Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tap into furnace to sense "call for heat"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tap into furnace to sense "call for heat"?

Does anyone know of any "best practices" with regards to trying to tap into a standard forced-air gas furnace to pick up either a dry contact or a 24VAC contact (I can probably scare up a 24VAC relay to produce the dry contact), so I can know when the thermostat calls for heat?

Thanks,
    Chris

What are you using as a T-stat? Perhaps you can use a DS10 in your thermostat.

Rob
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

On my furnace (Carrier 8500), the controller board has a terminal for a humidifier. This terminal is +24V when the burner is ON (t-stat calling for heat). I have an x10 powerflash module hooked up to this terminal. I have been using it for 4 years.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

If your controller board doesn't have an output when the furnace is running, then another way to accomplish this is to use a sail switch in the return duct.

A sail switch is a micro switch with a wide flap on it. The "flap" part mounts in the duct work while the switch part mounts on the outside of the duct. When the furnace blower starts up (presumably because it has been asked to by the thermostat), the sail switch moves because of the air movement in the duct, thereby activating the switch.

Armand

Comment

I do almost the same as Steve. I put a UPB DIO32 module in parallel with the call for Heat on my Furnace. Every time I get a call, my module updates HS.

I find that more accurate than polling my T-stats (Z-Wave). It's not Z-Wave's fault. I just bought Cheap T-stats...so they have to be polled.

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmandGirard View Post
            If your controller board doesn't have an output when the furnace is running, then another way to accomplish this is to use a sail switch in the return duct.

A sail switch is a micro switch with a wide flap on it. The "flap" part mounts in the duct work while the switch part mounts on the outside of the duct. When the furnace blower starts up (presumably because it has been asked to by the thermostat), the sail switch moves because of the air movement in the duct, thereby activating the switch.

Armand
            This will work but it indicates when the fan is on, not when the burner is on. My furnace fan runs for 5 minutes or more after the burner turns off. I also often run the fan to circulate air throughout the house. So if the intent is to measure the total time per day or month the burner/heat is ON, then I would not use this approach.

Steve Q
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

How I do this......

I use two power flash modules. One with a cr magnetics current sensor for when the blower motor comes on. A second with contact closure - when the gas valve gets the 24VAC - I have a 24VAC relay across the gas valve terminals and the dry contacts to the power flash module.
              I have a lamp module with a incandescent night light plugged into it. When the power flash for the gas valve fires the the lamp module turns on showing the burner is on. I have a event that then writes to a spreadsheet and also saves it as a html in HomeSeer directory which I can view on my HomeSeer website.

Burner OFF 6:31:15 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner ON 7:22:07 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner OFF 7:54:48 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner ON 8:23:32 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner OFF 8:40:03 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner ON 9:16:32 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner OFF 9:32:31 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner ON 10:15:31 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner OFF 10:31:03 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner ON 11:20:31 AM 1/13/2012
              Burner OFF 11:36:03 AM 1/13/2012

Blower ON 7:26:30 AM 1/13/2012
              Blower OFF 8:10:54 AM 1/13/2012
              Blower ON 8:26:37 AM 1/13/2012
              Blower OFF 8:54:05 AM 1/13/2012
              Blower ON 9:20:08 AM 1/13/2012
              Blower OFF 9:46:24 AM 1/13/2012
              Blower ON 10:19:29 AM 1/13/2012
              Blower OFF 10:45:00 AM 1/13/2012
              Blower ON 11:24:46 AM 1/13/2012
              Blower OFF 11:50:07 AM 1/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by X10joe View Post
                I use two power flash modules. One with a cr magnetics current sensor for when the blower motor comes on. A second with contact closure - when the gas valve gets the 24VAC - I have a 24VAC relay across the gas valve terminals and the dry contacts to the power flash module.
                I have a lamp module with a incandescent night light plugged into it. When the power flash for the gas valve fires the the lamp module turns on showing the burner is on. I have a event that then writes to a spreadsheet and also saves it as a html in HomeSeer directory which I can view on my HomeSeer website.

