www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Thermostat / HVAC Plug-ins > Thermostat / HVAC Discussion

Old July 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

CT30 Important Information

Please see the product page for some important details about installing and using the CT30 Z-Wave thermostat. The page is here:

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Prod...&CategoryId=67

When adding this thermostat to the network, it will operate in 2 different modes, depending on the power supplied:

1) If the unit has the C wire connected (uses line power) and it is added to the network, it will NOT use beaming and will stay awake at all times. This means it can be controlled with older Z-Wave interfaces (one that does support beaming, Zensys firmware 4.27 or earlier) and it will participate in routing (will realy Z-wave commands).

2) If the unit is running on batteries and is added to the network, it will use beaming for communications. The controller must have Zensys firmware 5.02 or later or 4.51 or later. The thermostat will not relay z-wave commands in this mode.

website | products | support | youtube
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Seer Deluxe

So my take-away from this would be that if we added the thermostat when it was on battery, but subsequently added a C-Wire, we should remove it from the network and re-add it?

This sounds like really good news because one of my CT30s hasn't had great reliability with beaming.
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:05 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Yes, you will need to delete it and re-add it to the network with the C wire connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott12v View Post
So my take-away from this would be that if we added the thermostat when it was on battery, but subsequently added a C-Wire, we should remove it from the network and re-add it?

This sounds like really good news because one of my CT30s hasn't had great reliability with beaming.
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Seer Master

will this work with low voltage? i thought only battery power?
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Seer Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs View Post
will this work with low voltage? i thought only battery power?
If you have a "C" wire, or are able to run one from your heater to thermostat, then it will use that power, with battery only for backup.
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Seer Master

so this 2gig unit will run on low voltage?
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs View Post
so this 2gig unit will run on low voltage?
If by "low voltage" you mean the voltage supplied on the "C" wire from the heater, then the answer is yes. Just do a Google search on "c wire thermostat" and you'll get plenty of information.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:41 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

It will also work with a DC power adapter, 12v is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualPanther View Post
If by "low voltage" you mean the voltage supplied on the "C" wire from the heater, then the answer is yes. Just do a Google search on "c wire thermostat" and you'll get plenty of information.
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM
OverSeer

I'd originally added the CT30 on battery power to my network.
Since then, I'd connected a power supply and today, removed and re-added the Stat to the network (per the information here in post 1).
This time, HS has created three devices:
Z-Wave Thermostat
Z-Wave Thermostat Battery
Z-Wave Thermostat Temperature
Previously, I'd only had the first device.
The third, "Thermostat Temperature" is updating with the current temperature, as is the first device.
Question re: the second device "Thermostat Battery". I was under the impression that this thermostat does not report battery status. Can I expect this to be working?
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Seer Master

Z-Wave Logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadenut View Post
I'd originally added the CT30 on battery power to my network.
Since then, I'd connected a power supply and today, removed and re-added the Stat to the network (per the information here in post 1).
This time, HS has created three devices:
Z-Wave Thermostat
Z-Wave Thermostat Battery
Z-Wave Thermostat Temperature
Previously, I'd only had the first device.
The third, "Thermostat Temperature" is updating with the current temperature, as is the first device.
Question re: the second device "Thermostat Battery". I was under the impression that this thermostat does not report battery status. Can I expect this to be working?
One of my thermostats (both CT30) reports battery level, while the other - does not. I've asked about this on forum and was told that the one that does, has newer firmware. I asked where and how could I get and install the new firmware on the other thermostat. That was probably six month ago. Still no answer...
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM
OverSeer

What might concern me about the current battery level reporting 100% is that the thermostat ran on these batteries for nearly a month and was beginning to exhibit communication problems before I connected the PS. It ought to be reporting something less than 100%. Perhaps time will tell.

I think you'll find the firmware won't be field upgradable.
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualPanther View Post
One of my thermostats (both CT30) reports battery level, while the other - does not. I've asked about this on forum and was told that the one that does, has newer firmware. I asked where and how could I get and install the new firmware on the other thermostat. That was probably six month ago. Still no answer...
Saw in another thread where 2Gig responded that the firmware is not upgradeable in the CT30. That's really too bad because I'm pretty certain all these issues we're having with them are firmware related.
Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Seer Master

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidfo View Post
Saw in another thread where 2Gig responded that the firmware is not upgradeable in the CT30. That's really too bad because I'm pretty certain all these issues we're having with them are firmware related.
I agree. Regardless of ratings and cheap price, I'd never buy this thermostat again.
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM
Seer Deluxe

Wait, what? Retrofitting a C wire requires removing and re-adding to increase reliability? This is news to me...

