www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Security Systems Plug-ins > Security System Discussion > HomeSeer DSC Plug-in

HomeSeer DSC Plug-in HomeSeer DSC plug-in for Power Series security panels

Old May 29th, 2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juthale View Post
I am brand new to HS and have some questions about DSC integration with the HS controller.

I have a HomeTroller S6 PRO which will ultimately be running in a brand new building - the building is only under construction now. I had the alarm installer hardwire the structure for a DSC 1832 PowerSeries panel and have purchased the DSC IT-100 module for integration with my HS controller.

My question is this: my alarm panel will be about 30' away from my HS controller, in a separate room. I know the IT-100 module has a RS-232 interface. How are people connecting this into their controller? Can I convert from RS-232 directly to CAT 5 and run it into my network switch?

Thanks for humoring the new guy... hopefully my questions will get a bit more intelligent as I learn more about the system!
I believe some users are using a serial to IP converter like the Global Cache one.

Alternatively, you could use the EnvisaLink board instead of the IT-100, which is IP based. In this case you would need the EnvisaLink DSC plugin
Old May 29th, 2015, 08:13 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
I am brand new to HS and have some questions about DSC integration with the HS controller.

I have a HomeTroller S6 PRO which will ultimately be running in a brand new building - the building is only under construction now. I had the alarm installer hardwire the structure for a DSC 1832 PowerSeries panel and have purchased the DSC IT-100 module for integration with my HS controller.

My question is this: my alarm panel will be about 30' away from my HS controller, in a separate room. I know the IT-100 module has a RS-232 interface. How are people connecting this into their controller? Can I convert from RS-232 directly to CAT 5 and run it into my network switch?

Thanks for humoring the new guy... hopefully my questions will get a bit more intelligent as I learn more about the system!
You can use a serial to Ethernet converter which would plug into your network switch and show up as a virtual COM port on your HS server. However, 30' is within the serial distance limitations, so if you had a direct CAT5 cable between your DSC panel and your HS server you could wire it direct to the COM port of your S6. How many COM ports do you have on the S6?

Cheers
Al
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Seer

Thanks guys, just the kind of expertise I was hoping to find!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman View Post
You can use a serial to Ethernet converter which would plug into your network switch and show up as a virtual COM port on your HS server. However, 30' is within the serial distance limitations, so if you had a direct CAT5 cable between your DSC panel and your HS server you could wire it direct to the COM port of your S6. How many COM ports do you have on the S6?l
There are 10 physical ports (8x USB and 2x serial) and 3 USBs are being used. The 30' estimate is "as the crow flies". It will be a longer run once I actually route it. Do you know what the length limits are for a serial run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
you could use the EnvisaLink board instead of the IT-100, which is IP based. In this case you would need the EnvisaLink DSC plugin
Really useful info, as I was not aware of the EnvisiaLink module. Is there any consensus about which board (IT-100 or EnvisaLink) and which plugin offers the best functionality?

Thanks again for the answers!

Justin
Old May 29th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Seer Deluxe

I had an 1864 panel installed in my new home and purchased the Envisalink 3. Just this morning, I installed the Envisalink Plugin in trial mode and completed the setup. It was very very easy. Most of the time was spent walking around opening and closing zones so that I could label them correctly in HS3.
Old May 29th, 2015, 01:15 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Thanks guys, just the kind of expertise I was hoping to find!
There are 10 physical ports (8x USB and 2x serial) and 3 USBs are being used. The 30' estimate is "as the crow flies". It will be a longer run once I actually route it. Do you know what the length limits are for a serial run?

Really useful info, as I was not aware of the EnvisiaLink module. Is there any consensus about which board (IT-100 or EnvisaLink) and which plugin offers the best functionality?

Thanks again for the answers!

Justin
Hi Justin, officially I think it's 50', but I've seen much longer ones work and I've also seen shorter ones not work (typically due to electrical noise such as fluorescent ballasts, etc.).

I think there are 3 plugins available for the DSC panels:

- HomeSeer's DSC Plugin that works with the IT100
- Blade's DSC Plugin that works with the IT100
- spud's plugin that works with the EnvisaLink

I use HomeSeer's plugin and it's worked well over the years. It was "free" for me as I own the HS Pro license. If you don't have the Pro license and have to pay for a plugin license, I would buy Blade's for the IT1000 or spud's for the EnvisaLink. I've had my panel before the EnvisaLink was available, so don't know what additional benefits it provides. The IT100 and it's predecessor (PC5401 I believe) have been very reliable for me.

