Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Started

Greetings!

I am in need of a security system that can be automated with HomeSeer (of course), that works with the GE 5800 series wireless sensors, and that I can get monitoring for using the Internet. Tall order I know.

Can the Concord 4 do all of this?

The HomeSeer piece I got with the automation module, check.

GE 5800 series wireless sensors (S-Line) I am pretty sure work with C4 - anybody know any different?

The monitoring via TCP/IP is got me a little baffled because I cannot see anything in the parts list that even suggests Ethernet or TCP/IP. Does anybody know of an add-on for the C4 that allows this?

Thanks!

Rick
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
    Greetings!

I am in need of a security system that can be automated with HomeSeer (of course), that works with the GE 5800 series wireless sensors, and that I can get monitoring for using the Internet. Tall order I know.

Can the Concord 4 do all of this?

The HomeSeer piece I got with the automation module, check.

GE 5800 series wireless sensors (S-Line) I am pretty sure work with C4 - anybody know any different?

The monitoring via TCP/IP is got me a little baffled because I cannot see anything in the parts list that even suggests Ethernet or TCP/IP. Does anybody know of an add-on for the C4 that allows this?

Thanks!

Rick
    Matt is the sensor, wireless expert so hopefully he'll pop in shortly.

Monitoring via TCP/IP is to support connecting via Enet/Serial adapter like Global Cache, et al. Typically when the serial line would be too long..

Z

Comment

Can't help with the question but had to say hi to Tink....
      Don

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post

Monitoring via TCP/IP is to support connecting via Enet/Serial adapter like Global Cache, et al. Typically when the serial line would be too long..

Z
        No, you cannot do monitoring via RS-232. It is not monitoring like talking to the panel as HomeSeer does, it is monitoring as in reporting to a service so they dispatch police/fire/etc.
        Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
          Can't help with the question but had to say hi to Tink....
          Hi Don! Been a long time hasn't it? I hope all is well with you!
          Regards,

Comment

No, you cannot do monitoring via RS-232. It is not monitoring like talking to the panel as HomeSeer does, it is monitoring as in reporting to a service so they dispatch police/fire/etc.
            Ah, alarm monitoring, not PI monitoring.

I'm assuming you don't want to use a 3rd party monitoring party via the phone line?

When you say "Internet monitoring" what did you have in mind; Direct or via 3rd party? You can monitor direct via HS3 and the PI, no?

(I've disconnected my ADT interface as it's no longer cost effective since the panel notifies me directly now via HS and I can check the onsite cameras before I decide to call the police/fire directly.)

Z

Comment

Ah, alarm monitoring, not PI monitoring.

I'm assuming you don't want to use a 3rd party monitoring party via the phone line?

When you say "Internet monitoring" what did you have in mind; Direct or via 3rd party? You can monitor direct via HS3 and the PI, no?

(I've disconnected my ADT interface as it's no longer cost effective since the panel notifies me directly now via HS and I can check the onsite cameras before I decide to call the police/fire directly.)

Z
              It's for my son - a millennial - who doesn't have a landline. He won't want to pay for cellular service for the panel either as his big concern is more about making sure the fire department gets called to get the dogs out if there is a fire when they are not home than it is about burglary.

We started with a Qolsys panel which is good, but it has no integration capabilities at all. So I want to put in a panel that can still use the same wireless sensors installed for the Qolsys panel, but can be armed/disarmed/etc. by HomeSeer. Any of the GE/Interlogix panels should work for the sensors, it's finding a panel that can communicate with HomeSeer and be monitored via internet that is the challenge.
              Regards,

Comment

It's for my son - a millennial - who doesn't have a landline. He won't want to pay for cellular service for the panel either as his big concern is more about making sure the fire department gets called to get the dogs out if there is a fire when they are not home than it is about burglary.

