This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New User Question

Hi- I just downloaded a trial of Homeseer and your plug-in last night and am in the process of testing out announcements with embedded variables. I do not know any scripting but I used examples from the message board to create a test script (below). Initially I was able to load a variable called "say" with the value from a variable device using either of two statements. I was then able to construct a sentance using 3 seperate hs.speak statements to to speak the sentance in 3 parts (text, variable, text). This all worked fine. The final step was to use your plug-in to embed the variable into a single hs.speak statement following the examples in your docs. I tried each of the three statements commented out below but none of them worked so I still must be missing something. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

sub main()
    Dim Say ' Text to speak

'say=hs.DeviceValueByName("JDS Pump")
    say=hs.DeviceValue("[20")

hs.speak "the pump has operated"
    hs.speak say
    hs.speak "times so far today"

'hs.speak "the pump has operated $"[20" times today"
    'hs.speak "the pump has operated $"JDS Pump" times today"
    'hs.speak "the pump has operated $"say" times today"

end sub

I'm not in front of my HS PC right now, but try:

hs.speak "the pump has operated " & say & "times today"

Let us know...
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Rob-

Definitely a step in the right direction! It works with the say variable except for the fact that it wants to spell out the word operated instead of say it!? I still can't use the variable device directly as in $[20 or $JDS Pump. At least your suggestion got everything into a single hs.speak statement!

Thanks,

-Mike

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Maliga:
        Rob-

Definitely a step in the right direction! It works with the say variable except for the fact that it wants to spell out the word operated instead of say it!? I still can't use the variable device directly as in $[20 or $JDS Pump. At least your suggestion got everything into a single hs.speak statement!

Thanks,

-Mike <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure there is a space at the end of 'operated' and before 'times'

My code I posted above is wrong! Sorry about that!

Comment

And make sure that the word 'say' does NOT have any quotes around it. g

Comment

And you almost got the dynamic substitution correct.
            Instead of: <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">hs.speak "the pump has operated $"[20" times today" </pre>
            Try: <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">hs.speak "the pump has operated $[20 times today" </pre>
            Notice the missing ""'s. Page 5 of the documentation, 2nd example.

George

Comment

Thanks Rob, I did it try with and without spacing.

George- I tried the dynamic substitution using hs.speak "The pump has operated $[20 times today" but it just says the words and skips the variable as if it isn't even there.

-Mike

Comment

Rob-

Just did another test changing the spaces and this time it worked. I must not have put them in the right places on my first test. Now how do I insert a shrt pause after the variable so the sentance sounds more natural? (It kind of runs together now)

-Mike

Comment

Mike,

I see it in the code.. The $ substitution variables take whatever is in the device string and you are using device values. Sorry.

So make it see more natural insert a comma. Something like:

hs.speak "the pump has operated "&say&", times today"

Comment

Georg-
                    Not sure I understand the device string vs device value thing but the variables are loaded from the JDS plug-in so I don't think it is something I can control. I guess dynamic substitution is not an option for these variables. Using the other method, I tried your comma example and got the sentance to sound good. Next question: from within the script, how do I switch to a different voice? My default is ATT Audry but what if I want the pump status announcements to be spoken by Mike or Crystal?

Comment

Glad you got it working, Mike...

You pose an interesting question on how to switch voices - I'll be watching for a reply from some of the experts - I would be interested in this as well.

Comment

Switching voices is not implemented yet but it is coming. I just have to work a little with Rick and/or Rich on the proper SAPI calls to cause the voice to switch. They've been busy lately as have I and I did not want to bother them unless I was behind a keyboard and ready to code and test.

G

Comment

Mike,

I'll take a look and see if I can add something that handles device values as well. G

Comment

Working...
                          X