This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thecatsandi View Post
    My problem is the DMP panel is Open Collector. ... I am trying to use semicomductors (Transistor)....
    Conventiionally one could use an analog IC with multiple Single-Pole, Single-Throw (SPST) switches such as a 14-pin (four switches) CD4066 and derivatives for about 50 cents/IC.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/1262

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd4066b.pdf

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...=296-2061-5-ND

or just a Field Effect Transitor (FET).

But until such time as HS indicates that the I/O pins of the ADIO-100 have robust protection, I would hesitate to connect the I/O to any other active device that isn't powered from the same power supply or doesn't itself intrinsically provide the needed protection.

For example, you could connect the outputs to a DC-input/ DC-output Solid State Relay (SSR).Typically the voltage drop across SSR outputs device is low enough at small currents that it can bring the transistor collector close enough to ground (= 0) voltage.

SSR's typically provide a good isolation, but even on eBay, cost for each DC-DC SSR is typically $5-$8.

HTH ... Marc

Comment

Could you give us some examples of typical connections to the Digital and Analog Interfaces?

Analog examples:
      Light/ Illumination level (not just on-off)
      Humidity (eg Honeywell HIH series)
      Temperature (Will typically require signal conditioning with ADIO-100: IC's such as LM34/LM35, thermistors, PN semiconductor junctions, Platium Resistance Thermometers (PT-100, PTD, RTD), thermocouples)
      Barometric pressure
      Pressure ( water pressure line, height of fluid in a tank), etc
      Flow rate ( with flow sensor with analog output)
      Distance ( using ultrasonic such as www.maxbotix.com)
      AC voltage (using rectifier and/or other circuitry)
      Current ( using resistor, hall-effect or current transformer)
      Position ( using linear position sensor)
      Frequency (using frequency-voltage converter)
      Audio signal level
      Etc ...

If it can be measured, it can be represented as a voltage.

HTH ... Marc

Comment

Thanks for the info I did not know a chip existed that had multiple "relays" built into it.
        Sure simpler than the transistor I am trying to get to work. For now I may resort to a low draw Single poll relay.

Comment

Thanks for the info I did not know a chip existed that had multiple "relays" built into it.
          Sure simpler than the transistor I am trying to get to work. For now I may resort to a low draw Single poll relay.
          I should have mentioned that one thing I would specifically *not* try to drive directly would be a mechanical relay with a coil. The back emf is notorious for frying transistors. At minimum add protection diodes.

Preferably use an IC relay driver.

For example, Google "uln2003 relay driver " for everything you might need to know -- and then some -- about hex (six drivers per 14-pin DIP IC) relay drivers.

Maxim has octal driver (eight separate relay drivers) but not offered in easily soldered DIP package.
          http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds...22-MAX4825.pdf

HTH ... Marc
          Last edited by hult; August 8, 2011, 03:33 PM. Reason: added part numbers

Comment

Could you give us some examples of typical connections to the Digital and Analog Interfaces?
            Use the analog to digital capability to implement the ULTIMATE Garage Door Monitor!
            --------------------------------------------------
            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

I was looking for how to connect devices. ie relays, transistors, etc.

Comment

Coocoon Tech

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
                Use the analog to digital capability to implement the ULTIMATE Garage Door Monitor!
                I like the website!. I have an old garage door with no rotating shaft. I would need a pulley and "string" to rotate the shaft of the potentiometer.

Comment

Protection and input voltage management

Like others on this thread, I'm concerned about overvoltage and polarity reversal protection. For example, are there internal diodes on all inputs?

I'm sure many of us will also be seeking to monitor voltages other than 5 VDC. For example, many alarm panel outputs are 12VDC. It would be useful for HS to provide recommendations for series resistance values in this situation, or give the necessary information to work Ohm's law directly... And should we target 5v, 7.5v, or 10v on the digi inputs?

Comment

Voltages

Originally posted by HSHawaii View Post
                    Like others on this thread, I'm concerned about overvoltage and polarity reversal protection. For example, are there internal diodes on all inputs?

I'm sure many of us will also be seeking to monitor voltages other than 5 VDC. For example, many alarm panel outputs are 12VDC. It would be useful for HS to provide recommendations for series resistance values in this situation, or give the necessary information to work Ohm's law directly... And should we target 5v, 7.5v, or 10v on the digi inputs?
                    The digital input triggers over 4.3 VDC as far as I can tell.
                    I have a PNP transistor the base is the trigger from the security panel.
                    The Emitter is tied to a ADIO 5V output.
                    The Collector is the output to the ADIO Digital input.
                    There is a ground wire from the security panel board to the ADIO.
                    My panel pulls to ground when triggered.

The voltage output of the securty panel does not matter. If it puts out voltage you will likely need to switch to a NPN transistor.
                    You can also use a 5, 9, 12V relay coil and tie the contacts to +5 and a digital port, but make sure you put a reverse current diode to "absorb" the coil collapse current.

Comment

can this be reprogramed and added to an Ocelot network or is it designed to be only standalone?

can it OUTPUT 0-5 volt signals? such as to drive a motor controller or such?

im with others on giving it ethernet.. give us a choice.. i know some wouldnt want to spend the money.. but sure would be easy to add an XPORT on that board as an option...

I really detest the idea of more serial devices hanging around to troubleshoot and get destroyed in storms..
                      -Christopher
                      PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Can the plugin communicate with the recommended ethernet converter or do I need a software installed on the HS computer, port redirection ?
                        Last edited by jonas.hellgren; August 12, 2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Whe you use the Ethernet converter, it creates a virtual COM port on your PC so the plugins uses a com port as usual.

Originally posted by jonas.hellgren View Post
                          Can the plugin communicate with the recommended ethernet converter or do I need a software installed on the HS computer, port redirection ?
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Is there a USB or Ethernet version coming out soon???

Serial ports are not even installed on many motherboards because virtually nothing uses them anymore (invented over 40 years ago).

Using a similar analogy, I have a nice old AT-286 mouse too but I'm not going to go and buy a $100 converter so I can use it.

Why would you market a device with old communication technology like this?
                            Last edited by smokey1384; August 17, 2011, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey1384 View Post
                              Why would you market a device with old communication technology like this?
                              Because (a) it works reliably and (b) most home automation technology interfaces use serial communications (whether you know it or not). The Aeon Labs USB Z-Stick (for example) is one of the most popular Z-Wave interfaces in the world, yet it's really a COM device with a built-in USB to serial converter. Same goes for the Cooper USB stick, Smarthome Insteon USB PLM's, CM15a, W800USB, etc etc etc.
                              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Because (a) it works reliably and (b) most home automation technology interfaces use serial communications (whether you know it or not). The Aeon Labs USB Z-Stick (for example) is one of the most popular Z-Wave interfaces in the world, yet it's really a COM device with a built-in USB to serial converter. Same goes for the Cooper USB stick, Smarthome Insteon USB PLM's, CM15a, W800USB, etc etc etc.
                                You're missing my point.

Next month when I replace my computer it won't have anywhere to plug it into. This is an outdated device.

And by the sounds of it you have no plans to get one with up to date communications.

So (a) USB is not reliable...wow I didn't know this.

And (b) most automation is older technology. So I should be shopping on Ebay for old stuff?

(Whether you know it or not) Peripherals should, at minimum, be able to plug into and work reliably with any new current computer.

Comment

Working...
                                X