Pool Temperature Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool Temperature Gauge

Has anyone come up with a solution to check temperature of pool through homeseer? I used to have the Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer. Used it through RFX Com. It broke...

I want a more reliable way to check pool temp through homeseer.

Thanks in advance.

We use an Insteon EZIO8SA. We use a standard pool temp sensor in the pipe from the pool to the pump. Then have Homeseer poll the EZIO8SA for readings. We also use the EZIO8SA to control the relays for the pumps and valves. There is a bit of math involved to get the conversion from sensor to actual temperature. It has been reliable, I usually end up resetting the unit once a season.
    We are in the process of designing and certifying a new general purpose controller. It will use the same sensor to get the pool temp.

Comment

Great thanks!

I do not have any Insteon devices currently. My network primarily consists of zwave and gc devices. Do I have to buy a plugin using this Insteon device?

When are you planning having a controller out?

Comment

I would think you could use anything which can read a analog in data and send it back to Homeseer. We use insteon as that is the major system in our house. The hard part is converting the resistance of the temp sensor to an actual temperature. They are a non linear inverted scale from resistance to Kalvin.

'Convert to Temp of Pool
        AnalogVoltDataPool = (TempPool / 300)
        OHMSPool = AnalogVoltDataPool/((24-AnalogVoltDataPool)/330000)
        TempKPool = (1/((1/298.5)+(1/3400*(log(OHMSPool/10000)))))
        TempCPool = (TempKPool-273.15)
        TempCPool = Round(TempCPool,1)
        TempFPool = ((TempCPool*(9/5))+32)
        TempFPool = Round(TempFPool,1)

We expect the Kickstarter to be the end of April or early May. I have the first prototype test unit running on my desk. ( high voltage switching, analog and digital input, low voltage switching, and manual override, WiFi connected)

Comment

Sweet, please post something here so I know it is available.

Comment

Poolsender

I'm using a Poolsender 30.3133 it goes through TFA protocol in RFXCOM
            Its a floating bobber with a readout on top.
            works on 433 mhz
            Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
            | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
            Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
            BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by BlairG View Post
              I'm using a Poolsender 30.3133 it goes through TFA protocol in RFXCOM

Its a floating bobber with a readout on top.

works on 433 mhz

Nice! Easy enough.
              Where did you get it? Did a search and only German sites came up.

Sent from my iPhone
              Tom
              baby steps...starting again with HS3
              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

HS used to carry a floating 433MHz temp sensor, but I don't see it any more. A quick search on Amazon shows several types ranging from $20 -$50 or so. I'd be curious if anyone has experience with any of these. I'd read previously about some leaking after a while due to e.g. sun and chlorine.
                All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

I have used Oregon Scientific and other generic floating thermometer. But none of the brands listed in Amazon.

They all failed due to water Ingress eventually eroding the internal circuits.

The Oregon Scientific latest considerable longer but the case and seal was dramatically affected by the Sun and chlorine which resulted water ingress and the end of it.

The other issue was they would end up in the skimmer and thus report higher temperatures as they would if under a pool cover.

So I not not recommend or used them for some time.

Like the second post from @JHughes, I have an a standard pool temp sensor in the piping for the pool heater which used a Dallas One Wire DS18B20 but it isn't integrated currently

Comment

I had a couple of the OS floating sensors. With the first one, half of one of the numbers in the display died. So I bought a second one. With this one, much like the previous, the plastic screen went really smoky and the numbers are hard to see. Other than that, they're ok. I might see if I can replace the screen lens. The nice thing about them is you can get a sense of the temperature without looking at HS. I'd be open to the ones posted here - just not sure that there would be a problem adding them to HS.

Robert
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Poolsender

Came from the netherlands

Cost like 20 euros
                      Blair

Comment

Do you have a link to the poolsender? I am looking for it as well. How long have you had it? Is it showing signs of wear? My oregon scientific lasted about a year.

Comment

Poolsender

Here is a link to the website.

The unit is just the floating sender, no display for inside your house. It runs through the TFA protocol on the RFXCOM.

Unit seems pretty sturdy built. I have a saltwater pool so I hope it lasts.
                          Blair

Comment

Doesn't look like they ship to Canada or the U.S.
                            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                              Doesn't look like they ship to Canada or the U.S.
                              They did last month. Wasn't cheap, wish I'd ordered a couple. Email them. They speak English
                              Blair

Comment

Working...
                              X