Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer SmartHome Skill (Alexa Version 3 API)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A Few Things Share That Name, Which One Did You Want"

After switching to V3 I am now getting the Alexa question "A Few Things Share That Name, Which One Did You Want?" even when no other devices contain the name "couch".

This is new behavior. I was previously able to say:
    "Alexa, Couch on"
    "Alexa, Couch 20%"
    "Alexa, Couch off"
    and she would control the light correctly.

Now she just gives me this message. The only way I have found around it is to put "Couch" in the Voice Command Field.

Am I now required to use the Voice Command field?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Regards,
    Vector

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
      I would leave it as you had it, as the echo can get confused about exactly what you meant when saying "living room lights on"

It might not know whether it's looking for the whole phrase or whether your looking for an object named 'living room lights' that you want to send the command 'off' to.
      thanks but I'm still a little bit confused with this is offering me that I could do before?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
        thanks but I'm still a little bit confused with this is offering me that I could do before?
        If you create a group that consists of an echo and lights, then that echo will turn the lights (in the group on) when you tell it (that specific echo) lights on. So if you have a living room group that has lights and a living room echo, when you enter the living room and say lights on - those lights and only those lights come on. Or you can say turn the lights on. Echo knows what room you are in and you can tell it which lights you want to control in that particular room.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
          Quote from install instructions

The new version 3 API adds some new features. To take advantage of all of the new features, HS3 version 3.0.0.398 or later is required.

Looks like it won't work with .318
          My version is only "HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368 (Windows)" and does not seem to be updating higher (I shut it down and rebooted). How do you get the newer or beta version of HS3?
          Last edited by ViperJD; January 28, 2018, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperJD View Post
            My version is only "HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368 (Windows)" and does not seem to be updating higher (I shut it down and rebooted). How do you get the newer or beta version of HS3?
            In the HS3 beta forum under release notes. The links are at the bottom of the post.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by wkomorow View Post
              If you create a group that consists of an echo and lights
              How do "you create a group that consists of an echo ..."?

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                In the HS3 beta forum under release notes. The links are at the bottom of the post.
                THANKS!

Comment

So if I want to say "Alexa, turn on Desk Light", what do I need set up?

Right now I need to say "Alexa, turn on first floor living room desk light"

In HS3:
                  Device Name: Desk Light
                  Voice Command: (blank)
                  Floor: First Floor
                  Room: Living Room

In Alexa:
                  Created a group called "Living Room"
                  Added "First Floor Living Room Desk Light
                  Desk Light in First Floor Living Room connected via Homeseer"

So what should I change?

Comment

So if I want to say "Alexa, turn on Desk Light", what do I need set up?

Right now I need to say "Alexa, turn on first floor living room desk light"

In HS3:
                    Device Name: Desk Light
                    Voice Command: (blank)
                    Floor: First Floor
                    Room: Living Room

In Alexa:
                    Created a group called "Living Room"
                    Added "First Floor Living Room Desk Light
                    Desk Light in First Floor Living Room connected via Homeseer"

So what should I change?
                    The Voice command. It will overwrite the Homeseer name . So write ''Desk Light'' in the Voice command box too.

Comment

Mind if I ask what's holding back a release? With all the fancy new Alexa API stuff unusable for anyone not running beta I'm sure they'd love to see a release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
                        Mind if I ask what's holding back a release? With all the fancy new Alexa API stuff unusable for anyone not running beta I'm sure they'd love to see a release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Rich said he was close to a release with .398, then addressed a couple of issues with .402. There are still very sparse but lingering reports of crashing he has been trying to address. I would bet a new production release is coming. Also understand that there have been a few kinks with the HomeSeer skill v3 so it is all essentially beta.

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
                          The Voice command. It will overwrite the Homeseer name. So write ''Desk Light'' in the Voice command box too.
                          That actually worked. But now I can say "Alexa, turn off the Desk Light" and it finds it.
                          But if I add a voice command of "Desk Light" on a bedroom light and try "Alexa, turn off the Desk Light" from the Living Room, Alexa says there are duplicate devices. Can I have a Desk Light in more than one room and have it turn on or off from that room's Alexa?

Comment

That actually worked. But now I can say "Alexa, turn off the Desk Light" and it finds it.
                            But if I add a voice command of "Desk Light" on a bedroom light and try "Alexa, turn off the Desk Light" from the Living Room, Alexa says there are duplicate devices. Can I have a Desk Light in more than one room and have it turn on or off from that room's Alexa?
                            No, voice command names need to be unique. I understand you can do what you want with groups, though I haven't gotten that to work yet either. Look at post #123 above. I haven't been able to add an Echo to the group. See also Alexa enabled groups.

EDIT: I just found that you can only add an Echo to a group using the iPhone app, not on the alexa.amazon.com website. I would guess the Android app will work as well. I created a group including an Echo and the lights in the room and was able to say "Alexa, turn the lights off" and they all were turned off.
                            Last edited by randy; January 28, 2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              No, voice command names need to be unique. I understand you can do what you want with groups, though I haven't gotten that to work yet either. Look at post #123 above. I haven't been able to add an Echo to the group. See also Alexa enabled groups.

EDIT: I just found that you can only add an Echo to a group using the iPhone app, not on the alexa.amazon.com website. I would guess the Android app will work as well. I created a group including an Echo and the lights in the room and was able to say "Alexa, turn the lights off" and they all were turned off.
                              It worked adding it through Andriod. Thanks. Going between the phone and the web on the Alexa app changes the results. They need to sync that up. I am still not getting what I want yet. I'll have to work at it a bit.

Comment

I've just written a quick and dirty web page to show the devices in HS that are configured for voice control and also what I think the suggested commands should be for those devices. Seems to be fairly accurate for me but I'm not all that sure of the inner workings of Alexa right at the minute.

If you wanted to use it then you would just drop it in your HTML directory and go to it from HS.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X