Burner OFF 6:31:15 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner ON 7:22:07 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner OFF 7:54:48 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner ON 8:23:32 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner OFF 8:40:03 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner ON 9:16:32 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner OFF 9:32:31 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner ON 10:15:31 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner OFF 10:31:03 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner ON 11:20:31 AM 1/13/2012
                Burner OFF 11:36:03 AM 1/13/2012

Blower ON 7:26:30 AM 1/13/2012
                Blower OFF 8:10:54 AM 1/13/2012
                Blower ON 8:26:37 AM 1/13/2012
                Blower OFF 8:54:05 AM 1/13/2012
                Blower ON 9:20:08 AM 1/13/2012
                Blower OFF 9:46:24 AM 1/13/2012
                Blower ON 10:19:29 AM 1/13/2012
                Blower OFF 10:45:00 AM 1/13/2012
                Blower ON 11:24:46 AM 1/13/2012
                Blower OFF 11:50:07 AM 1/13/2012
                Can you share your event that writes your data to a spreadsheet?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The furnace is a 30-year-old Carrier, model number 397haw036100, but I can't find any manuals online for it. The thermostats are CT30-type, which don't report whether the thermostat is calling for heat. As Dan noted, even though it's not as accurate to poll than it is to receive an interrupt, with a CT30 you either need to pay $40 for a firmware upgrade or you have to tap into the furnace to know when the thermostat calls for heat.

A DS10 at the thermostat isn't practical, and I was hoping there might be a couple terminals in a typical furnace that I could tap into, but sticking a 24VAC relay inside the furnace would be fine; putting a relay in parallel with the gas valve sounds like it would be a good enough place as any. One just has to make sure not do anything to compromise the reliability of the valve.

Thanks,
                  Chris

Comment

This is one of the four events is use. 2 for burner (ON)(Off), and two for blower (On)(Off).

BurnerON.txt

PHP Code:
                    sub main(sVal)
                    Dim fso,f1
                    Const OpenFileForReading 1
                    Const OpenFileForWriting 2
                    Const OpenFileForAppending 8
                    Dim lineval
                    lineval 

Set fso 
                    CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set file fso.OpenTextFile("C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html\HVAC\BurnerStatus.ini"1)

'Read file contents
                            lineval = file.ReadLine()

'
                    Close file
                           file
                    .Close

'*****Update HVACstatus.ini*****

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                        Set file = fso.OpenTextFile("C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html\HVAC\BurnerStatus.ini", 2,True)
                            file.WriteLine  (lineval + 1)
                        file.Close

'
                    *****use new line # from ini to write new data to BurnerStatus1.xls****

Set objExcel CreateObject("Excel.Application")

objExcel.Visible False        
                            Set objWorkbook 
                    objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html\HVAC\BurnerStatus1.xls")

'''objExcel.Workbooks.Add
                            objExcel.DisplayAlerts = False
                            objExcel.Cells(lineval, 1).Value = "Burner"
                            objExcel.Cells(lineval, 2).Value = "ON"
                            objExcel.Cells(lineval, 3).Value = time()
                            objExcel.Cells(lineval, 4).Value = date()
                            objExcel.Workbooks(1).Save 
                            objExcel.Workbooks(1).SaveAs "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html\HVAC\BurnerStatus.htm", 44
                            objExcel.Workbooks.Close 
                            '
                    file.Close
                            objExcel
                    .Quit

end sub 

Comment

Joe, Thanks for sharing your script. I also use Excel to analyze my Furnace ON/OFF times. I use an approach similar to yours. I have a script that Homeseer runs to save all furnace ON/OFF data to a .txt file for each month. I append the new data to the file each time ths status of the furnace changes.

To analyze the data, I have created an Excel macro which imports the .txt data file and does the analysis. I run the macro whenever I want to look at the data.

Your approach appears to open and close Excel for each data point. My computer would not like this!

Steve Q

Comment

hobby boards makes (or use to make) an HVAC monitor sensor device that took the 24 VAC outputs and sent them over a 1 wire bus.. you could then see when the various terminals on the furnace are active or not.. you could also put a pIR sensor inside that would turn on when the flame is present.
                        -Christopher
                        PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Christopher, I like the idea of using a PIR to detect the furnace burner. Very clever! Do you think it would turn OFF, or would the furnace have to cool down completely before it turned OFF.

Steve Q

Comment

I've got the reed switch for a DS10 stuck to the top of the burner relay on the boiler PCB. The magnetism from the coil in the relay brings in the reed switch.

Comment

So, what I ended up doing was to put an opto input across the C and W to sense when the thermostat calls for heat. This is a building that's not occupied all the time (it's the wife's store), so I also put an opto input across C and pin 5 on the gas valve, to sense when the gas valve itself kicks on.

Thanks,
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X