Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speech errors all of a sudden. What causes this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech errors all of a sudden. What causes this?

1/28/2005 6:59:27 PM~!~Audio Debug~!~Warning, speak error, resetting speech: Method '~' of object '~' failed

I'm getting these in bunches several times a day the last few days.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Does it ever recover??? I have noticed that my system will not speak after this begins to be listed in the log... Hence the previous post reguard the System Watchdog event...

Comment

I don't know the exact cause, however I can get this error when I remote into my (HS) pc from remote terminal services if I enable the option to forward sound to the client computer. In other words, the speech functions are not supported via RTS, thus I have to reboot the host computer (HS) to restore. Seems the association between HS speech functions and the sound drivers are lost. Hope this offers some sort of hint.
      Mike

Comment

Mike,
        That's an excellent clue. When I get this I'm Remoted to my HS server. I do have leave speech at remote computer selected but I'll bet it has something to do with the remote desktop connection. I just logged into work and I was still remoted home from work. In addition I was remoted from my laptop to my HS server. Man this can be confusing remitting from a remote. Let's hope that is what was causing it.

Comment

Rupp,
          I was happy to hear you had the same problem with remote services. I found if I disabled the forwarding of sound, then the HS speech functions would still work while remotely connected, on the HS pc of course. One other thing to note, however, if I make a remote connection (even with sound not forwarded), I find I can still loose the HS speech functions if I close the remote session remotely. Thus, to keep things working normally when using remote terminal services, I keep the remote connection until I can log back into the HS pc locally (if you log-off/disconnect from the remote computer, the HS pc has no log in, thus no sound events possible).
          Mike

Comment

RDP causes it, no workaround. I started a trouble ticket:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=userstaffresponse><TD vAlign=top width="30%" height=14>Richard Helmke
            16-4-2004-10:59

</TD><TD vAlign=top width="70%" height=14>The problem is that MS disables speech if no one is logged into the computer (they figure no one is there to here it!). So if you remotely connect then disconnect, the speech will not work properly, no matter what the settings. I am pretty sure this is your problem. They refuse to fix this so I have to find a work around. For my system, I use WinVNC which does not have this issue.

To verify this, restart your computer and don't log in remotely. See if you ever get the error.

Regards,

Richard Helmke
            HomeSeer Technologies LLC
            </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I am using UltraVNC now. Have not had a speech failure since. Time for Rupp to go back to Netmeeting?

~Bill

Comment

Hum .... I login to my HS server everyday first thing in the morning. I've done this for months. I keep it connect all day. At the end of the day I disconnect using that disconnect bat file. I haven't seen this message ever until the last few days. So somehow it must be something else.

Comment

Working...
              X