Cheers
Al
Old May 29th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman View Post
there are 3 plugins available for the DSC panels:

- HomeSeer's DSC Plugin that works with the IT100
- Blade's DSC Plugin that works with the IT100
- spud's plugin that works with the EnvisaLink
Thanks again for great insight!

Our functionality needs are pretty straightforward, so I think the IT100 and HS plugin should do the job. Like you, I get the HS plugins for free. If this wasn't the case, and if I hadn't already purchased the IT100, perhaps I would explore other options. As it is, I think I will just figure out the best way to get the IT100 wired.

With a bit of research, it looks like I have a few options...
  1. A long (50'+) serial run
    • Makes the run with a shielded DB9/RS232 cable ($40)
    • May be slow or unreliable, as this is the absolute max length
    • Wires into a serial port on my controller (not ideal)
  2. Use a serial extender
    • Requires a RS232 serial extender ($60-$100)
    • Makes the run over CAT5/6, which is cheap
  3. Serial to Ethernet
    • Requires a RS232 to TCP/IP adapter ($50-$100)
    • Wires directly into my Ethernet switch (a good thing)
  4. Serial to USB
    • Requires a RS232 to USB adapter ($10)
    • Makes the run over 50+ feet of USB cable with active repeater (less than $25)
    • Wires into a serial port on my controller (OK)
Some are more clunky than others. I am inclined to go with #3, which seems like the cleanest way to proceed with the IT100 (convert RS232 from the IT100 directly to Ethernet at the DSC panel and connect with CAT5/6 directly into my network switch).

Has anyone taken this approach?
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Why not buy the envisalink for the $90 and Spuds plug in instead? I have the PRO version but bought Spud's. If you search the forums, the including DSC version is actually recommended against...
Plugins:Z Wave 3.0.1.55, HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208, HS3Touch, HS3Touch IOS, Z-Net, SceneMaster, XBMC, Sonos, Media Controller, Envisalink (52 Virtual nodes), JowiHue, EasyTrigger, Liftmaster MyQ, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLRadar, Pushover

Devices:Cooper RF9540, Cooper Scene, Yale Locks, Sonos, Phillips Hue and Lux, DSC, Somfy Blinds
Old May 29th, 2015, 06:29 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Thanks again for great insight!

Our functionality needs are pretty straightforward, so I think the IT100 and HS plugin should do the job. Like you, I get the HS plugins for free. If this wasn't the case, and if I hadn't already purchased the IT100, perhaps I would explore other options. As it is, I think I will just figure out the best way to get the IT100 wired.

With a bit of research, it looks like I have a few options...
  1. A long (50'+) serial run
    • Makes the run with a shielded DB9/RS232 cable ($40)
    • May be slow or unreliable, as this is the absolute max length
  2. Use a serial extender
    • Requires a RS232 serial extender ($60-$100)
  3. Serial to Ethernet
  4. Serial to USB
    • Requires a RS232 to USB adapter ($10)
    • Makes the run over 50+ feet of USB cable with active repeater (less than $25)
    • Wires into a serial port on my controller (OK)
Some are more clunky than others. I am inclined to go with #3, which seems like the cleanest way to proceed with the IT100 (convert RS232 from the IT100 directly to Ethernet at the DSC panel and connect with CAT5/6 directly into my network switch).

That's basically what I do. I use a 4-port Quatech QSE-100 device server I bought for cheap on ebay. For option 1, there's a sub-option as well which is to wire direct using CAT5 cable and then use DB9 to Rj45 adapters which are only a few dollars each.

Cheers
Al
Old May 30th, 2015, 02:19 AM
Seer Deluxe

Where is your it100? The DSC specs along for quite long connections (100') on the keybus which is a simple 4 wire connection on cheap alarm cable. I run it to a little box with the it100 in and a short serial cable from that to my PC.
That said, given how poorly supported the official plugin is I would consider paying someone else for a better one but you run the risk of it becoming unsupported in future.
It is frankly shocking how poorly supported the official plugin is.
Old May 30th, 2015, 02:29 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519zwave View Post
Why not buy the envisalink for the $90 and Spuds plug in instead?
I'm not opposed to it at all, but it will ultimately cost more than proceeding with the IT-100, so I'd need a better reason than just avoiding the hassle of converting the IT-100's serial port to IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519zwave View Post
If you search the forums, the including DSC version is actually recommended against...
This may be the case and I'd love to hear why. I'm asking for the reasons I should make the change.

