X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Tools+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes it's another app to download. Works pretty well and if you have the smartstick+ or znet it works pretty well on distance.

Comment

I just used my web browser, so very easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok thank you all for your input.
          The Z net is arriving Friday, so is the dedicated PC to run HS3. I have a test installation of HS3 on my main PC, with all my RFXcom devices already set up (about 30ish) and my Foscam cameras. So first step will be installing HS3 on the new PC, then trying to move everything over from my main PC so I don't have to set up all the sensors again. Listening to all your comments, I think I'll just start excluding/including some unimportant zwave stuff throughout the house (to keep network connectivity on both systems). Then I can start playing around a little, create timers and maybe start with recreating some logic. Then I can start importing the important stuff, hot water, heating, AC etc

Comment

To move over what you have already done, install hs3 on the new machine, but don't register it. Then take your hs3 folder from the machine you have been working on and copy it to the new machine over your new install. It will keep the work you have done, and your devices. You will probably have to deal with different com ports, but that can be adjusted in the plugins.

Comment

I think I read somewhere not to copy .lf files, but to rather reinstall plugins ?

Comment

I am not sure about that, but I know what I listed has always worked when moving to a new machine.

Also do the same when restoring from backups. I have the HS folder backed up completely each night and to restore just copy over what I already have.

Plugins have never been an issue with this either.

Comment

so.... assuming I didn't want to run both vera and HS at the same time ... could I :

could I just add HS as a secondary to Vera and have it pick up all the devices.

then transfer HS to primary, and turn off the Vera?

Comment

I did that when I left Vera 1. :-)

Comment

Yes, you can,

See the thread below, However, you will need to modify the process to align to HS3 menu and options.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175130

Comment

thanks... read through that, but definitely needs some updating. so posting what i have found so far.

From someone on the Vera forums, this was the step to add HS :

You add the secondary controller to the primary one as if it's just another zwave device.

On the vera, click on add device and select the method, then in the homeseer menu, go to plugins, zwave and controller management. (assuming you already created the new interface for the stick), click on the actions pull down menu and select receive from another network. Keep the two devices close for a couple of minutes and it should add as a secondary controller and download all the device info.

in reading this, sounds like HS becomes the secondary (i'm too chicken to try this yet).

if so, in the vera UI5 settings under add device/advances, there is also the option to add "vera to another zwave network". also Controller shift.

Anyone with more courage than i try this?

Comment

The alternative it can all be done in Vera before moving to HS...

Backup and then change z-wave device to the USB and then restore.

Then of course you turn of Vera and plug the USB device into HS, import devices and Bobs your uncle.

Comment

By the way, yes I did do both the above when I returned to HS as I wanted to get some of the Vera plugins ongoing. I later switched it off.

You are quite safe as Vera back up can be restored very easily and homeseer has granular control over deletions of devices and the z-wave networks

Comment

@brientim

that Bob... always so helpful!

so... just so I don't screw this up. Mostly since I already have started a very minor conversion of a few of my devices over manually. Do I:

1. make vera backup (including zwave network)
                              2. pull the zwave stick from HS and insert into Vera
                              3. somehow include the stick? is the controller shift, or "add vera to another network???
                              4.Restore backup. Is there a step 3.5 where I reset? otherwise, wouldn't my devices still be there and I wouldn't need the restore?
                              5. Shut down vera, pull USB and insert into HS
                              6. Import devices through zwave config menu.
                              7. and i'm good to go? does it bring rooms over, or do I have to go through each and set that up?

and, since i'm really asking some questions here....

1. do I keep the USB setup on the HS before all this, or start from scratch, and then add that as a new zwave controller?
                              2. sounds like no gotchas. assume I can run an optimization if I want it to rethink my mesh paths (or even necessary).
                              3. I also got a znet yesterday. any better reason to use this (with or instead of zwave stick)
                              4. and lastly (for now :-) ), i'm finding a few devices not yet supported in Imperhome, like RGB support. If I want to leave them on Vera for now... this method sounds like it might be a mistake, as if I turn Vera back on, I've got duplicate systems running? Seems like you did this as well... so just want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

Thanks so much !!!!

Comment

The changes to your processes are as follows:

3. You change the Vera settings to use the external USB instead of the internal... you will need to determine the USB port and for each of the Vera variants this has been different.

Then restore including the z-wave network as this would then set the z-wave network up on the z-stick. Note: when you restore the Vera will be configured to look at the internal z-ZWave.

Two way you can try to find the USB info is to SSH and the ls /dev/ttyUSB*

Or via LUCI
                                http://Vera_ip/cgi-bin/webif/info.sh

Other info you may find helpful if the above is not successful
                                https://m.reddit.com/r/homeautomatio...t&compact=true

7. No rooms, just devices. The z-wave stick only contains info on the z-wave network all of the rest of the info reside on the Vera itself. From the interface you can select multiple devices and move and create rooms as you go.

@@@@
                                1. No, you delete the z-wave from HS as it will have a new z-wave network info that needs to be added.

3. Correct. This is very important. Battery devices need to be awake too. You can verify info from menu z-wave > node information

3. That will depend on your own situation and you now have flexibility to divide and conquer.

4. You can manage that two way. But you'll need to determine the most appropriate as RGB management will depend on the device itself

A. Reset Vera z-wave network and this remove one of your issues and any conflict albeit perceived or real. Problem gone!

B. Vera integration with ImperiHome is fast and the new beta, ImperiHome and Vera beta is suppose to make that faster

They are various options in the HS plugin to expose controls but as HS manages things differently, post questions on the ImperiHome thread and see what comes back.

Comment

Working...
                                X