AcuRite with PC connect and Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AcuRite with PC connect and Homeseer

I am wondering if the AcuRite weather stations with PC connect would work with HS3?

They have a bunch of units with PC Connect that range from $99-$225.
    http://www.acurite.com/environments/...c_connect.html

Originally posted by chris5a View Post
    I am wondering if the AcuRite weather stations with PC connect would work with HS3?

Not sure I have seen these mentioned before but a search would show either way. They look quite nice units in terms of being all in one. Just poking around the website it does appear that the PC Connect software logs to a CSV file every 12 minutes and if this this the case then it is probably possible to read that data into HomeSeer using a script or similar. Cumulus which I uses has a similar approach and I have a script that reads the data into HS devices, there are plenty of example scripts out there for CSV files.

That's likely to be the easiest option albeit you suffer with a 12 minute delay, failing that you would need to look more in depth as to whether they offer any kind of API or .net DLL file (appears the app may be written in .net).

Edit: And it is definitely not supported by Cumulus, http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Supported_Devices says a big no to AcuRite

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      Not sure I have seen these mentioned before but a search would show either way. They look quite nice units in terms of being all in one. Just poking around the website it does appear that the PC Connect software logs to a CSV file every 12 minutes and if this this the case then it is probably possible to read that data into HomeSeer using a script or similar. Cumulus which I uses has a similar approach and I have a script that reads the data into HS devices, there are plenty of example scripts out there for CSV files.

That's likely to be the easiest option albeit you suffer with a 12 minute delay, failing that you would need to look more in depth as to whether they offer any kind of API or .net DLL file (appears the app may be written in .net).

Edit: And it is definitely not supported by Cumulus, http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Supported_Devices says a big no to AcuRite
      I should have mentioned but I had done a search for AcuRite before posting and only came up with 3 results, one old one about RFXCOM, the other decoding RF Signals, and the other didn't have much of a response and no mention of PC Connect option.

I do see that Cumulus lists AcuRite in the unsupported device list but that makes me wonder if it is all units or just the older ones that worked off of RF and not the ones with the PC Connect option which is why I was asking and hoping the information was just outdated.

Comment

I should have mentioned but I had done a search for AcuRite before posting and only came up with 3 results, one old one about RFXCOM, the other decoding RF Signals, and the other didn't have much of a response and no mention of PC Connect option.

I do see that Cumulus lists AcuRite in the unsupported device list but that makes me wonder if it is all units or just the older ones that worked off of RF and not the ones with the PC Connect option which is why I was asking and hoping the information was just outdated.
        I would have a look around the Cumulus forums they are fairly busy and active, when I last used the GUI cumulus I can't remember it said that AcuRite was an option (I now use Cumulus MX). Failing that as I say you can buy one and see about developing some connectivity yourself if it does what it says it does with respect to CSV file logging.

Comment

Costco's pricing on these is amazing:
          http://www.costco.com/AcuRite-5-in-1...100228431.html

They have them in the warehouses currently. I bought one last year and it's great. I would think you can get it integrated with HomeSeer using VISReader software by Valley Info Sys (http://forum1.valleyinfosys.com/index.php). It allows you to report to WeatherBug and Weather Underground so I would imagine you can pull that data back into HomeSeer with one of the weather plugins.

--AJ

Comment

I would have a look around the Cumulus forums they are fairly busy and active, when I last used the GUI cumulus I can't remember it said that AcuRite was an option (I now use Cumulus MX). Failing that as I say you can buy one and see about developing some connectivity yourself if it does what it says it does with respect to CSV file logging.
            I was afraid I would have to be a guinea pig because I am new to HomeSeer and just getting my system built up and looking for things to add and integrate into.

Originally posted by ajgyomber View Post
            Costco's pricing on these is amazing:
            http://www.costco.com/AcuRite-5-in-1...100228431.html

They have them in the warehouses currently. I bought one last year and it's great. I would think you can get it integrated with HomeSeer using VISReader software by Valley Info Sys (http://forum1.valleyinfosys.com/index.php). It allows you to report to WeatherBug and Weather Underground so I would imagine you can pull that data back into HomeSeer with one of the weather plugins.

--AJ
            I looked at Costco's site and they show out of stock but prices are good. I was already headed to Costco later today so will check their warehouse.

That is a good thought to upload to Weather Underground and then back down to HS3 if there isn't another easy way to go straight from the CSV output into HS3 directly.

Comment

I looked at Costco's site and they show out of stock but prices are good. I was already headed to Costco later today so will check their warehouse.
              I didn't see any at the Costco that I went to but I could have missed it as well.

Comment

I was afraid I would have to be a guinea pig because I am new to HomeSeer and just getting my system built up and looking for things to add and integrate into.
                Understandable - we have all been there! Sometimes you just got to take the jump. I've found an example CSV file from one of the software releases here http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/ind...?topic=56992.0 - good news it looks fairly simple and if you do decide to go this route I am sure I or someone can help with getting the data into HS if you just want simple data (charting/historical data becomes a little more complicated and you will probably find it's own software is potentially better than HS at doing this).

Comment

Understandable - we have all been there! Sometimes you just got to take the jump. I've found an example CSV file from one of the software releases here http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/ind...?topic=56992.0 - good news it looks fairly simple and if you do decide to go this route I am sure I or someone can help with getting the data into HS if you just want simple data (charting/historical data becomes a little more complicated and you will probably find it's own software is potentially better than HS at doing this).
                  Thanks mrhappy! I will probably look at buying it after Christmas unless someone gets it for me Then at that point if I need help getting it connected I will be back here.

Thanks again all.

Comment

Another option....

Another possible option is to use Weather-Display software which supports several AcuRite Weather stations.

This in turn can be displayed in Homeseer via several methods including my free offering

There are a number of people here on the forums who use Weather Display to run and record their weather station data and is very comprehensive with numerous features. On the flip side it looks rather dated and obviously costs $$.

The good thing about going though this route is that you can change Weather stations (if you want to get more serious about weather data/accuracy) without any complex configuration changes and there will be no changes required in Homeseer.
                    Jon

Comment

Here originally purchased a low budge Fine Offset weather station for around $75 a few years back. It is still working fine today and just noticed it for ~$ 60 USD today on a UK website.

Searching on Ebay seeing these at around $130 USD which personally is a bit high.

There are a few rebranded clones of the Fine Offset weather stations out there in Internetlandia and most likely you could fine one for less than $100 today.

I am also using Davis Weather stations today.

Touchscreen Weather Station

Here too have switched over to running CumulusMX on an RPi2 and it works great and plays well with Homeseer.

I have the RPi2 Velcro'd to the back of the Davis Console.
                      Last edited by Pete; November 30, 2015, 06:08 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I didn't see any at the Costco that I went to but I could have missed it as well.
                        I went to the Costco by my work today at lunch and they did have the AcuRite 5-in-1 Color Weather Station W/PC Connect for $79.99 in stock.

Now to see who I can get to buy this for me for Christmas.

If I get it I will report back as it looks like there are a few different ways to make this work including what jon00 said with the Weather-Display software is I want to pay for that and go that route.

Comment

Hi Jon,
                          Is this still the best way to go for AcuRite? I'm looking at the 5-in-1 Weather Environment System with PC Connect and My AcuRite. Does the PC Connect make a difference?

Comment

Jon00's Cumulus script / plugin works with a Cumulus text file.

Cumulus(MX) will not work with the AcuRite weather stations.

PC Connect is just proprietary software for the AcuRite weather stations.

See here:

Cumulus Supported Devices

Here switching over to using the Meteostick which also works with the Acurite weather stations.

Thinking that RFXCom may also work with the Accurite weather stations.

Here switching over from CumulusMX to WeeWx for my weather software.

WeeWx will allow me to combine the weather station stuff with my 1-Wire stuff plus using wireless sensors.

I have been using the Davis weather station for years now and considering trying the new Acurite weather station.

The Davis connection today is via the Davis wireless console. I can add the Meteostick and get the same data as the console.

The Acurite weather station would work the same way leaving the console in place and just using Homeseer to read the radio stuff from the weather station.
                            Last edited by Pete; November 17, 2017, 10:13 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffster678 View Post
                              Hi Jon,
                              Is this still the best way to go for AcuRite? I'm looking at the 5-in-1 Weather Environment System with PC Connect and My AcuRite. Does the PC Connect make a difference?
                              I don't own an AcuRite Weather Station but running Weather Display still looks the easiest route to integrate with Homeseer. As Pete states, if you can convert its output to a Cumulus text file, you have another option.
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X