Quote:
Is there any consensus about which board (IT-100 or EnvisaLink) and which plugin offers the best functionality?
Converting the connection so the IT-100 can connect directly to my network switch is not a problem. However, if there are meaningful functionality differences between the DSC and EnvisaLink modules & plugins, I would not hesitate to swap the IT-100 out for the EnvisaLink 3 module.

Thanks,

Justin
Old May 30th, 2015, 02:39 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack1979 View Post
Where is your it100? .
The building is not complete yet, but I had been thinking the IT100 would go into the DSC alarm panel enclosure. I had never thought of putting the module with/near my HS controller. Thanks for this tip!

Quote:
The DSC specs along for quite long connections (100') on the keybus which is a simple 4 wire connection on cheap alarm cable. I run it to a little box with the it100 in and a short serial cable from that to my PC.
This is a really simple / low-cost solution. I like it a lot.

Quote:
That said, given how poorly supported the official plugin is I would consider paying someone else for a better one but you run the risk of it becoming unsupported in future. It is frankly shocking how poorly supported the official plugin is.
And this is really good insight. The kind of insight which could convince me to switch to the EnvisaLink product!

Thanks Mack1979.
Old June 27th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Seer Deluxe

DSC INTERFACE

Im planning to install an 18-32 dsc with IT100 interface . Being as the panel is about 60ft from the computer can I use a global cache serial device and how do I interface. What is the max length a serial cable can be?
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Seer Deluxe

Do what Mack said (and what I do). Mount your IT-100 with your Homeseer server (on a 12" USB to serial converter) and connect to DSC via the 4 wire keybus. There is no need for the IT-100 to be with the rest of the panel. I actually have my expasion nodes mounted outside the main DSC panel also to reduce total wire length.
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Seer Master

Good idea. FYI - We routinely run 200ft serial cables at work with no issues.

- Robert
Old June 27th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Seer

Quote:
... my alarm panel will be about 30' away from my HS controller, in a separate room. I know the IT-100 module has a RS-232 interface. How are people connecting this into their controller? Can I convert from RS-232 directly to CAT 5 and run it into my network switch?
Yes, you can run RS232 directly over CAT 5. There are DB9 to RJ45 adapters available from Digikey available for that purpose. The IT-100 developer guide lists the default baud rate at 9600 and conveniently lists the maximum distance for that rate at 98'. (They also list cable capacitance but Cat5e meets the requirements.) However, if you are running next to power cable, or other noisy cabling, you could pick up some noise over that distance which could make the link intermittent (e.g. when power loads nearby switch off and on). You can minimize this by running STP - shielded Cat 5.

My preference however (which is a bit more on the expensive side) is to run Moxa boxes (http://www.moxa.com/product/NPort_5100A.htm) to run it over Ethernet. This gives you a robust and flexible solution. You only need a single unit on the far end and a driver on your host machine will allow you to map the remote COM port to a virtual one on your local machine. There are alternatives to Moxa but my experience with their product is very good.

I've also heard of 3rd party interfaces that you can purchase for the DSC system that provide a native Ethernet interface - but I haven't tested them personally. (Note that the T-Link TL250 does not do what you want. I've tried.)

Regards, Gear
Old September 18th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Seer Deluxe

Angry dsc page not connecting

I tried to connect to DSC config page I received this message at the top of the blank screen

Error in BuildPage Conversion from string "HSENC2tEg8OPKKtnSRI2/NvZDsGA==" to type 'Integer' is not valid.

What's happening
Old September 18th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Seer Master

What version are you running
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Seer Deluxe

dsc page not connecting

I'm running 30047. I did get the page back by deleting the confg file in the program. This brought me a new setup file which I filled out. the problem I'm having now is that it is not communicating . I checked the config file and it appears to be in order. I have rebooted the machine and the plugin a number of times . it still doesn't seem to respond

1832 board
it100 interface
plugin HS 30047
Old June 14th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Seer

Does the DSC plugin support the DSC Touch SCW9067? http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=Produ...vent=DSC-Touch

This is a Zwave device, so I'm wondering what support it has in HS3 with or without the DSC plugin?

Thanks.
Old July 10th, 2016, 06:34 AM
Seer

Anybody have a guess? It seems like a nice panel. I'd also like to have an idea whether I can talk to it without having to buy one first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormia View Post
Does the DSC plugin support the DSC Touch SCW9067? http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=Produ...vent=DSC-Touch

This is a Zwave device, so I'm wondering what support it has in HS3 with or without the DSC plugin?

Thanks.