So how can I tell from the who am I page whether or not it's in beaming-only mode? All three of my thermostats look like the following. Obviously, there's a reference to "Beam 1000" in there, but that doesn't imply anything.

26 Z-Wave Interface Washitsu Thermostat Control 0:8:06 2GIG 1 H FF H True
(Beam 1000)
2.78 (ZDK Version 5.02 Patch 3) App: 4.9 Excellent (19) 40.0Kbps Basic: ROUTING SLAVE
Generic: THERMOSTAT

Chris
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Seer Master

Very interesting! Of my 3 thermostats, only one of them references (Beam 1000). The rest just say True in the listener field. Not surprisingly the one that says Beam 1000 is also the one that doesn't reliably poll. I'm sure I had that on batteries for testing before I installed it. I use a C wire on all three.

My take on this is that one of my stats and all of yours are in beaming mode, and should be removed and re-added while on the C wire.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
Seer Master

Thumbs down

Quote:
Very interesting! Of my 3 thermostats, only one of them references (Beam 1000). The rest just say True in the listener field. Not surprisingly the one that says Beam 1000 is also the one that doesn't reliably poll. I'm sure I had that on batteries for testing before I installed it. I use a C wire on all three.

My take on this is that one of my stats and all of yours are in beaming mode, and should be removed and re-added while on the C wire.
I did that with mine. Even took the batteries out before adding it again in HS. It polls OK, until it doesn't. The only thing that fixes the connection between the tstat and HS is pressing reset button on thermostat. Of course, this requires me to be home! I absolutely hate these things and would not recommend them to anyone.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
Seer Master

VirtualPanther, you just need an event that fires off a reset-button-pusher.

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't recommend these thermostats either. I bought them because of the price and they've given me nothing but trouble. I saw on the HST store that they offer a firmware update service for them now for $40. I think if I were to spend more money on thermostats at this point I'd buy a different stat.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

I have 3 of these in my home and they are working fine, so I am not sure what issues there are.

Note that the stat will be in battery mode if you include it to the network when its running on batteries (will require beaming to wake it up).

If you add it to the network when its powered by the C wire, then it will be in line mode and act as a repeater and will always be awake.

If you are running on batteries and its in line mode, the batteries will be dead in a couple of days so you will know its in the wrong mode.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
VirtualPanther, you just need an event that fires off a reset-button-pusher.
Only problem is, after you hit the reset button, the heating mode switches to "off". So, you'll need a reset-button-and-reenable-heating-mode-pusher. ;-)

Quote:
I saw on the HST store that they offer a firmware update service for them now for $40. I think if I were to spend more money on thermostats at this point I'd buy a different stat.
The only thing of relevance that's fixed with the firmware is the thermostat's state is being reported now. It was a strange decision not to include it in the first place -- it was reportedly to conserve battery power, but if you don't have a C wire your thermostat is only going to last a month or two on batteries anyway. Radiothermostat's Wifi U-SNAP module doesn't even work properly without a C wire. (Whether or not it works properly in general is open for debate.)

Personally, I don't need the firmware upgrade because I worked around it by building up a relay box that sits between the thermostats and the heating units (I have a gas furnace and a pellet stove insert).

I'm not going to risk messing up my HS setup by removing thermostats and trying to figure out how to add them again while connected to a C wire (I don't have a Z troller) until someone can confirm that "(Beam 1000)" means that it was initially added in "unreliable mode".
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
I have 3 of these in my home and they are working fine, so I am not sure what issues there are.
HS is a black box to the outside world. You don't have any problems with them because it's your code, so you know how it behaves. You know that you're supposed to connect a C wire before you mate the thermostats, which is why you're not seeing any problems.

I don't have a Z-troller, so every time I add a Z-Wave device, I bring it close to the USB interface like I'm supposed to, then deploy the device, and optimize. I'm pretty sure this is the same thing I did with the thermostats when I installed them a year ago, because I didn't know there was a permanent difference based on how they were initially added to HS. My guess is I put batteries in them, brought them close to the USB interface, mated them, then installed them on the wall and connected the C wire. I've had nothing but problems with them since (it got so bad that it's the primary reason why I was actually considering Premise), but this is the first I've heard of this difference.

So what does your "who am I" output look like for your 2GIG thermostat?