www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Thermostat / HVAC Plug-ins > Thermostat / HVAC Discussion

Old January 11th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Seer Master

Trane Zwave

I found the Trane 524, and the 624. Anybody know the difference between them. I donít think either has battery backup. Not sure if thatís important, as I hardly ever lose power. Anybody know anything about them? The question that nags me, is how to ignore the internal temp sensor? I assume you can.?
Old January 11th, 2018, 11:28 PM
Seer Master

I think the 624 is WIFI.
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:02 AM
OverSeer

no... 624 is z-wave but has the humidity child/display device and I think supports an external sensor. - it's been a while since I installed mine.
Works great with HS3

Robert
HS3PRO 3.0.0.435 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dot, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:55 PM
Seer Master

ok, thanks for the info!
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tome10 View Post
I found the Trane 524, and the 624. Anybody know the difference between them. I donít think either has battery backup. Not sure if thatís important, as I hardly ever lose power. Anybody know anything about them? The question that nags me, is how to ignore the internal temp sensor? I assume you can.?
No battery backup in my 624 - Communicates well with all my zwave - BUT it is not a modulating thermostat.
Does have accessory option for remote temperature or humidifier.
Plugins:Z Wave 3.0.1.55, HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208, HS3Touch, HS3Touch IOS, Z-Net, SceneMaster, XBMC, Sonos, Media Controller, Envisalink (52 Virtual nodes), JowiHue, EasyTrigger, Liftmaster MyQ, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLRadar, Pushover

Devices:Cooper RF9540, Cooper Scene, Yale Locks, Sonos, Phillips Hue and Lux, DSC, Somfy Blinds
Old January 14th, 2018, 12:07 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519zwave View Post
BUT it is not a modulating thermostat.

I don't think that there is any Z-Wave thermostat that can work with inverters. I myself am stuck controlling my heat pumps manually. Fortunately I only use them for AC and I live in a heating dominated climate so it doesn't drive me up the wall not being able to automate them.
Old January 14th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Seer Master

Modulating Thermostat is what you use for Heat Pumps? I presume.
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Seer Master

What does the wiring look like on a modulating tstat? I searched a little, but couldnít find any wiring diagrams.
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Modulating Thermostat is what you use for Heat Pumps? I presume.
Or for an actual modulating furnace. But trane's modulating stat won't be a wave slave - it wants to be the controller
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Seer Master

Iím still trying to figure out if my Lennox system with its tstat communicating to a Lennox Control Board (serial bus) and that is connected to the Carrier furnace and Lennox Condensor via normal wiring isnít actually doing some sort of Modulatung unbeknownst to a couple of HVAC people Iíve had look at it for tstat changeout feasability study. Supposedly I have dual stage heat and single stage cool, nothing fancy. Thereís lots of circuits on that Lennox board to not be doing anything fancy. So, how do you know if you have a modulatung system?
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Iím still trying to figure out if my Lennox system with its tstat communicating to a Lennox Control Board (serial bus) and that is connected to the Carrier furnace and Lennox Condensor via normal wiring isnít actually doing some sort of Modulatung unbeknownst to a couple of HVAC people Iíve had look at it for tstat changeout feasability study. Supposedly I have dual stage heat and single stage cool, nothing fancy. Thereís lots of circuits on that Lennox board to not be doing anything fancy. So, how do you know if you have a modulatung system?
Dual stage is 2 stages - modulating constantly ramps as needed. DC motors appear to modulate as they do take time to come up to speed though....
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:51 PM
OverSeer

Usually modulating blowers are DC as it's easier to control the speed of a DC motor. The furnace can fire at different levels as well. Many heat pumps these days use "inverter" compressors, which are basically just DC compressors where the speed can be easily controlled with high resolution. The next step down the rung in the efficiency ladder of HVAC gear is a multi stage system that can usually run at high or low depending on factors such as the delta between the called for and ambient temperatures, the outside temperature and so on. Where I am many people heat their houses with hot water. The temperature of the water can be controlled by a thermostat that's placed outside, in the shade on the north of the building. For hot water that's all you need and it can easily be retrofitted to older equipment. For a furnace, especially one where the air handler also provides AC, it's much more complicated as you have a blower speed to control. Here personally I heat with hot water, as it's the most cost effective and even heat, and cool with minisplit heat pumps that have inverter compressors. This is the solution I usually recommend in my climate for the average house. The houses that I build or retrofit need so little heating and cooling that I usually just install one or maybe two minisplits for everything as they are tight and insulated to the hilt.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 10:32 PM
Seer Master

I was getting an error in the HS Logs saying there was an image missing in the "HS3>HTML>0" So I stuck an image in that location to see what would happen, and apparently it's the Trane Tstat General Purpose Child Device Status Image. Can someone who has this stat look and see what's supposed to be there? It's the left icons in the device manager. I did a search to figure out what the General Purpose child device was for, but I never found anything, so if anybody knows, it'd be appreciated.
Old April 4th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Seer Master

I don't have an image in mine. Just a "0"
Old April 23rd, 2018, 08:24 PM
Seer Master

I keep finding devices using the image I put in that location, so it isn't just the Trane.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 08:32 PM
Seer Master

I'm trying to get the Trane to display one decimal place to HS. I had it working for a couple of minutes by polling the unit, but after I power cycled the unit, it went back to the whole number. I was having trouble with it reporting to HS reliably, which is the reason for starting to poll.
Old April 26th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Seer Master

I think I figured it out. You have to set the one decimal place in the status graphics, and then re-scan the root device. You should have an additional temp sensor device created. I set the polling to one minute so I could see what was going on. Whatever device isn't tracking the temp, you delete that one, and re-scan the root again. In the end, you should have one device tracking the temp with a decimal place, and the other device just reads 0. Note the temp reads whole digit until temp is polled for the first time. Why would I want to go to all this trouble? Calibrating slave sensors to a device that only displays the whole number was ridiculous. If anybody runs across how to adjust the Trane's temp reading via the z-wave parameters please post. I came across a post that indicated it was 143, but I don't think that's it.
Old June 1st, 2018, 12:32 PM
Seer Master

That actually didn't work, it would only report 71.6.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk