No announcement yet.

Show us your kit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this Scottish talk brings up a problem I'm having... every time I look at the thread title I read "Show us your kilt!" Oh well.

Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
      All this Scottish talk brings up a problem I'm having... every time I look at the thread title I read "Show us your kilt!" Oh well.

Aaron

With that opener, I just have to show you Andy's seat in his Node Zero... specially crafted for kilt wearers...

http://www.thatsphucked.com/image.ax...-kilt-seat.jpg

If you are brave, surf that site...

David
      ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

The world is in trouble with two Ian McIntosh's

And I kinda feel I lifted my kilt showing some of my toys Thankfully I have my geese as watch dogs, a burglar would have a hell of a time trying to tote 100+lb Mac amps across 2.5 acres with geese on their butt
        Over The Hill
        What Hill?
        Where?
        When?
        I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by djblack View Post
          With that opener, I just have to show you Andy's seat in his Node Zero... specially crafted for kilt wearers...

http://www.thatsphucked.com/image.ax...-kilt-seat.jpg

If you are brave, surf that site...

David
          That's too funny!
          Over The Hill
          What Hill?
          Where?
          When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Is there a prize for how far "off topic" a thread can go?

Because I think we should win one for that lot.

Andy

Comment

I hear the price of tea in China has gone up quite a bit! How's the weather over there?
              Plugins:
              BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Back on topic...

OK, my setup is a work in progress (as most are).

Left picture:
                -48 port CAT5E patch panel 90% filled at the moment
                -8 port HUB / Lamp
                -GIGabit switches
                -Battery + a few custom UPB modules
                -Backup external Hard drives (1.5TB worth) ... oh and a hawkeye sensor for testing!
                -Speakers on one of my audio zones (9 in the house...I use this one for testing code)
                -2xDVD Burner (I know, but really, how fast do I care that the server burns it's backups?)
                -Custom built server
                I found that THIS particular DELL case had the BEST air flow...There is one fan in there...power supply and case fan are "whisper" quiet...I've been thinking I might take the case fan out and put it in my HTPC upstairs
                The server has 1TB of hard drive space, TRUE RAID5 (no software crap for me!), 2.13GHz Intel Celeron, 2GIG ram, Gigabit ethernet, 9 sound cards, 32 serial ports, 2 parallel ports, server grade Supermicro motherboard (paid quite a bit for this! It was worth it, ROCK solid AND has two ISA slots!!! I wanted ISA for my Serial Port Exander cards...12 ports each, off E-bay for $10+SH)

The power supply was a FIND! 400W, but it is a LINEAR power supply! I paid for it ($250 or so just for the supply), but MAN gotta LOVE ROCK solid Linear supplies! None of that "switching" garbage for my server!

Right picture, back side of left picture...you can also see the Light on Top screen on the bottom shelf (to be put on a table NEXT to the rack when I build the wall...which you can see the green tape (lower left side of picture) delineating WHERE that wall is going. You can see my Siemans 200A 40 slot power distribution point, all my cable lines (+external phone lines) for the whole house come to this point...which will be put on a cut piece of steel which will be attached NEXT to the server itself (as there's just a bunch of wasted space there right now). This way I can distribute all the phone / ethernet / COAX from ONE point.

Hanging off the rear just above the server there are two power strips that plug into two dedicated circuits set aside just for powering this "room".

One thing you can KIND of see if the whole house surge protection. It's the block box looking thing that you can see in the right picture. It is located about 1' down on the left side of the power distribution point (it appears parallel to 1/2 down the second shelf from the top, on the rack).

The few black COAX you see on the left side of the right picture is the antenna coax (comes down through the future tube), and will eventually be plugged into the COAX distribution point. Right now it just goes to the one COAX in the entertainment room directly. I might get a few baluns as well to "distribute" the antenna out to a few rooms that only have Ethernet in them...where I opted to add COAX later...then saw the baluns...so I might just use those to get the antenna signals over to the TVs in there.

Comments, questions, let me know!

--Dan
                Attached Files
                Last edited by drozwood90; October 17, 2008, 11:37 AM. Reason: (snapy remark for the first sentence!)
                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                  I hear the price of tea in China has gone up quite a bit! How's the weather over there?

Yip. Here's and update for you http://www.attictea.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=37

And the weather...well..ehh..wet as usual
                  Last edited by TechnoJunkie; October 17, 2008, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                    Back on topic...

I wanted ISA for my Serial Port Exander cards...12 ports each,

--Dan

Do you mind if I ask what you do with 24 serial ports?

Oh and..why does every one seem to be in the middle of building work?

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoJunkie View Post
                      This is a hobby and it is DIY.... Nothing is ever completely finished. There is always more that must be done.

Comment

very nice dan! What do you use the patch panel for? is it ALL data, or "other" also?
                        Plugins:
                        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

techno,

24 serial ports really isn't that far off. here's brainstormed list of what i have connected via serial:
                          1. upb controller
                          2. x10 controller
                          3. ncid box
                          4. weather station
                          5. w800
                          6. ab8ss (soon to be ess)
                          7. harman kardan avr 325
                          8. ocelot
                          9. dsc
                          10. alarm panel
                          11. temp08

hmmm, ok, 11 is a lot less than 24, but still, more than what comes on a standard pc!
                          Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                            techno,

24 serial ports really isn't that far off. here's brainstormed list of what i have connected via serial:
                            1. upb controller
                            2. x10 controller
                            3. ncid box
                            4. weather station
                            5. w800
                            6. ab8ss (soon to be ess)
                            7. harman kardan avr 325
                            8. ocelot
                            9. dsc
                            10. alarm panel
                            11. temp08

hmmm, ok, 11 is a lot less than 24, but still, more than what comes on a standard pc!

Fair enough. I've got an 8 port +2 on the Mobo myself but 24.

Comment

Do you mind if I ask what you do with 24 serial ports?
                              No, I don't mind.

This is a new build...so I need to finish off the walls in the basement, so later on (when kids want a play room) I can just finish off the basement.

Ok, I'm done being sarcastic (my above remark!).

24 ports...actually 32ish...

-UPB
                              -X10
                              -Battery
                              -RFID
                              -W800
                              -Custom Room sensorsx10
                              -Custom Wireless Serial Extenders x2
                              -Custom watchdog timer
                              -Custom IR transmitter (for entertainment room)
                              -Custom Blind Controller
                              -When I finish the circuit...Powered Heat Register controller
                              -X10 Firecracker
                              -Interface to the heating control stuff
                              ------------------------
                              Total: 23

The rest are spares, for when I need more!

--Dan
                              Last edited by drozwood90; October 19, 2008, 09:08 PM. Reason: added more
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Well lets see, the HT1 has 4 serial and then I have 4-2 port edge ports, so I have 12 on my HT1, 4 on my weather/email/dns/web server and 8 on my MLServer, not all used at the moment, but plans for all of them
                                Over The Hill
                                What Hill?
                                Where?
                                When?

Comment

Working...
                                X