Linux and HS3 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux and HS3 ???

I have had one too many bad experiences with Windows patches and automatic reboots. Win7 was fine, but the forced updates on Win10 make HS3 unreliable.

I've helped a lot of people set up HS3, and now I'm getting calls when their systems don't restart. Despite substantial effort, including setting policy so systems don't reboot, eventually the patches have to be applied and something almost always goes wrong so that HS3 doesn't start properly. One of those systems has been stuck for 2 hours at 43% applying the latest updates. As a result, some critical events were missed. Windows patches have become too unreliable and the volume is overwhelming. I have no idea how production operations deal with the patch problem.

I need HS3 running ALL the time, particularly in situations where it is monitoring security events. I would like some guidance on how well HS3 operates on Linux and, in particular, recommendations for specific Linux variants. What are the limitations of HS3 on Linux? How can I find out which plugins don't work under Linux?

Any/all recommendations most welcome!

Rog

Yeah, Linux appliances just run indefinitely with almost no ongoing maintenance required.
    For the linux plugin breakdown, you'll get that info here: https://homeseer.com/homeseer-plug-ins/
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Instability due to patches, OS quirks, etc. led me to switch over to Linux a few years ago. It was actually one of the things I was looking forward to most in HS3. I do occasionally have issues with HS3 crashing due to memory leak or some such thing, but it's infrequent on my Ubuntu system. The Zee S2 in my other home had some instability issues, so I just put an automatic reboot in once a week and haven't had a problem since.

Plugin support for Linux is I'd say pretty good overall, especially for newer plugins. Some older ones will likely never make the jump from Windows. I ended up writing a couple more scripts to take care of things some of the older Windows plugins did. I'm very happy with stability and functionality since switching to Linux.
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Linux & HS3 ???

Thank you both. The few plugins we rely upon are all compatible. We will have to keep BlueIris on Windoze, unfortunately, because we haven't found an equivalent Linux capability and we rely upon its selective, scheduled motion recognition capabilities to trigger HS events. But the plugin will work. We may be able to script the firewall to prevent external access to the BlueIris box and let it run a long time before supervising patch application.

Now to build the first box <grin>.

Rog

Comment

Good luck in your build! I also use BlueIris on a separate dedicated Windows VM. ZoneMinder I think is the closest Linux alternative (and Pete is also a strong advocate for here), but it hasn't been maintained in quite some time and is not as easy to use as BI.
          HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Working...
          X