Plugin underway for 3M-50 and other RadioThermostat WiFi Thermostats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin underway for 3M-50 and other RadioThermostat WiFi Thermostats

All, I'm actively working on a plugin to control the Filtrete 3M-50 WiFi thermostat (the one sold at Home Depot), which is a rebranded RadioThermostat CT50. My plugin should also be able to control the CT30 and CT80 with the WiFi USNAP module.

I'm looking for input from the community as to what you would like to see in this plugin. I'm currently aiming for functionality similar to what we have with the ZWave Thermostat plugin, though I think I'll have it set up as a "Master" plugin that manages all compatible thermostats rather than simply creating discrete devices.

By going with the "master" method I should be able to incorporate auto-discovery of thermostats, simplifying configuration. Any other suggestions you guys have would be great! I have a good start on the plugin now and I'm hoping to have something to test in the coming weeks.

-reid
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

A few weeks ago I installed a Honeywell TH8320ZW1007/U Z-Wave Enabled Programmable Thermostat and it is working great.

I've used Trane in the past and the Honeywell is "almost the same". The one thing I like about the Trane and Honeywell is the fan has a CIRC mode which I use most of the time for heat and cool, seems to even out the temperature overall.

However Z-Wave thermostat device type does not recognize the setting but it does report fan mode of 6, I can only set the fan to ON/AUTO with HomeSeer. I've played around with a couple of other plug-ins and they also do not support the CIRC fan mode. Will yours? I would like to help if I can...

One other thing I would like to see is a programmable section for the thermostat instead of having to use events to control wake/away/return/sleep times.

Comment

[QUOTE=jimbrandon;996319One other thing I would like to see is a programmable section for the thermostat instead of having to use events to control wake/away/return/sleep times.[/QUOTE]This plugin is for RS232 tstats not Z-Wave.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by jimbrandon View Post
        A few weeks ago I installed a Honeywell TH8320ZW1007/U Z-Wave Enabled Programmable Thermostat and it is working great.

I've used Trane in the past and the Honeywell is "almost the same". The one thing I like about the Trane and Honeywell is the fan has a CIRC mode which I use most of the time for heat and cool, seems to even out the temperature overall.

However Z-Wave thermostat device type does not recognize the setting but it does report fan mode of 6, I can only set the fan to ON/AUTO with HomeSeer. I've played around with a couple of other plug-ins and they also do not support the CIRC fan mode. Will yours? I would like to help if I can...

One other thing I would like to see is a programmable section for the thermostat instead of having to use events to control wake/away/return/sleep times.
        I am using the same thermostats. I am doing my own version of circ mode using HomeSeer. I have a few temperature sensors, and when there is two degrees or more of difference between them, I set the fan mode to on. Once it's one degree or less, I set the fan mode back to auto.

Comment

@joegr, I like the idea of using HS to simulate circ mode. I can probably get this into the plugin as well, using the temp readings on the thermostats themselves.
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I just installed a 3M-50 in my pole barn connected to a propane gas heater and came here looking to see if anyone was doing anything with Homeseer and these thermostats. I'm glad to see there may soon be a plug-in.

I'm planning to buy a CT80 for my house because I want to control my HVAC mounted humidifier. I will have two different models in two different building with two different missions. My pole barn thermostat job is keep stuff from freezing in the winter (set at 35 F), allow me to room the area before I go out there to work, and make sure the heater resets back to 35 F when I leave for day. The CT80 in the house will have the normal house thermostat duties as well as controlling the humidifer.

Will your plug-in allow me to independantly control two thermostats in two different buildings? Do you plan to support setting the humidifier settings? I also plan to use HSTouch to control these thermostats.

Looking forward to trying out the plug-in.

George

Comment

Yes, I'm writing the plugin so it will control multiple thermostats, as long as they're reachable on the network. I haven't seen the humidifier settings. I'll have to look into that. Is that specific to the CT80?

Comment

That's funny then... The Interface page reports ZWave Thermostat Status and is using the HSPI_ZWAVETHERM.DLL.

I guess I am just a stupid old man...

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                This plugin is for RS232 tstats not Z-Wave.

Comment

The joy of using the CIRC mode on the Trane (or Honeywell) is you will never see more than a degree of difference in room temperature. We use to notice the cool/warm feeling just before the heat/air cycled, with the CIRC mode we do not notice the feeling.

The only reason I move from the Trane XL800 to the Honeywell was for remote communication...

Your idea of using an event is a great idea and should work as long as you can actually see a difference in temperature. I've not graphed (Honeywell or Trane) mine but looking through the logs and watching the status I never see it waver from the set temperature. It may vary in tents of a degree which I cannot see.
                  Originally posted by joegr View Post
                  I am using the same thermostats. I am doing my own version of circ mode using HomeSeer. I have a few temperature sensors, and when there is two degrees or more of difference between them, I set the fan mode to on. Once it's one degree or less, I set the fan mode back to auto.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
                    Yes, I'm writing the plugin so it will control multiple thermostats, as long as they're reachable on the network. I haven't seen the humidifier settings. I'll have to look into that. Is that specific to the CT80?
                    The CT80 has a humidity sensor so it can control an external humidifier and/or dehumidifier.

The settings are described in the CT80 operation manual (page 10)

http://radiothermostat.com/documents...on-20mar09.pdf

I haven't ordered the CT80 yet. I want to see how my 3M-50 holds up before spending the money for the more expensive unit. I would consider controlling the humidifier/de-humidifier settings a nice feature but displaying the humidity value via Homeseer a would be a more desired feature.

George

Comment

Ok, I'll take a look. Since I'm planning on supporting the CT-30, CT-50 (3M-50), and CT-80 anyway it should be trivial to include humidity settings. Unfortunately I don't have a CT-80 to test with as they're a little pricey for me.

Comment

I find it very interesting that when someone challenges you (Rupp) their post disappear...

You are very outspoken, belligerent and not always correct in your assumptions as to what someone is trying to explain in their posts.

Maybe it is time you step down and let someone else moderate this message board. I for one am tired of fiddling with you and you temperament. I wish there was another home automations software even comparable to HomeSeer - I'd be there in a flash just to be rid of you.

You can delete my account with HomeSeer, I will not be back and I am sure you will delete this post also...

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        This plugin is for RS232 tstats not Z-Wave.

Comment

Wow, I have no idea what you are talking about. Where was I challenged? I was simply indicating that this thread was about RS232 thermostats and not Z-Wave attempting to keep yet another thread from being redirected. Sorry if you were offended.
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by jimbrandon View Post
                            I find it very interesting that when someone challenges you (Rupp) their post disappear...

You are very outspoken, belligerent and not always correct in your assumptions as to what someone is trying to explain in their posts.

Maybe it is time you step down and let someone else moderate this message board. I for one am tired of fiddling with you and you temperament. I wish there was another home automations software even comparable to HomeSeer - I'd be there in a flash just to be rid of you.

You can delete my account with HomeSeer, I will not be back and I am sure you will delete this post also...
                            While I do disagree with Rupp's support style, the board has benefited from his presence here over the years. I'd encourage you to stay as there are hundreds of other users available to help.
                            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Hey guys, can we please try to keep this thread on track? I'm pretty surprised and have no idea where the Rupp-bashing came into play, but I'd really like to keep this discussion to the development of a WiFi thermostat plugin.

I think there may just be a simple misunderstanding - I'm developing a plugin for the RadioThermostat WiFi thermostats. A couple others were offering suggestions of features they'd like to see that also are present in other thermostat plugins.

Now that that's out of the way let's move forward! I'm excited to get this plugin done and then start working on others.

Comment

Working...
                              X