Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TUTORIAL: Setup your Amazon Echo UK to talk to HomeSeer (Workaround)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I'll mess with it some more.

Hopefully when everyone is out, the dog won't care about me looking a muppet talking to the house.

K.

Comment

Originally posted by kwatt View Post
      Okay, I'll mess with it some more.

Hopefully when everyone is out, the dog won't care about me looking a muppet talking to the house.

K.

Are you saying "Alexa, tell Homeseer" first before you give commands?
      Steve

Comment

Yeah, I got that bit okay but what I may not have been doing is saying the like of; "Alexa, tell HomSeer to turn off the hall hallway lamp"

But instead saying; "Alexa, tell HomSeer to turn off the hallway lamp"

I think that may be where I was mucking it up, just getting the syntax incorrect.

One of the big reasons I want it to work isn't that though, it's to fire off macros like telling the house to go to sleep as it makes is so, so simple for others who then don't have to bother with an input device. Okay, the Echo is an input device but you know what I mean.

K.

Comment

Oh way cool!

Got it to run events.

Thanks for the work, help and tips in this thread.

K.

Comment

Originally posted by kwatt View Post
            Oh way cool!

Got it to run events.

Thanks for the work, help and tips in this thread.

K.

I know what you mean, I currently use a touchscreen button to run a load of "goodnight" events. I have now created a virtual "goodnight " button. Am hoping to control this with Alexa tonight, will see what happens [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Steve

Comment

Kwatt,

You have Pm[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Steve

Comment

I have just been in touch with Alexa support, after I had the shock of my Homeseer skill having disappeared after I converted the US version to the UK version. They will send me a email with steps to (hopefully) restore the skill and convery me back to the US version.
                If and when they do. I will post it here.
                In the meantime, this workaround, can I still adress my devices without having to say Alexa tell Homeseer... before I discovered my devices, the just said Alexa, turn on xyz and that worked fine. Far more practical.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                  I have just been in touch with Alexa support, after I had the shock of my Homeseer skill having disappeared after I converted the US version to the UK version. They will send me a email with steps to (hopefully) restore the skill and convery me back to the US version.
                  If and when they do. I will post it here.
                  In the meantime, this workaround, can I still adress my devices without having to say Alexa tell Homeseer... before I discovered my devices, the just said Alexa, turn on xyz and that worked fine. Far more practical.
                  No this is the other skill that sends the commands directly to Homeseer to deal with. I have changed the Invocation Name on my skill to "The House". So I can say "Alexa, tell the house to turn on the lounge ceiling light".

The other skill is the API skill which allows you to do the discover devices etc. The only problem with that is it only allows basic control such as on,off dim etc. Where as this skill can run events, control devices and get the status of devices.

Both have their place depending on your setup, but I actually think I will be sticking with this one now.

Matt.

Comment

No this is the other skill that sends the commands directly to Homeseer to deal with. I have changed the Invocation Name on my skill to "The House". So I can say "Alexa, tell the house to turn on the lounge ceiling light".
                    Have you played with the timed commands?

"Alexa, tell the house to in ten seconds turn on the lounge ceiling light for ten seconds"

Also, you can use your HS phone app to speak commands.

When doing so, you don't need to say "Alexa, tell the house to"
                    Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post

"Alexa, tell the house to in ten seconds turn on the lounge ceiling light for ten seconds"

Also, you can use your HS phone app to speak commands.

When doing so, you don't need to say "Alexa, tell the house to"

Comment

Ooooo, what fun!

I, too, set up a developer skill using "the house" as the invocation. Yay!

Is there a comprehensive list online that accurately reflects what can be 'said' to HS3?

Comment

I don't know if it's got everything in the list of things the skill can do.

It can command devices, and will distinguish between them by the location 1 and location 2 qualifiers. "Tell the house to turn on the living room light", "Tell the house to turn on the dining room light". Both devices are called "light" but have different rooms.

It can command like devices in a location "Tell the house to turn off all the lights in the living room" or "Tell the house to turn off all the lights on the second floor" where "living room" is a location, and "second floor" is a location.

It can command events, either by the name of the event or a phrase that is tied to the event. "Tell the house to run the event 'Goodnight'" or "Tell the house to 'go to sleep'" where the name of the event is "Goodnight" and the phrase to be recognized is "go to sleep"

It can be set to command devices to be delayed and/or be in a state for a length of time. "Tell the house to in five minutes turn on the living room light" "Tell the house to turn on the outside lights for ten minutes" "Tell the house to on Tuesday at five AM turn on the sprinklers in the front yard for one hour"

A script can be inserted into the /scripts folder to run code based on the text the echo generates. The script needs to be called 'check_vcmd.vb'. If a response is generated in the script, HS3 will return it to the echo.

I think that is the gist of it.
                          Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

A script can be inserted into the /scripts folder to run code based on the text the echo generates. The script needs to be called 'check_vcmd.vb'. If a response is generated in the script, HS3 will return it to the echo.
                            Ok this sounds interesting but how do I get HS3 to run the script, so lets say I want the script to run when i say 'go to sleep', so basically how do I get the Alexa tell house to go to sleep to run the script check_vcmd.vb
                            And how would I get a second phrase to run a different script ?

I am also not sure what you mean by HS3 will return it to the echo

Could you please elaborate ?

Comment

I have just installed the dev echo app as per tutorial, account is linked and all looks ok. I went to Alexa and said Alexa tell the house to turn on lights. Response: your HS3 system needs to be version 239 or later for this to work. Then she turned off. I am on the newest version. Any ideas ?

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                                I have just installed the dev echo app as per tutorial, account is linked and all looks ok. I went to Alexa and said Alexa tell the house to turn on lights. Response: your HS3 system needs to be version 239 or later for this to work. Then she turned off. I am on the newest version. Any ideas ?
                                Fwiw, when I go to the /About page on my HS3 setup it reports:

Homeseer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.297 (Windows)

What does it show on the page: http://ip_of_your_hs_server/About

I've also had it previously setup to work with the myhs web service, so make sure yours is logged into that also.

Comment

Working...
                                X