• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaker client not playing to rear speakers

hs 2.1.171
    neo voices v3.1
    xp sp2

I recently changed the computer that I have HS running on and now seem to be having an issue with the speaker client. In my setup I use a sound card that has jacks for both front and rear speakers. One jack goes to a set of speakers at the computer. The other jack is wired through the house to sets of speakers in other rooms. This is the same setup that I've been running on the old computer with win2k and hs 2.1.162 (although a different computer, OS and sound card).

Since I've changed to the newer computer with xp sp2 - TTS no longer works through the rear channel. The speaker client will play wav files through the rear speakers. As far as I've tested everything else works through both the front and rear speakers.

Everywhere that I can find I have the default audio device set to the sound card.

MS media player v9 mp3 plays front and rear
    MS media player v9 wav file plays front and rear
    control panel- speech- text to speech- preview voice (Paul 16k default) plays front and rear
    speaker client WAV file - plays front and rear
    speaker client TTS - plays front only

Does anyone have suggestions on any settings I may have missed or is it time for a help ticket?

thanks
    jim

Jim,
    You didn't mention it but are you starting 2 speak apps on your server?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

No, only one instance of the speaker client.

Comment

Originally posted by jsteed View Post
        No, only one instance of the speaker client.
        I am using neospeech Kate and Paul myself also, and thes voices are not Dolby surround in any way, they are just Stereo. Most likely that is how the speaker clients address them.

If you want this (I would not think so) you could try to disable the Dolby surround on the card and change it to a 4 speaker surround (not dolby) setting.

Hope this helps,

Wim
        -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

The card is configured as quadrophonic. If I set it for any of the "surround' settings then the rear speakres don't work (well, they work but not for 'regular' sound)

jim

Comment

What sound card are you using?
            I've had this problem with a Soundblaster Live since switching to SAPI 5. The Microsoft Genie using SAPI 4 worked OK (HS 1.x). I wrote it off to a MS problem, but maybe a driver issue with soundblasters?

Comment

It's a fairly generic card. It's identified as a C-Wave Audio in the hardware listings. The old sound card was a Maxim Muse by Guilliemont. I would have kept that sound card but I can't find XP drivers for it. The maxim worked under Win2k with sapi 5.
              jim

Comment

Well, to followup- I found a setting within a mixer utility that came with the card driver that took care of it. The setting was "enable virtual 5.1 surround sound". Once I enabled that speech from the spaker client started working through both front and rear channels.
                jim

Comment

You can also DL a utility that will turn a SB live 5.1 channel card into 3 different stereo devices.

Comment

Working...
                  X