Batteries Outside.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batteries Outside.....

Now that it's really cold I bet I'm not the only one who is wondering as I see my outdoor battery devices drop to 10% or less,, should or could I have done anything to insulate the batteries from the cold.. Maybe that self sealing silicone tape or that rubber dip for tools ???

Has anybody tried anything and what were / are the results ??

Ideas....

I had a ds10a and x10 security motion in my 4x8 shed [back window open so gets cold] for a few years on same batteries. Somehow they got lost but never had probs w batts...
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Lithium batteries have a lower temp rating. They seem to last a lot longer in the winter.

Comment

My Ambient Weather station has two "AA" batteries that last about a year including a fairly cold winter. I use Energizer lithium batteries for this device.

I plan on installing z-wave motion sensors outdoors but they'll all be USB powered.

Comment

I've had better experience with the lithium batteries also.
          Dick
          HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Batteries OK ??

Funny my X10 AAA and AA devices, Oregon devices and the 9 volt in the Insteon motion detector {After replacing the snap connector.} appear to work fine.. The issue appears to be only related to CD123As mostly in 3 Philio Motion detectors.. Being nice all 3 of these devices have been problematic , OK one appears to not be problematic yet it only used maybe 10 times a year so I'm really not sure.. Does anybody out there have Philio devices how do they appear to perform ??

Ok ,, I will reopen this thread in the Zwave forum,,, Thanks your replies,, they make me believe it's not a battery issue.. I was basing that it is / was a battery issue based off 4 cr123As devices in the cold yet one of the devices a tilt sensor appears to still reporting the battery every couple days and is reporting 40% battery today so it appears to be working...

Once again thanks for the replies... Dave

Comment

Working...
            X