We started with a Qolsys panel which is good, but it has no integration capabilities at all. So I want to put in a panel that can still use the same wireless sensors installed for the Qolsys panel, but can be armed/disarmed/etc. by HomeSeer. Any of the GE/Interlogix panels should work for the sensors, it's finding a panel that can communicate with HomeSeer and be monitored via internet that is the challenge.
                Daughter uses SimpliSafe for the same reason, but it's a paid service. He's not comfortable with monitoring it himself via HS3 and making the call?
                Will his Fire/Police depts respond to auto calls from equipment (ie not from a human) ?

Z

Comment

Greetings!
                  OK. Are these actually Honeywell 5800 sensors? If yes, I'd have to check the specs to see if they are actually compatible.

I thought at one time there was a expansion module to allow Concord connection to ethernet/TCPIP but it was from one company. That would be putting your eggs in one basket though and that company may not even be around anymore. I don't know of any monitoring thru TCPIP. It would probably be tough to handle all the different protocols? It might have been Alarm.com's wireless module??

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
                    OK. Are these actually Honeywell 5800 sensors? If yes, I'd have to check the specs to see if they are actually compatible.
                    Hi Matt - thanks. They are not Honeywell 5800 but compatible. They are S-Line which is GE/Interlogix protocol like the Honeywell 5800 series I believe. 519.5MHz.

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
                    I thought at one time there was a expansion module to allow Concord connection to ethernet/TCPIP but it was from one company. That would be putting your eggs in one basket though and that company may not even be around anymore. I don't know of any monitoring thru TCPIP. It would probably be tough to handle all the different protocols? It might have been Alarm.com's wireless module??
                    Alarm.com is a good module if that is what it is, but that would be a deal breaker because we're not paying a monthly fee for monitoring and Alarm.com service when there is HomeSeer. I'll have to get on the Interlogix site and see what they say.
                    Regards,

Comment

Why does the panel need to be monitored via internet if it's connected to HS3? Can't he just monitor HS3 (which is already internet capable) or is it a matter of reliability? My Concord panel alerts me (via HS3) of EVERY change it sees (which is why I dumped ADT).

Z

Comment

Why does the panel need to be monitored via internet if it's connected to HS3? Can't he just monitor HS3 (which is already internet capable) or is it a matter of reliability? My Concord panel alerts me (via HS3) of EVERY change it sees (which is why I dumped ADT).
                        If my son is sitting in a meeting at work, he is not about to watch his phone and read texts from his house, so he would not see one that says "There is a fire." so that he can jump up and call his local fire department.
                        Regards,

Comment

If my son is sitting in a meeting at work, he is not about to watch his phone and read texts from his house, so he would not see one that says "There is a fire." so that he can jump up and call his local fire department.
                          Make sense. Just curious though, how would the system contact 911 over the internet (I'm assuming that's what he wants to happen) if there's a fire alarm, since there's no phone access? Most 911 centers require phone notification...

Z

Comment

Make sense. Just curious though, how would the system contact 911 over the internet (I'm assuming that's what he wants to happen) if there's a fire alarm, since there's no phone access? Most 911 centers require phone notification...

Z
                            A security system reports to a monitoring service. That reporting was always done via POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) service (phone line). Later came the advent of cellular boards so that the reporting can be done via cellular without the worry about somebody cutting the phone line. That has been around for a while now - the newest (which is not that new, really) is reporting via the Internet. It is kind of like going back to the phone line era in that if your Internet is down then it cannot report, but USUALLY the Internet is used with a failover of a conventional phone line.

However, it gets to the monitoring service, the service has a list of procedures it follows. For a burglary it might be to call the house, you, your wife, and if none of those result in an "all OK" password, then the police are dispatched BY the monitoring service. They do not call 911, they call a phone number for the police department. In the case of fire, it may be different in that they are told to dispatch the fire department, THEN try to contact people.

But that is how security monitoring works and why you pay for the service - the panel is NOT allowed (by law) to contact the police, fire department, or ambulance service directly.
                            Regards,

Comment

Rick, have you considered DSC with envisalink? I know it means replacing equipment you may already have, but what you are asking for can be done very easily with that combo and hooks into HS very easily. With pushover alerts, you get a pseudo monitoring without the monthly cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X