linux where as both are now at Ubuntu Linux 12.04.3

I noticed many many changes and improvements with Zoneminder 1.27.

Next steps; experimenting is to "upgrade"; mod the oldest analog cameras to IP. These are Opti combo outdoor cameras. Will do pictures. It will involve removing the analog camera boards and replacing them a small two stack camera lens board and IP HD board and a bit of rewiring to the main alarm boards in each of the cameras.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Pete; April 18, 2014, 07:35 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

New ZM box update with Ubuntu 14.04 which you can get here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server

Will be installing Zoneminder v1.27 on this one as documented above:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder
                              sudo apt-get update
                              Much quicker build these days.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Noticed an issue with ZM 1.25 running on Ubuntu 13.04.

The issue crops up with "red" screens or "smearing" video streaming.

Its relating to using RTSP and many but not all of the Grandstream cameras. Not seeing this with one Granstream camera and not the Ubiquti Aircams.

Basically the RTSP streaming is overloading Zoneminder and pushing on the utilization.

The fix is easy and it seems to work fine.

Just add a "?tcp" to the end of the URL utilized for streaming. Worked for me.

This is sort of a "mickey mouse" temporary fix.

Example of one IP HD camera.

Code:
                                rtsp://192.168.244.155:554/1 ?tcp
                                Its been reported that this issue will be fixed with Zoneminder 1.27 which I am running on Zoneminder box #1. That said ZM box #1 is using the 8 port analog capture card so I do not see it there.

The issue is relating to dropping RTSP packets.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X