Sense Energy Monitor API available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sense Energy Monitor API available

I know there has been discussion about the Sense Energy Monitor before, but it's a year old now. I'm just wondering if anyone has started working on incorporating it into HomeSeer.
    I am not a programmer and I wouldn't even know where to start with this. However, in my research I found a GitHub page with the Sense API.
    My electric company in RI (National Grid) apparently is doing a pilot program with Sense. They will install a Sense monitor in your house and monitor it for 18 months. You get to keep the monitor after it's done. Obviously I signed up for it right away but I'm hoping for some integration into HomeSeer.
    So, is anyone working or interested in working on a Sense plugin?

+1

I recently bought a Sense and I also would LOVE to see it integrated into HomeSeer.
    Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Sense.com

+3 I just purchased one of these units to test and API would be awesome

Devoir

Comment

Sense Energy Monitor

I have had a Sense energy monitor up and running for 3 months now.

Since then I've setup my HS3 system (moving from Smartthings). Before trying HS3, I played around with Home Assistant and it actually had a straightforward way to add input from Sense.

Anyway, I've started looking at what it would take to read the total usage amount via a script. I'm able to run the Python script from the GitHub page linked above, but so far haven't made any headway...

Comment

I may buy one and create a plugin. I've been wanting one, but was waiting for an API.

Comment

I contacted them to see if they are interested in partnering up on a plugin (they give access to the API, I write the plugin). They said there is no public API yet, but there may be one soon.

I may still write one as people seemed to have reverse engineered the one they use for mobile apps, but I need to be very clear (since this was an issue with my Harmony Hub plugin). This would not be an official API and it could literally break at any moment without notice.

Comment

So I"m thinking about getting one, but reading up on them and I hear they don't actually capture everything and sometimes you can't always logically link the device it says to the actual device (as it only tells you the type of device).

Some reports I've read are that it's only picked up 20% or so of their usage. Does it at least give you a total amount used no matter what?

Comment

Sold mine...

I actually just replaced mine with the Aeon Labs Gen 5 HEM.

Over the past month, its lost its connection randomly several times, and I would have to re-establish wifi. Not sure if interference was culprit or not.

I also wasn't overly impressed with its ability to identify different loads... In fact, something odd occured with one of my loads (Microwave). When it first identified, I confirmed that it was the microwave by starting it. However, recently, in reviewing usage, it would show the microwave running numerous times when I knew it wasn't. Something definitely got crossed up...

Anyway, I am really primarily interested in overall usage, and the Aeon Labs does just fine for that...

Comment

Originally posted by WhitW View Post
                  I actually just replaced mine with the Aeon Labs Gen 5 HEM.

Over the past month, its lost its connection randomly several times, and I would have to re-establish wifi. Not sure if interference was culprit or not.

I also wasn't overly impressed with its ability to identify different loads... In fact, something odd occured with one of my loads (Microwave). When it first identified, I confirmed that it was the microwave by starting it. However, recently, in reviewing usage, it would show the microwave running numerous times when I knew it wasn't. Something definitely got crossed up...

Anyway, I am really primarily interested in overall usage, and the Aeon Labs does just fine for that...
                  I liked the idea of seeing exactly what was using power, but it seems like it's just not ready for prime time.

I mean, if someone wants to buy me a sense to use while I develop a plugin, I won't turn it down, but at this point I think I've decided to just hold off for now due to the initial cost and it not providing exactly what I want.

Comment

I have been using Sense for about a year now. It has been slow finding things but it has found most of the large appliances in the house. For the smaller items they have added the ability for the Sense hub to read data from Smart Plugs. This allows it to start finding the smaller items that are harder to understand. The premise of the device is solid. It allows finding of items based on signal. This means that you don't have to by any other "Smart" devices for help. Each device has a signal but some have tons of signals. The reason some think they have problems is because appliance have gotten so advanced. Imagine a washer now. It has a signal for on, off, every cycle change, digital displays, ect.... Sense just takes a while to figure out what signals are coming from your washer vrs your tv as they are very similar.

The thought of having a good plugin that would integrate Sense and Homeseer is fantastic. Having all the Sense data accessible to HS Mobile...even better.

If someone is interested in creating a plugin I have included the link to their API pages Also included is an API for Solar Tech. Thanks

https://developer.enphase.com/docs/quickstart.html

https://github.com/scottbonline/sense

Thanks for reading this and would love to know if someone is interested or not.

Comment

I wanted to bump this topic up again to see if there was any interest?

Comment

Definitely interested - but don't have the ability to write the plugin unfortunately. I am running Sense with Solar and getting some really interesting information from it.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                          Does it at least give you a total amount used no matter what?
                          Yes it does.

Comment

Just spoke with their technical support on another issue and they said nothing new on API.

Comment

It is disappointing that there is no plugin for Sense Energy Monitor or Nest thermostat. Two smart things I'd like HS3 to be connected with.

Comment

Working...
                              X