WD200+ Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD200+ Failures

I have installed a dozen WD200+ dimmers. The latest dimmer is on a circuit with 2 LV 8.5w MR16 GU5 LED Phillips dimmable lights. After operating a few hours at 25% dim, the dimmer quit working...no power at any setting to the lights, though the switch is still connected to the network and responds to commands, it just won't power the load. I assumed I had a bad dimmer, so I replaced it...a few hours at 25% and it failed also. This circuit has operated with an intermatic zwave dimmer and LV halogens for 5 years and the wires are correctly connected. Any ideas what's going on?
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    6 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Are you removing any of the 'cooling fins' when installing?
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Yes, I am removing all of them; it is a 3 switch gang box and doesn't allow room. I've installed very few dimmers, mostly 600w devices, in my 65 years with all the fins. Are you suggesting that these dimmers can't handle 17 watts of resistance without failing?
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
        Yes, I am removing all of them; it is a 3 switch gang box and doesn't allow room. I've installed very few dimmers, mostly 600w devices, in my 65 years with all the fins. Are you suggesting that these dimmers can't handle 17 watts of resistance without failing?
        I believe, could be wrong, that a GU5.3 Base is for a 12V lamp so are you using a magnetic or electronic transformer to feed them? If magnetic do we know how well the HS dimmers handles magnetic transformers.
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
        3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
        4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
        3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
        SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
          Not at all, but with most dimmers its important to keep as much of the heat sink as possible. (Not always possible)

If the heat sink isn't getting too hot when working, then I suspect thats not the cause.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
          RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Timon wins the prize, a burned out WD200... I spoke with HS and they confirmed that these dimmers only handle magnetic transformers, a little more investigation revealed that my fixtures have electronic transformers. I've never had this issue with Cooper or Intermatic. Though electronic transformers seem to be less prevalent, they are out there. With these dimmers at $55 each, seems like this info needs to be more readily available. Thanks for the help.
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Working...
            X